Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My 1984 CFI to HO MAF swap thread! What am I forgetting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad to hear ya got it running. Sorry I couldn't get a pic but I got work till its dark out nowadays. What wont the harness reach when the computer is in the slot? I think an 89 car has the smog stuff on the intake rather than on the passengers fender so that'd be a stretch but your HO motor might have it there anyway.

I would put the computer in the slot so it's away from water and stuff and then rearrange things so the harness would fit. My map needed moved but everything else fit for me. I used an 88 crown Vic harness. Worst comes to worst and you can't move some thing I'd go to the junkyard to get wire ends with connectors. And just make an extension.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

It seems to be the whole harness, we fit up all of the connectors on the motor and then tried to fit the eec plug onto the computer in the firewall - not even close...we wouldhave to extend every wire going into the eec or take the harness completely out, plug it into the computer in the firewall then extend everything that doesn't reach. I'm not really up for that right now!! Maybe later...
      1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - gone to the darkside. 5.3 LS Turbo Swap with 4L80E. 6.62@106 in the 1/8 mile (low 10's in the 1/4), full weight, AC, no compromises! Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020 and Race Week 2.0 2020

Comment

Yeah I can't blame ya. That's odd though. Maybe a town car has a smaller harness but that wouldn't really make sense.

I'd definitely try to get the computer where it belongs though. At least away from water and stuff. It also would probably be heat sensitive due to capacitors and things on its motherboard. So I'd keep it away from the engine.

Oh well this is a minor problem though after what's already done. Eventually I'm probably gonna go the same route you did. I'm gonna be getting a mark 7 motor and swap that in mine
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

+1 getting the computer out of the elements. they don't do well under the hood as those cases are NOT sealed.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

will do on the 'puter. It was running really rough last night and today, couldnd't figure it out....then came the obvious - still using lopo firing order!! Just a reference for anyone reading this thread in the future - don't for get to change to the HO firing order: 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8
            1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - gone to the darkside. 5.3 LS Turbo Swap with 4L80E. 6.62@106 in the 1/8 mile (low 10's in the 1/4), full weight, AC, no compromises! Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020 and Race Week 2.0 2020

Comment

It should reach, you may just have to shuffle the harness around a little or check the routing to get it where it needs to be.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Sounds like you routed the harness wrong or something. The main harness goes from the computer, then splits off in two directions. Towards the front of the drivers side fender for the EEC, Fuel Pump and AC Shutoff relays. The other half goes over the firewall area, a connector for the fuel injector harness, one for the O2 harness, and the wiring for the distributor and ac compressor, and lastly to the passenger side fender where it's grounded, and attached to the starter solenoid...

Comment

Went to the j yard today - turns out the harness we pulled from the 89 Town Car does not match up with the harnesses from other boxes....there were several others in the yard, the lincoln was just the nicest and most complete...who would've thought? This weekend we'll be extending the harness and plugging it in where it belongs!

Also - went to pull the shift lever from a box in the yard (I'm using the mark vii tranny) I got the nut off inside the tranny, but I can't get the lever out...anyone know how to do this? There is some kind of collar on the threaded rod that extends to the outside of the tranny....Thanks for any help on this one!!

Comment

Originally posted by drhill View Post
                    Went to the j yard today - turns out the harness we pulled from the 89 Town Car does not match up with the harnesses from other boxes....there were several others in the yard, the lincoln was just the nicest and most complete...who would've thought? This weekend we'll be extending the harness and plugging it in where it belongs!

Also - went to pull the shift lever from a box in the yard (I'm using the mark vii tranny) I got the nut off inside the tranny, but I can't get the lever out...anyone know how to do this? There is some kind of collar on the threaded rod that extends to the outside of the tranny....Thanks for any help on this one!!
                    There's a roll pin that needs to be removed, you should see it sticking out of the case a little bit... Pull it out then the linkage should just come right out...

