Differential Compatibilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Differential Compatibilities

Hey guys I'm having a really big nightmare with my rear end and its just a non stop circle of bad news so it would really help me out if you guys can tell me from what years rear end parts interchange. Thanks.

1989 Mercury Grand Marquis
    8.8" 3.08 Posi.

axles are the same pretty much from 79-91 with disc from 92-97 for direct bolt on entire rear axle (non-abs cars - ABS cars have different wheel hubs but should be otherwise the same pretty much). The carrier and gears will interchange with ANY ford 8.8 ever built.

what exactly do you need as far as parts?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Well my car is on the lift at school so this is without taking the cage out. The side and satellites gears are scratched and the clutches are shot. So I got new clutches and looking at the one of the side gears one of them have scratches so I'm going to take out the cage and check the cage for any sort of damage. For a open and posi diff are the cages different?

Comment

yes. I've been informed that the open diffs have humps inside that the spiders ride on while the posi has a flat surface that the clutches grip. That's the only real difference though. Any posi unit from an 8.8 will fit no issues... though if you're just replacing the spiders and clutches... you can get those no problem I think from most speed shops (summit racing, jegs, etc)

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

If your carrier is shot, you can just buy a complete ready to go unit for about 200 bucks on summit. Any 28 spline carrier for a Ford 8.8" rear will do the job. Last I checked, the clutch kit alone was about 100 bucks.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

clutch kits are about $80... rebuild kits (including the S spring) about $110... loaded carrier... can't find a 28 spline unit for less than $300. Late model resto has stopped selling it and only has the 31 spline. Summit and Jegs don't even have the FRPP carriers at all.

Comment

So if I understood this correctly I can get a carrier that came off a open diff and put my posi hardware in it?

Comment

no. The open carriers do not have flat spots for the clutches to ride on, but raised (like half-sphere) bumps that take up the space the clutches otherwise would.

Comment

Hmm so I'll just prey that my carrier is ok and I guess i'll see where I stand at that point.

Comment

Chances are the carrier is fine...I don't think I've seen anyone frag a carrier recently. Most rear-end failures seem to stem from bearing issues...at least on daily drivers....if you're that far into it you might as well replace bearings and seals and if money allows, drop some 3.55-3.73's in...and if all else fails, borrow money from family to "fix your car"....lol. I remember when I was a teenager I would get reamed for spending money on go-fast goodies...but it was perfectly acceptable to have to replace a "broken" or "worn-out" part....needless to say, I was "fixing" my car almost every weekend...lol.

Good luck,
                    Don
                    '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

Well for me its was spinning only 1 tire with a posi so I prey that when I get back to school the carrier is fine. As for me asking for money to help get my car fixed. Well I'm alone on this one. My parents don't even want the car parked in front of the house let alone there going to help me fix it. There just waiting for the day I get rid of it. Its old, it keeps braking, takes allot of gas bla bla bla.

Comment

Working...
                      X