3pt Rear Seats Belts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3pt Rear Seats Belts

Has anyone tried to upgrade a 2pt rear seat belt system to a more modern 3pt system?

sigpic

I'd rather be a failure at something I love than a success at something I hate.
    George Burns

I think 1987CP looked into it.

I remember my comment at the time was that you need a STRONG place to tie into and I'm not sure there's a proper place on a box. Whether there was a resolution to that, I don't remember. Certainly though I'd be worried about your high-mount anchor turning into little more than a whip with a chunk of ripped metal on it in a serious crash. Just welding a bolt to the bracing at the front of the trunk would probably not be sufficient.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

I haven't taken off the rear backing seat yet. I'm not sure how thick the metal is or if there's a location strong enough to mount a 3rd point. I wouldn't want to create a bad situation worse by having shards of metal flying inside the car during an accident.

Maybe there’s a location that can be beefed up with steel brackets or piping.

sigpic

I'd rather be a failure at something I love than a success at something I hate.
      George Burns

Comment

90 and 91 boxes had 3 point outboard rear belts....best bet...find one at the junkyard...remove upper panel...rob EVERYTHING there.....apply to pre 90 box,(may require welding,fabricating,cussing and hair pulling,no warranty expressed or implied....lol)
        Last edited by ; 08-16-2012, 07:03 PM. Reason: spelling...again!

Comment

I have been looking into this also. On the Fox Mustangs IIRC the mounting bosses were there on the earlier cars.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Later boxes had the upper shoulder point mounted to the c-pillar, and not the parcel shelf. I looked into this as well, and found it to not be in an ideal location. This placed the belt not in contact with your upper torso.

Comment

Originally posted by torquelover View Post
              Later boxes had the upper shoulder point mounted to the c-pillar, and not the parcel shelf. I looked into this as well, and found it to not be in an ideal location. This placed the belt not in contact with your upper torso.
              The '87 CVCS has some kind of non retractable retro fit belts, they were totally unacceptable for the kids as the belt was positioned across their necks....

The belts in the '91 GMCP are mounted to the same upper mount, but are on "hangers" that drop the pivot point about 8". They work for the offspring.

I got a set from a '90-'91 CVCS today, wrong color though (I wonder if they can be dyed w/o compromising integrity?).
              I hope the mounting boss for the retractor mech is in place.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Are there any new experiences/findins since 2012 regarding 3pt rear seat belt in a box?

I found this in my 88 Town Car manual:

So it seems there are some anchor point's and there was a mounting kit available back then!?

Maybe anyone has the product number of these kits?

Thanks,

Gerald
                1988 Lincoln Town Car
                1975 Lincoln Continental Mark IV

Comment

Working...
                X