No announcement yet.

'87 Colony Park LS. Yea boy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 100mph was down a hill. Average speed for the trip was 68. I went back out and examined it, top of the radiator is peeled open like a sardine can. The water pump is circulating, possibly a stuck thermo? Or, I have no idea. Just made an order; thermo, cap, radiator, hoses, coolant, and VDO temp gauge. $240 out the door at the Napa .6mi away.
    Dave- collector of the old, slow, and free
    86 F250 SD. RC,LWB, 300/6, NP 435, 4.10lsd Sterling- 96k miles. Sanford & Son status
    87 GMCP. Blue/blue cloth. Low option. Beat and bruised. Trans makes werewolf sounds.

Comment

radiator cap seized up up probably and the pressure got too high.

yeah... I know about the 85mph thing... but with the lopo panthers... they really don't like going much over 90 anyhow.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

They were probably not built for it like you say.
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Cool wagon! Glad to see you saved her and are fixing it up
          -2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor - Daily Driver - 17" Bullitt's, 235/55/17 Goodyear Eagles, Ex-NH State Police, best 1/4 mile time; 15.3 @ 90 mph
          -1987 Crown Victoria 2-Door - Project - 90k miles, Summit chambered muffler, Sunpro gauges, parked since 2010, fate tbd

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
            Actually it was a Federal law that prohibited speedometers for the general public to read beyond 85mph. The theory was people would drive slower if it looked like they were at the cars limits. I have forgotten the woman"s name who created the law, but I am glad I have forgotten her name. Still owe her a kick in the butt for that dumb law.
            joan claybrook........

Comment

Quick update on the wagon. Still haven't washed it or done any of the fun projects I want to. Ended up not getting home from that trip until the end of this week. The order from Napa was wrong. 180* thermo, plastic radiator, etc etc. Ended up getting everything for about the same $ at an Auto Zone ~20 minutes away. Buttoned the car up and made it about 12 miles down the road. Around the time I noticed knocking the little check engine light came on. Several of the smaller bypass and heater hoses were dripping here or there. That, and me probably not getting enough air out, over heated it again. Waited for it too cool down, drove back to my buddy's about 3am when it was cool outside. She wasn't knocking.

Miraculously my compression and leak down still checks out. I went nuts and replaced every cooling piece I could find under the hood. Fan clutch and sensors/ resistors too. She's finally running about 195* consistently and feels noticeably happier. Made 23mpg on the trip home.

Still having trans issues. I've noticed that the shudder either starts in the rear, then moves forward, or does the opposite. Seems to reverse itself each time I stop. Sure enough, I can wiggle the driveshaft. Rear seal is still leaking. I was at Lowe's this morning and took my dipstick in to the "true light" they have at the paint counter. It's a bit pink. I also have no issues if I adjust my TV cable, but it seems to be constantly slipping back. By the time I drive somewhere it's back where it was and the car is acting up again. At this point I'm looking for a good Ford trans guy around me. I think (hope?) I have several small issues, and the trans itself is somewhat healthy still.
              86 F250 SD. RC,LWB, 300/6, NP 435, 4.10lsd Sterling- 96k miles. Sanford & Son status
              87 GMCP. Blue/blue cloth. Low option. Beat and bruised. Trans makes werewolf sounds.

Comment

Looked into my door card today. Axle code 5. Seems I have a 3.27 open. I was under the impression they were all 3.07 or 3.55. But I'll take it.

My speedometer reads 10mph high. At 0 it's on 0, but above say 45, it reads a constant 10 high. Sound like a common plastic gear failure, or should I look for signs of a rear end re-gearing?

Comment

I would look at tire height if you haven't already.
                  sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

there's a tag on the rear end itself, one of the bolts that holds the differential cover on should also be holding on a tag. might not be able to make it out, but wipe the tagger off and numbers will likely appear.
                    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Thanks, '90. Tires are 205/75/r15. I'll look at the diff. Spin the tires while the trans show has it in the air if need be. There's a plethora of similar age fomoco in the yards, so I'll look into the speedo internals if I need to.

Got woken up at 4am to drive to the gf's and kill a snake. So it gave me some great very dim dawn time to work on the paint. It went so-so. I've got free day time tomorrow so I'll have a chance to get at it. Today I used wool on the angle buffer with Meguiar's Heavy Cut otc compound. Buffed that out afterwards with water spritz and a tshirt. I think it needs some clay bar. From the little bit I could see there's still some sap and crap etch down in there. The paint is noticeably smoother to the touch, and no longer getting oxidized blue on my hands hahaha.

I went at the brightwork this afternoon with some drill mounted polishers and random chemicals. Cleaned the outside of all the glass with an old bong cleaning trick as well. She's cleaning up better than my last vehicle, so I'm pleased. The paint has a little peel on the bends in the roof and two random spots on the behind the rear tire rockers. Looks like some tar or road salt issues.

Here's what I started with. Felt like unsanded wood

Here she is after washing with soap, water, and a 2000 grit sanding block instead of a sponge. Couple trips of that and some near-boiling water at 2000 psi cleaned it up pretty well

Hard to tell from my crappy picture and the still-shitty right side. But, on the left is the paint that wasn't soaped and sanded. Right is done, but no buffer yet.

Here's the passenger fender top and hood with the buffing done. There's a bit of haze that didn't come off until I used some diluted spray wax and a cotton shirt visible in the top. I think tomorrow will be another cut/buffing, clay bar, and then the swirl remover. A good washing and let it sit out in the sun for a little bit. More cleaning if it needs it after that, then finally some applications of Zymol wax with the baby orbital buffer.

Comment

Whenever I attempt to do any paint correct work I try to always clay bar the area first to ensure the least amount of contaminants possible. Looks like it is turning up great though. I always do suggest doing this to any old paint because it can make a noticeable difference.
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Nicely done and nice project

Packman

Comment

I tried the clay bar first David, but there was just too much. By the time I'd done a 1x1 area the bar was turning into little pieces like lint haha. As it stands now I've still got a good 1-2doz spots to clay just on the hood. I wonder if she was ever washed... Forgot this picture. It's the bonnet and rag after doing just the hood lol.

Comment

Heard back from the Trans shop. Time to drop it and start looking inside. Should be fun...

Comment

Working...
                              X