No announcement yet.

Exhaust Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which H pipe? Stock panther down pipes, or Mustang H pipe?

Mustangs headers work with Mustang H pipes
    Panther manifolds and lincoln logs work with panther down pipes
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

x2 on the making own down pipes, thats sorta what i did with the last car i had
      89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
        Which H pipe? Stock panther down pipes, or Mustang H pipe?

Mustangs headers work with Mustang H pipes
        Panther manifolds and lincoln logs work with panther down pipes
        I was going with Mustang headers, and then getting the H-pipe, but the two examples of that I have seen (at least on gt40 heads) hang pretty low.

1990 Colony Park, with HO swap.

Previously:
        1990 Lincoln Town Car Cartier.
        88 CVLX
        01 Marquis

Comment

They do; or at least on mine. I measured the ground clearance once and it was like 2-3" away from the pavement. I've hit many potholes and I can't get into the driveway without using ramps. I've patched the exhaust 3x's already as well. Very annoying.

Packman

Comment

That's worse than mine, but the 351W and catted's are probably different. I'm also running with the cat/pipes damned close to the crossmember. Still the lowest thing on the car though, by a noticeable amount, and that's no bueno.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
            160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
            waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Before the transmission went out on my car, I was going to get stock Mustang manifolds and have downpipes made, reduced to fit the Panther H-pipe since all that was new. That's an option, if you have newer stock duals and don't plan on engines upgrades soon. The 2" duals on a lopo are just fine, especially with better manifolds/headers and no cats.
              88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
              Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

I would either keep the stock exhaust, or go aftermarket mustang headers to the mustang h-pipe.
                On a lopo motor, going to factory duals nets nothing in et or mph in the 1/4... that means the extra 50lbs counters the 5hp gain. I know they rated duals as being a 10hp gain on paper but that's not the case as the stock exhaust outflows a lopo by a large margin.

I went with gt40P ford racing headers, mustang offroad h-pipe (catless so that I could chop out where the universal cats fit best), than glasspacks dumped at the rear end housing. Very easy to do with pipe clamps and anything to cut pipe.
                Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
                HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

Originally posted by merc91 View Post
                  On a lopo motor, going to factory duals nets nothing in et or mph in the 1/4... that means the extra 50lbs counters the 5hp gain. I know they rated duals as being a 10hp gain on paper but that's not the case as the stock exhaust outflows a lopo by a large margin.
                  Pure BS.
                  2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                  1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

my butt dyno says otherwise. It isn't much gain for sure, but it is gain with the duals. Of course, I dropped the weights when I did mine so I lost 15 pounds or so there anyhow.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I had the exhaust shop build mine for me, looks almost identical to the glasspacks / dumps setup posted... I'll see if I can dig up the photo I took...
                      1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
                      1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
                      1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

I've got a 91 with an Explorer motor, Lincoln Logs, no cats and stock CVPI duals.
                        I'm sure I could have spent more money and gotten better.
                        But this set up is good enough at a fraction of the price.

Comment

I've got stock duals with lincoln logs on my HO swapped 85. Certainly a restriction, but I'm to cheap to put something better on.

Comment

As far as the exhaust hanging low... I have 351 swap BBK headers and a stock mustang catted H-pipe, and it's up there pretty tight, the only way to see it is if you are lying on the ground. Stock pipe is 2.25", and BBK is 2.5", could be the reason they like to hit the crossmember and cause it to sit lower.
                            -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

what's pure bs is guys claiming that they notice "but dyno" gains of 10hp (5hp after the added weight assuming dual factory junk exhaust gains 10hp which it doesn't) in a 4000lb car. Either dyno, or do before and after track days like I did and be sure to post your findings... 5hp and 0 in the 1/4mile is what you will find. Sounds 10hp better, but we arn't talking ear dyno's here.
                              It's like the honda boys around here saying a cherrybomb makes a difference.
                              Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
                              HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

Originally posted by merc91 View Post
                                what's pure bs is guys claiming that they notice "but dyno" gains of 10hp (5hp after the added weight assuming dual factory junk exhaust gains 10hp which it doesn't) in a 4000lb car. Either dyno, or do before and after track days like I did and be sure to post your findings... 5hp and 0 in the 1/4mile is what you will find. Sounds 10hp better, but we arn't talking ear dyno's here.
                                It's like the honda boys around here saying a cherrybomb makes a difference.
                                I see where you're going with this, actually. If people ONLY swap out the factory single exhaust for a factory dual exhaust (which has more piping than stock single exhaust, and has more cats, both of which add weight!), then they definitely aren't getting as much power as they think they are. If you ditch the stock headers for a slick aftermarket set (such as FRPP shorties or BBK long tubes), and go with a lighter aftermarket catless dual exhaust, you're definitely going to get more gain. Mainly because of the lower weight relative to just running stock catted duals behind shitty stock headers.

I wouldn't be surprised if aftermarket tubular headers mated to an aftermarket catless dual exhaust is lighter than the stock headers mated to the stock single exhaust. Methinks I need to weigh all my exhaust parts before throwing them on to my next addition to the fleet, for comparison's sake.

The case for aftermarket tubular headers and a catless dual exhaust:
                                -You get lighter headers that flow better than stock- more power AND less weight.
                                -You get a lighter dual exhaust that flows way better than the stock single exhaust- more power AND less weight.

Why would anyone run anything else? Less weight and more power is a match made in heaven.
                                Last edited by Hearsesrock427; 11-20-2014, 09:24 PM. Reason: Added some context.
                                '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
                                '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
                                '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

Working...
                                X