Comment

the pin is in the pan rail, by the gasket. Pull the gasket off right where the lever is and you should see it. Its a bit of a bitch to get out of there. Diagonal cutters or good small needle nose help a lot.
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Lots of little problems getting this thing to run right etc....slow progress at this point as no one is working on it full time anymore!

fixed a leaky injector but it still runs rough, like its missing on a cylinder or two...plug wiring is correct, trying to full code scan and cylinder balance test but it won't let me do the KOER test - I read up a bit on the internet - I pulled a code 67 in the KOEO test and this can supposedly prevent the engine running test etc. This code is for Nuetral safety switch and/or a/c. A/C switch is off, and car will not start in gear - only neutral and park. Any ideas?

I've also heard this code can affect idle stability, which I do have some problems with....of course that could also be from the rough running engine...

Otherwise I have to check every cylinder for spark and fuel...I put in known good injectors from my donor mark vii (although pintle caps were brittle) which ran great.

Also - my shift linkage does not line up? We are not yet to the TV cable, this is just column shift linkage to trans. Could we have tweaked this linkage getting the original engine and trans out of the wagon?...the blue painted cross bar of the linkage is hitting the mark VII cat h pipe right on the driver's side first cat as well? We are using a box shift arm in the mark vii trans...

Thanks again for all of the help!!

Comment

You can't do a KOER test with the neutral safety switch not wired in. To wire this in you need to splice some wires near where the old transmission dipstick was. I haven't done this yet either but 85CrownHPP has. It is in his thread somewhere near the end. Also on mine and his we experienced a high rev startup issue and he said this fixed that.

You can still only start in park and neutral because the switch is only wired to your ignition circuit not to the new computer.

Mine was running terrible at first too. I needed to adjust timing and fix some vacuum lines. Some near my tree were cracking.

As for the gear selector linkage I'm not sure because I didn't mess with mine but I know the tv lever won't fit right with an 85 CV shift linkage. Whichever year tv lever you get I would get the same year shift linkage so they fit. Mine gets stuck in park and blocks you from giving it throttle in park. Swapping gear selector linkage would fix my problem.

It should still run ok without the neutral safety switch wired in though. But it can't hurt to wire it in anyway. I'll be doing mine soon.

I'd check vacuum, timing, tps, and iac. Is it just missing or is it stalling? Smelling rich? Mine ran terrible till I realized I put the distributor back in with the rotor pointing the wrong way.

Comment

Originally posted by fmansfield444 View Post
                            You can't do a KOER test with the neutral safety switch not wired in. To wire this in you need to splice some wires near where the old transmission dipstick was. I haven't done this yet either but 85CrownHPP has. It is in his thread somewhere near the end. Also on mine and his we experienced a high rev startup issue and he said this fixed that.

You can still only start in park and neutral because the switch is only wired to your ignition circuit not to the new computer.

As for the gear selector linkage I'm not sure because I didn't mess with mine but I know the tv lever won't fit right with an 85 CV shift linkage. Whichever year tv lever you get I would get the same year shift linkage so they fit. Mine gets stuck in park and blocks you from giving it throttle in park. Swapping gear selector linkage would fix my problem.
                            Thanks for the info...that confirms I'm not nuts! I will read his post and wire it in.

I read through all of the posts on the Shift linkage/TV lever issues and got the correct parts at the yard...the linkage on my 84 was the same as the newer boxes...but I did get the TV lever from a 90-91 car based on some previous advice on here...it is different from the earlier SEFI cars...as of right now the shift linkage is completely from the 84 wagon....

Comment

Yeah I tried the earlier SEFI tv lever at first and I couldn't get it on either way. The later ones on cars with cable controlled gear selectors worked for me but it still hits but it allows me to drive which the older style didn't.

The newer style is more "c" shaped

I did use the tv bracket from an older SEFI box though. Because the newer one has an extra piece to hold the selector cable.

Not sure if there's a difference between your 84 gear selector linkage and my 85 linkage but both me and 85crownhpp who also has an 85 had problems with it hitting. Fatnasty I'm pretty sure had an 84 and I don't think he had problems with it hitting.

Hopefully you get it soon, it's the little things like this that make the swap aggravating.

Comment

Which ECM are you using again? I'm half drunk at this point so I'm not reading through this thread. Just want to mention that the "neutral" position is electrically different between manual and automatic ECM's. I forget the difference exactly, but one is grounded, the other gets +12v or something. If you have the wrong ECM for your wiring harness, it will do dumb things.

Comment

Working...
                                X