No announcement yet.

Exhaust Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Increasingly I like it quiet. Whenever something fails on the Towncar it gets stock-type exhaust that routes like factory. Hopefully the drone will die. I may also try some glasspacks in there as a resonator behind the muffler. There is currently a straight piece of pipe between the over-axle pipes and the tips. It would be easy enough to swap that out for a resonator.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Don't like obnoxious shitty-sounding exhaust like all these riddlers put on v6 camaros and shit, but i do like a healthy, throaty car. Doesn't work when you have a sad, weak engine though. Gotta have the power and compression to really fill it out. The other car really never sounded "good" until the top end was done. It not only moved more air, but the heads bumped the compression a good bit and that really fills a system nicely. Never really got to enjoy it but trying to get toward better, faster, stronger....

Comment

I like quiet myself. Although, the Flowmaster 40's & offroad H-pipe on Ashley's Mark VII sound fantastic. Bit drony between 60-75, but can't beat the sound though.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Flowbastards sound good under throttle, but drone like fuck when cruising. When i was younger i didn't mind but drone irritates the hell out of me now. That, coupled with the fact that i drive a full-size american sedan, indicates that i may be getting older....

Comment

Yep, that sounds like them. I do not like drone. Ashley doesn't seem to care. She doesn't like that it one wheel peels, that's her complaint about it.

LoL I would have driven one of these at 17. I tried to buy one actually, just didn't have the money. Was an 88 or 89 LTD, blue on blue. That was a nice car.
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

jUST removed flowcrap 40s off the under cover boss replaced with dynomax super turbos. Sound in the interior much quieter and reaches max boost much quicker.
              Creamy runs 2 1/2 quiet oem style mufflers cant remember the brand but about the same dimensions as the stock muffs they are coated inside and out against corrosion unlike most and last a long time.
              Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

I agree with Gadget, Knucklehead, and Derek; liked it loud when I was young; not so much now. Though, if somebody else has a loud car and I'm not in it; then I like it.

On the same note; when I first did the exhaust on the CV, my Mom was pissed that it was quiet; then I showed her the cutouts and she wasn't so mad. She also knows that the larger muffs are quieter muffs; so when she saw the Dynomax Hemi Super Turbos (part# 17749) on the porch, she was like, "oh............great, it'll be quiet."

Comment

I've never liked it loud... like drone worthy loud... but I like a good "let everyone know when I mat it" exhaust like I I have on the Cake. It doesn't drone, but it roars when you get it up in RPM. That said... I do like the quiet of the Expedition and my wife's 2000 vic when we're all on trips.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The moroso spiral flows are pretty good and i'll probably stick with them when i get everything on the new car. They sound fairly beefy but subdued. When i did the top-end on the other car they really woke up but still weren't obnoxious with 2 cats on the system. Kinda like an old big-block with turbo mufflers. Amazing really because these things are tiny, about the size of a 12" glasspack or so.

Comment

So I'm almost to the point of redoing the exhaust on my '90. With one of the Dynomax Impala tailpipes discontinued, there seemed to be no options for 2.5" tailpipes any longer.

I was able to find that Pypes offers a cat back system with no mufflers that includes an x-pipe and tailpipes for 1994-1996 Impalas. The x-pipe is stainless, the tails are aluminized. Beggars can't be choosers.

I got it off eBay from Jegs. It's a little pricy, but I'll try to recoup some of the cost be reselling the x-pipe separately.

I'll post pictures of the completed system once it's installed.
                      —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
                      1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
                      1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
                      1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Originally posted by Giraffe View Post
                        So I'm almost to the point of redoing the exhaust on my '90. With one of the Dynomax Impala tailpipes discontinued, there seemed to be no options for 2.5" tailpipes any longer.

I was able to find that Pypes offers a cat back system with no mufflers that includes an x-pipe and tailpipes for 1994-1996 Impalas. The x-pipe is stainless, the tails are aluminized. Beggars can't be choosers.

I got it off eBay from Jegs. It's a little pricy, but I'll try to recoup some of the cost be reselling the x-pipe separately.

Cool what mufflers are you gonna put on it?

Comment

Giraffe; I know this is a bit late; wish I saw this much earlier. Heartthrob exhaust systems still offer catbacks for the 1994-1996 Impalas. Unfortunately you would have to purchase the whole catback. That's what I did when I did the 1st dual conversion on my CV. I still have 1/2 of the mid-pipes from that exhaust system. Their tailpipes had smooth bends.

Comment

I remember when I did the exhaust on my 2-door, I had a hard time sourcing one side impala SS 2.5” tailpipe, but I got it...that was like 5yrs ago...almost as long ago as my last post!
                            '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
                              Giraffe; I know this is a bit late; wish I saw this much earlier. Heartthrob exhaust systems still offer catbacks for the 1994-1996 Impalas. Unfortunately you would have to purchase the whole catback. That's what I did when I did the 1st dual conversion on my CV. I still have 1/2 of the mid-pipes from that exhaust system. Their tailpipes had smooth bends.
                              No big deal. The Pypes system cost about the same. I should be able to recoup some cost by reselling the x-pipe. I hope so, at least.
                              —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
                              1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
                              1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
                              1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

No big deal. The Pypes system cost about the same. I should be able to recoup some cost by reselling the x-pipe. I hope so, at least.
                                The tails fit nicely and all under the car?

The walker pipes I picked up years ago for the impy ss were kind just the over axles. Had to extend to bumper from there. If these fit well for you I may pick up a complete tail like you did in the future.
                                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X