Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P71 Springs on a 99 GS?

Hi all,

First a little car history on me (the ones relevant to this forum).

1991 LTD Crown Vic Interceptor (5.8 351W).
    1999 Town Car Signature Series
    1999 Grand Marquis LS
    2001 Crown Victoria (Former CHP K-9 Interceptor).
    1999 Grand Marquis GS (Bought a week ago and have BIG plans).

This is my first car forum post. Just bought a 99 Grand Marquis GS from a guy in Sacramento, CA who says he put Moog springs up front and a 21MM sway bar in the rear. Driving the car home to Newark, CA I found that the rear end was a little too squishy for my tastes, but that rear sway bar REALLY shows its face when taking a high speed turn which is a delight. My last panther was a former CHP K-9 interceptor. I put Bilstein at all four corners. Commuting from Fairfield to SF was heaven, but even that didn't pivot at high speeds like this. I'd never had a more grounded feeling ride in the interceptor though. Capable, and comfortable. I was rear-ended by a guy with who's insurance ended up being worthless (didn't pay his bill and it was cancelled) and I didn't have uninsured motorist coverage (won't make that mistake again) so because I was smashed into the car in front of me my crumple zones turned into crumpled zones. Total loss. I'd like to get back to heaven with my new panther so I'm looking into the combined experiences of a community who is as enthusiastic about my hobby as I am. Here are my first concerns that I have so far been unable to answer myself:
    1. Can I put P71 springs (or anything that will fit a Crown Vic) on my Grand Marquis? Before now I thought they were nearly identical but my searches have lead me to believe there are some details I have yet to figure out.
    2. How about the K&N FIPK? K&N's site doesn't show the FIPK for the 99 Grand Marquis but it does for the Crown Vic (I've had one on my 01 interceptor). I'm thinking about buying one anyway.

Thank you guys in advance for helping a fellow panther lover.

The springs will fit, though your rear ride height will be a bit higher. You may just need new rear coils, and some more aggressive shocks would be a big help.
    2003 Crown Vic - Stainless Works Longtubes + 2.5" exhaust, 19" C/S Wheels, 70MM TB
    2004 Dodge Ram 2500, Yeah, It's got a Hemi
    2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab

Comment

yep, the stuff fits. As mentioned, it may bring the back end up some but thats no big deal. Air intake should also fit. Basically if it fits a Vic, it can fit a Grand Marq. How much gain is debatable though. The stock air intake really isn't that bad if you take the silencer trumpet thing out of the bottom of the airbox to open it up some. Sounds faster with that out at any rate.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks all. I'm familiar with the P71 springs and if I could get them again I was going to put some heavy duty Bilsteins on again as well. The FIPK isn't night and day but for some one who drives as much as I do the gains are definitely noticeable in the higher RPMS and in my mileage (when I keep my foot out of it).

Comment

One last question, how about springs from different years? I took notice when all the reviewers of the 2011 Mustang GT consistently mentioned that Ford somehow was able to make that live rear axle feel planted and handle. Therefore my thought process leads me to believe that the progression of technology from 1999 to 2011 would mean springs created closer to today would have better handling characteristics but might not be ideal since they weren't meant for the geometry of the older cars.

Comment

I would stick with 98-02 stuff. The suspension was redesigned on 03+ cars, and while the coils will physically fit I know the spring rate is different. I used to have the differences between years saved somewhere, but PI springs for 98-02 are 710 lb/in versus MGM/CV LX 98-02 springs at 421 lb/in. I think you'd feel plenty of difference in just going to P71 springs
            2003 Crown Vic - Stainless Works Longtubes + 2.5" exhaust, 19" C/S Wheels, 70MM TB
            2004 Dodge Ram 2500, Yeah, It's got a Hemi
            2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab

Comment

Exactly what I needed to know, thanks! Now I have another problem, I got my 250 amp alternator yesterday and went to install it today while changing the plugs and belt and found the wiring harness doesn't quite match up. Any tips?

Comment

Looks like I'm heading to the auto parts store in the morning for a 6G plug.

Comment

Working...
                X