No announcement yet.

Exhaust Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mustang H-pipes: stay away from them. I just put up some off-road pipes for temporary use until I swap engines; and they're more ill-fitting than the original (cat'd) H-pipe that I put on there 10 years ago. Friggin annoying how they scrape on every and anything!

Packman

Comment

A good exhaust shop can mod a mustang h-pipe to fit without too much trouble. My guy kinda cut it in half and then massaged it to fit. Only thing that pissed me off is he cut the flanges off the back and welded it all together. I had even bought flow tubes with the flanges for the cat-back. But he did a really good job and not too expensive so I let it go. Unless you're an expert fabricator, it's easier to start with a mustang pipe if you ask me.

Comment

the flanges after the cats leaked like crap on both of my cars. No gasket could help. Let the shop weld it. No more leaks.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

When using headers on a box with a 351, you can use mustang headers and a mustang H pipe from a foxbody but you'll need to add a piece of pipe between the connecting pieces on the H-pipe so that it'll be connected, when using it on the wider 351w. I went down to my parts store and just picked up a 2.5" ID to 2.5" OD piece and actually jacked my car up in the parking lot and put it in. (I was driving around with an open H pipe, it was one hot mess.) You can connect the H-pipe together with some ratchet straps.. But it's very hack and ends up leaking. I also ran mufflers that were off a foxbody, they had the un-equal length connecting tubes that matched the BBK H-pipe and came out perfect. Car sounded good enough, no leaks once everything was sorted, other than the shitty foxbody factory headers were leaking at the flanges.

This setup fit perfectly fine on my 302, for the 2 weeks that it was on the car before the engine was pulled. Cleared the AOD just fine and cleared my T5 even better. For obvious reasons.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
          The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
          It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Nice. Only seen the ball-and-socket flanges leak in one case, and that was when my idiot buddy put 1-3/4" longtubes with 3" collectors and tried to hook them up to 2.5" h-pipe. Otherwise I had mine on and off my '90gt a million times with no leak problems. Weird. Either way, i'll probably just have v-bands welded on that section later. Very happy with my exhaust so far, except that there's not enough motor pushing through it...yet.

Comment

yeah... no problems with the manifold flange, just the midpipe (after cat) flange.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Does anyone use hedman headers? This one apparently is for a 2wd/4wd F series with the 302. Looks like it would clear gt40p heads as well from what I can see. Also, It seems to me that the collector looks smaller than the mustang ones? Maybe 2.25? Dont have them so Im not sure. Nevermind the puke green header paint.

Click image for larger version

Name:	$_27.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	1279124

1985 LTD Crown Vic, factory hard top, 302 soon to be gt40p headed (lightly ported & blended), summit brand stealth (port matched), stock cam, summit annular 600cfm VS, dual exhaust, 3.55 LSD, AOD, electric fan swap, tan interior.

Comment

N00B here, I may be a little late and a bit outdated but for the people looking for a cheap and good dual exhaust (dumped). i installed the summit H pipe and stock Foxbody Mustang headers with 0 problems and only 1 slight modification to the H pipe other then extensions. Tucks up VERY nice and doesnt scrape even over the biggest bumps. I use Flowtech Raptor mufflers, only drones a tiny bit at 40 in Drive and under 50 in overdrive. hope this helps anyone who hasnt done or will be doing a H pipe in the future. Willing to help as best as i can. Thanks most for helping me before i joined.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Looks good but, do you have exhaust drone?
                    1993 Ford F-150 Flareside - July 2010 - August 2013
                    2004 Ford Mustang - September 2013 - February 2018
                    1987 Mercury Colony Park GS - August 2015 - Present
                    2018 VW Golf GTI - February 2018-February 2021 (was a lease)
                    2003 EZGO TXT - March 2015 - May 2019 (it's road legal!)

2019 VW Golf Alltrack company provided April 2019 - Present
                    2012 Fiat 500 5 speed - January 2021-Present
                    2003 Audi A6 Allroad 6 speed July 2021-Present

Comment

Good information. I know you can still get factory style duals for the box panther. Could be spendy though. I have used the mandrel bent 2 1/2 inch car back Impala SS kit from jegs. You do however have to do some modification. But it can be done.

Tim
                      2000 Ford Crown Victoria
                      84 Lincoln Town car signature, R.I.P
                      85 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2 door performance project
                      89 Lincoln town car: RIP
                      89 Crown Victoria LX 2002 USACi sound quality world champion RIP
                      1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
                      1994 Mercury Grand Marquis (sold)
                      2004 Mercury Marauder. owned for a week then got screwed by the dealer

Comment

I was looking at a website (don't remember the brand) that showed all three options for the Colony Park/Country Squire. On the dual kit, they make every thing up to the drivers side over axle side exit tailpipe.

1993 Ford F-150 Flareside - July 2010 - August 2013
                        2004 Ford Mustang - September 2013 - February 2018
                        1987 Mercury Colony Park GS - August 2015 - Present
                        2018 VW Golf GTI - February 2018-February 2021 (was a lease)
                        2003 EZGO TXT - March 2015 - May 2019 (it's road legal!)

2019 VW Golf Alltrack company provided April 2019 - Present
                        2012 Fiat 500 5 speed - January 2021-Present
                        2003 Audi A6 Allroad 6 speed July 2021-Present

Comment

Will the Lincoln logs also fit the gt40 heads

Comment

yes, and are preferred for gt40p heads as the plugs clear easy, along with stock mustang shorties.

Comment

Nice exhaust. Have the same Dynomax pipe that I got from 4wheelonline last year.

Comment

So my car is due for smog in may. Have the whole exhaust off the busted-up car so the plan is to whack that on as soon as i've smogged this turkey(just in case). In theory my other setup is kinda smog legal but better safe than stupid. Also hoping to have the 347 built by then and ready to go in so may do it all in short order. I do plan to v-band the h-pipe to cat-back section and maybe the tailpipes too just to make it easy to remove. Debating on a muffler change but didn't really mind the spiral flows. In the brief period i had the better top end on the other car, they sounded really meaty and never droned. My only other choice would be either spintech or possibly mac or borla. Never really been big on magnaflow, not because they're not good but just don't care for the sound. Probably just stick to what i have and save the money, then see if something else appeals later. Mufflers are easy to change i guess.

Car is currently bone stock with factory or replacement duals and weld-in glasspacks. Sounds decent but mostly the turd boring lopo lets it down at this point. Want to get my good exhaust on the car but even then, without the better motor in front of it, just sounds like a sad low-compression engine with noisy exhaust, lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X