No announcement yet.

box rear end options to take 1000hp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just figured pricing on 9", 8.8 biult to sute me cost was almost the same. What I realy like are quick change rear ends.

Here is the one in my 70 Mustang It has been in about 8 cars some serious race cars and some street car of various power out put. It never been appart.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1402.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	1269904
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

I love a quick change rear end...if I could afford one I'd have a bigger hard on for it then I do 8.8's! lol A buddy of mine back up north got real lucky with a stock 8.8...just gears and a spool with c-clip eliminators...I don't know exact power output, but it went two seasons behind a 408 being spanked with a 250 shot to the tune of 9.90's...the spool came after those two seasons when he needed to rebuild....I suggested a 9" when he told me he would be adding a second stage of 250...haven't talked to him in years so who knows where it's at now.

BTW, I'm not trying to be a dick, but I sure do come off that way sometimes...lol.

-Don
      '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

A street rod winters quick change rear isnt that much differance in price than a built 8.8 or 9". A champ rear a bit more depending on how its oped out.
        A street rod rear only handles about 600 hp though.
        The weakest part of the 8.8 are the bearing caps. Only strange makes some stronger ones. There are also no c clip eliminators for a panther rear end as the flanges on the ends are different. Also some (most) eliminator kits are illeagle for road racing. Strange is one that offers road race style ones. I would just be leary of running 1000 HP using a 10 or 12 bolt chevy or the 8.8 ford which was coppied after the chevy units. There is a reasn the 9" is used in most racing. Sevel friends run them in there chevys.
        Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

I agree about the bearing caps...there are some nice aluminum diff covers with bearing cap supports built in to stiffen things up...I knew the flange on the box rears were different...but never looked into c-clip elminators for them....having 3 pinion bearings has always been a big advantage on the 9" also. I'm working my way from front to back...351...save money...t56...save money...super rear end...then start back at the front adding more power...lol.
          '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

well talked to allot of shops and companies including the big guys at strange and currie... looks like to have a 9" that will bolt up to a marquis is going to be atleast 6000 since its a complete custom build that they never ever do. And theyre saying that the carrier strength is far better in the 8.8 which makes perfect sense, and it looks like 8.8 is the way to go..

so im picking up a 8.8 in great shape (for the housing) from a up to 97 if I can find 1. Going to have it shortened 4" and have the strange 9" ends welded on, as well as weld up the center tubes... lots of brake options and no c-clips and big axle bearings. Im going to make adjustable lower control arm brackets to weld to the current brackets with a few mounting holes to varry how hard it hits the tires... then
            -detriot trutrac (helical gear diff)
            -my current ford 3.73 ring and pinion
            -custom moser 31spline axle shafts
            -billet steel bearing caps crom mark williams and studs
            -current rear end aluminum girdle with cap support bolts
            -multi piston disk brakes for the 9" ends to give me good holding power at the line
            -boxed cop control arms with all es poly bushings and addco sway bar and cut down wagon springs (with inner drag bags) with adjustable shocks and 305x30" street mt tires and 13.5x30 mt et streets at the track.
            Last edited by merc91; 11-04-2012, 10:37 PM.
            Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
            HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

so thats pretty well where im at as far as planning out the rear. any suggestions from you guys is always apreciated from a 21 yr old like myself. Its going to run me a little over 3 grand but its going to be a very strong rear with the goodies to get more enjoyable performance as far as succeding at the strip...
              fyi my stock 8.8 other than trac lock and 3.73's and girdle has pushed the boat down that strip in the 12's with 500fwhp haha.
              HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

thumbs up man! i give you props, being 21 and having that much dedication for a box panther. being 25, its good to see this lol. would love to see the beast in person one day.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

sounds like alot of work ahead.........how bout a 9" housing from a 72-79 torino based car? mountings are similar iirc

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

thanks allot, its more of an addiction ha... its just how I am, I get something out of the norm and mechanically Im addicted to the physics behind it all and making it nuts. Just finnished a 30hp 5speed quad motored minibike done up from scratch. would be nice to meet you guys, and see the cars. been deer hunting with a 1859 .58 cal musket (the first gun to take a actual cartrige) bayonette and all lol. I dunno im just like that. I definently want to make it to a meet so
                    etime

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
                      thumbs up man! i give you props, being 21 and having that much dedication for a box panther. being 25, its good to see this lol.
                      Geeze-A-Lou...try being 45! LOL

sigpic

I'd rather be a failure at something I love than a success at something I hate.
                      George Burns

Comment

just what ive seen and heard is that with the 9" having a smaller carrier, it is the weak link in the 9" when using a limited slip carrier. Spools or even lockers will handle anything and thats when the 9" is king. But the weak link being the bearing caps and having less tooth contact between the pinion and ring gear with the 8.8 can be made to handle more tq with billet caps and studs with the girdle also, and the 8.8 will be stronger than the 9" when going with a limited slip diff.

Comment

I've heard that folks arent that impressed with the truetrac diffs.

For relentless lock up, and a little compromise in drivability, I'd probably go with a traditional Detroit Locker.
                          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Seems like you are going all out... Then saying F' it.. Cut wagon springs? Those are beehive springs that taper on both ends? Can't just cut those and toss 'em back in. Spend the money and get some coilovers to go with the adjustable shocks. Then you can adjust pre-load, ride height, and spring rate easily. Why not make some adjustable hiem uppers for adjustment?

As for the tru-trac....Yeah, weak. Worthless in rain and snow. Either stay with the trac-lok or go with the old detroit locker..

allot, alot, a lot.....
                            Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I've seen detroits break in 8.8's under abuse where they just totally unlock and basically neutrals out. Spool it.
                              1989 Grand Marquis LS
                              flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

I had drove a detroit true trac in an 8.8 and loved it actually. Drove just like my 8 clutch trac lock but when hopping on the go pedal it seemlessly seemed to lock and without clutches to wear. But I have seen some stuff out there saying what you guys are saying with having poping and grinding going on back there... as well as tons of stuff saying people love it since they went from the 2 to 3 sets of helical gears in the newer linup? aswell as holding up to big hp well. Will a ford trac lock hold up to 800hp+ in my full weight merc on slicks?

and thanks, i will look at doing a coil over setup... I rather liked the cut (at the top) wagon springs with the air bags in them this past year with the gas-a-justs but eventually I will be changing and upgrading those suspension components and a rather like the idea of coil overs. There is very little in terms of adjustable shocks for these cars but what else is new, thats why we like mercs right.

Looking into those adjustable uppers aswell...
                                Last edited by merc91; 11-07-2012, 01:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X