Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My 1984 CFI to HO MAF swap thread! What am I forgetting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well, if the motor had never been opened, its all but impossible for the chain to be a tooth off. Unless someone had been in there before and gotten it wrong, though with a low mileage motor I sort of doubt anyone opened it.

My car actually ran fine other than having no power. Vacuum was 15-16" and sometimes it would hunt a little at idle but it ran down the road smoothly. It actually felt a lot like a tired stock motor as far as power went.

Ported heads and a bigger intake with speed density could be enough to make it run lean. I know it was on my car. Dyno confirmed it ran somewhere around 18:1 AFR. It didn't pop and misfire, but it sounded like a can of marbles under acceleration. I have seen the pop and misfire thing with GT40P heads on an HO motor with Mark VII controls. Most probably that was also a lean fuel condition.

Something else to confirm, make sure your oxygen sensors are on the right side. If they get switched left to right it does funny things with how it runs.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

If it has ported e7's and a Trickflow intake, it may just be too much for SD.

It should run fine in theory, but it has been proven multiple times now these cars do not behave how they should after modding.
      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

yeah, I love the tech support answer that folks like to give. "that should be fine". No shit. If it was how it was supposed to be, I wouldn't be asking questions now would I?
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks guys - I am running a maf though. I'll ask my bud but I think the o2 sensors stayed in the h pipe (which is from the Mark as well)...I'll check the wiring to them as well. I'll go through it one more time for vacuum etc...before taking it to one of the many mustang shops in So Cal. I wish I had more time to work on it but...
          1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - gone to the darkside. 5.3 LS Turbo Swap with 4L80E. 6.62@106 in the 1/8 mile (low 10's in the 1/4), full weight, AC, no compromises! Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020 and Race Week 2.0 2020

Comment

I don't mean so much the sensors themselves, but what they are plugged in to. Both use the same connector, and its very easy to plug the left one into the right sensor. The wiring colors are different though, so just check them against your EVTM to verify they are where they belong. Might also be worth making sure the sensors work. if they are used / old, its possible they are fouled.

Forgot you had MAF. Just out of curiosity, your MAP sensor is no longer hooked to vacuum, right? It needs to be open to air.

Comment

Working...
            X