looking to buy this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looking to buy this

a friend of mine found this car yesterday and wanted to know if i was interested in it. not sure it needs some work but the price is good 1,500.00 Click image for larger version

Name:	1985_mercury_grand_marquis-pic-1940156172105730517-296x222.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	1299109Click image for larger version

Name:	1985_mercury_grand_marquis-pic-1940156172105730517-296x222.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	1299109

Need more details... $1500 isn't a bad price if it runs, drives, and is relatively decent shape.

2000 Mercury Grand Marquis GS HPP - SOLD
    Wore out the cam chain tensioners and jumped time at 176k miles.

Comment

check under it for rust, especially on the passenger side just behind the wheel well on the frame. If it's like my cars though, it should be pretty rust free and only really need interior touch-ups. If you check it out... run it up to temp and see if there's any coolant smell coming from the vents (don't leave it all the way on AC, check for heat too). If you have no heat at all or you see/smell coolant leaks from the dash... run. Unless you like pain, changing the heater core is a big PITA. Since it's an 85... ask if the timing chain has been replaced. It probably came with that buggered plastic cam gear and those are also a PITA to change just due to having to take EVERYTHING off the front of the engine (very time consuming).

But, if all that's good and it runs and drives good, fluids look good etc etc... that's a good price.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Could always bypass the Heater Core, if that works for you.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Rust free (just cause you're in texas), not completely faded out paint, and ready to drive, that's an ok deal. Mileage?

Keep in mind there are almost literally a million of these things that were garage kept and lightly driven and mature owned and all that, plenty of fish in the sea.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Been there with regard to replacing the heater core, did it on my 88 GM. The GOOD THING is I'll what to do when I get another GM in the near future.

Comment

Private sale or on a dealer's lot?
              '79 Continental Town Car
              '90 Crown Victoria LTD
              '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

ok as the car goes it is a 1996 if i remember what joe said(my friend) condition good milage 90k+ bad transmission (sound ) bad exhaust some rust on under body.

Comment

Do you mean "'86"? The car in the photos is NOT a '96. Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

Personally I wouldn't even bother with the car at all, even if it was $500 dollars, that's just too much work for the price, if you look a little more I'm sure you'll find one for $1500 that doesn't need any work at all

sigpic

Comment

Rusty underside in texas and a dead tranny is MAYBE worth 1000 if everything else is mint... Unlikely though.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

That's a scrap car in Texas. $500... maybe 600.

Look elsewhere.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

sorry for the typo it is an 86. ok i will see if i can get the price down ty for the info an sorry again for the typo.

Comment

No problem. Just wanted to clear up the record. I would check for major repairs (rust, engine, trany, etc...). I would agree with an above post it is favored to spend a little more than less with major repairs. We have all seen members here trying to make "gold out of shit" with disasterous results! Bobby

Comment

I payed $1300 for my 88 last june, it was mint other than some very minor surface rust and I had to recharge the a/c.
                              2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

Comment

Working...
                              X