Shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shocks

Just to let anyone that is interested to know; Bilstein front shocks part# BSN-24-014953 and Bilstein rear shocks part# BSN-24-014960 will fit the Panther chassis (at least an '86 Crown Vic anyways). These were bought through Summit Racing at $94.95/ea and $89.95/ea respectively. They're pricey, but worth it, if you want a firm and stiff ride (sporty). The thing to note with most Bilstein shocks is that the stud is pressed into the shocks (at least for the rear), so you will have to remove the mounting stud off of the shockl mounting bracket and then reverse mount the shock (install it from the front of the bracket). I haven't installed the front shocks yet, but they match the replacements that I'm currently running. I hope to rebuild the front suspension in the next two weeks.

Packman

Congrats on the Bilsteins. I have been running them for a while and I love 'em. I bought mine somewhere else - I'll try and find my receipt - but I paid $320 for the set of four and free shipping. I have a CP, so I installed air bags to replace the stock airshocks.. hooked it up to the stock compressor and adjusted the ride height sensor. With F&R swaybars, 16" Eagles, posi, and the Bilsteins, I'll have to say I'm delighted with both the ride and handling. (By the way, a fair amount of that "jiggly" sort of stiffness in the shocks goes away after a couple thousand miles.)
    If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough...

Comment

TireRack has 'em for $86 each, front or rear...

Comment

are the Bilstiens that much better than the Monroe police units?......(ive had good luck with the police monroes,never had any bilstiens)

Comment

I've had Bilsteins on several Mercedes, and driven them fifty or sixty thousand miles with ZERO noticeable wear. The only thing one should be aware of is that they are a high-pressure nitrogen shock (KYB's are low-pressure) and they will tend to increase the ride height by 1/2" or so. They can, as a result, also band-aid weak springs, since they tend to modestly increase the total spring rate. Great part, though, if you really want the best.. AND you can feel it in the seat of your pants. Good stuff. Also, lifetime guarantee (used to be transferable.)

Comment

Ill keep my konis with adjustable rebound.
            1989 Grand Marquis LS
            flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Hmmm.. the Lincoln dosent need shocks but I'll keep this on the backburner

Comment

Originally posted by GoFordBroke View Post
                I've had Bilsteins on several Mercedes, and driven them fifty or sixty thousand miles with ZERO noticeable wear. The only thing one should be aware of is that they are a high-pressure nitrogen shock (KYB's are low-pressure) and they will tend to increase the ride height by 1/2" or so. They can, as a result, also band-aid weak springs, since they tend to modestly increase the total spring rate. Great part, though, if you really want the best.. AND you can feel it in the seat of your pants. Good stuff. Also, lifetime guarantee (used to be transferable.)

Yes, this is definitely true. I had to install 15" rear springs because of the aftermarket spring perches I installed on the axle. They have definitely created a bit of rake. I will see if I can find a 14" spring to remedy this; or at least kill some of the rake. And the shocks are definitely very stiff. I hope they do soften up a little.

Packman

Comment

Good to know , since I'm getting ready to set up a new car and plan on running 20's on it dropped about 3/4 inchs like my 87
                  sigpicTHE H.I.D MASTER
                  87 mercury grand marquis
                  88 crown vic lx
                  89 mercury colony park ls (sold)
                  89 mercury grand marquis (sold)
                  00 ford crown vic lx hpp
                  03 mercury marauder aka punisher (sold )

Comment

Working...
                  X