• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weres my popcorn when I NEED IT
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by Toploader View Post
      Gents after reading this thread I will be staying with the single exhaust on my '86 Tudor MGM, I thought of going to factory duals, but as the car is a street driven daily NYC driver, well why bother??
      Why does anyone mod their car?
      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

single pipe magnaflow on a lopo... (still have not made a new exhaust vid of the 88 with the duals)

oh yeah... the muffler exploding that morning on the way into work was a fun time. Probably scared the hell out of the people around me just as much as it did me.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

On a stock lopo, best bang for the buck is a muffler delete. It's cheapest, flows the best, and sounds good, won't be too loud with all the rest of the stock stuff. Do it and you won't be disappointed.
          88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
          Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

What is a "muffler delete"?
            Originally posted by 88Vic View Post
            On a stock lopo, best bang for the buck is a muffler delete. It's cheapest, flows the best, and sounds good, won't be too loud with all the rest of the stock stuff. Do it and you won't be disappointed.

Comment

Replace the muffler with a piece of pipe.
              1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

Cutouts

Comment

I would look into spintech mufflers. I wanted to put a set on GMGT but, they are out of my budget. Would be cheaper for you, being states side.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                  1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                  1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                  2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                  2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic View Post
                    There's no answer to that, it's whatever sounds good to you. You might like Flowmaster 40's, I think they sound like junk.

What kind of sound are you after? We can recommend one based on your preferences.
                    I had dumped glasspacks in my GM, and it sounded good at idle and around town but sucked on the highway. I want something that has a good rumble when idling, but isnt unbearable on the highway.

1990 Colony Park, with HO swap.

Previously:
                    1990 Lincoln Town Car Cartier.
                    88 CVLX
                    01 Marquis

Comment

Stay away from Flowmaster, those drone worse than pretty much any other muffler. Chambered mufflers have a deep rumble but drone a lot. Hooker Aerochambers have the deep rumble but don't drone near as much, they're mostly straight through. A short case Magnaflow will have a decent rumble and not drone.

You'll have to add more than just mufflers to make these cars rumble. Small pipe, 4 cats and low engine output don't make for a lot of rumble, need bigger pipe and highflow cats to get some sound volume. I like straight through mufflers like Magnaflow, Borla and Corsa. The Aerochambers are good too, as are Aero Turbines. Spend some time on youtube, use Mustangs to compare different mufflers. Won't be exact but you'll be able to tell the difference from one to the other.

I usually try a muffler delete first, it's cheapest and you can always add mufflers if you don't like it without much money wasted. I did a muffler delete on my 4Runner, then added a 14" case Magnaflow to quiet it down some. I wish I had left it the way it was, sounded good with no muffler and just the cats and 4" tip.
                      Last edited by 88Vic; 12-08-2014, 06:28 PM.
                      88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                      Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

+1 my magnaflows don't drone, but they're also out the back and not dumped. I'll try to get a new vid of the 88.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

So I am trying to tuck the exhaust on the wagon, its got headers, and the off road h pipe, but it still sits stupidly low. There are the rear cats which I would love to remove. How do I tuck it up?

Previously:
                          88 CVLX
                          01 Marquis

Comment

Originally posted by piranah View Post
                            So I am trying to tuck the exhaust on the wagon, its got headers, and the off road h pipe, but it still sits stupidly low. There are the rear cats which I would love to remove. How do I tuck it up?
                            So it has an aftermarket catted Mustang H-pipe? Which brand? You can remove the rear cats if you want, but you won't gain any power.
                            As for tucking it up, loosen everything up, jack it up without stressing anything or hitting anything, and tighten everything up. That's the best you can do without welding or cutting.
                            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Dont know what brand of h pipe. I can see if i can find out. Where would I have to cut/weld to get it tucked up if tightening it doesnt work. Its hanging really low. Like bottom out on speed bump low.

Previously:
                              88 CVLX
                              01 Marquis

Comment

on my 90 MGM LS hit a really tall speed bump with my saggy springs ripped the muffler off the pipe so we cut off the y pipe ran it about three feet or so den when cheap and got a thrust turbo mufflers (x2) put those on stops right before axle with turndowns not to loud at idle cruises quiet in town stomp on it and itll yell a bit but not to bad not sure what drone sounds like so dont know if they do or not

Comment

Working...
                                X