Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ford Contour Electric Fan Retrofit/Conversion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ford Contour Electric Fan Retrofit/Conversion.

Over the last couple of weeks I've been working on a electric fan conversion on my '97 Town Car. Thought I'd do a simple write-up on what I did.

For starters, I got a fan assembly from a '98 Ford Contour V6 (this is important, the i4 models use a single smaller fan). It cost me all of $25 at the junkyard. I rather like these fans, they are compact but very efficient and move more than enough air to keep these cars cool. Best part, they fit quite nicely on the Aero's radiator.

The fans:

The fit:

The wiring is quite simple, one fan got wired directly to the stock electric auxiliary fan wiring. Initially I'd wired both fans to that, but it was blowing the fuse (those who attended Motor City Madness this year know all about that). When they are both running, they actually draw roughly the same load as the big stock E-fan, but the amperage draw of spinning up both motors was blowing the fuse every 3rd or 4th time they would kick on.

For the other fan, I used a cheap controller from Autozone, a Compressor Works model 733653. This type has a probe that you put in the upper radiator hose, which actually seems to work quite well since it has direct contact with the coolant coming out of the engine. The controller gets wired up to trip a relay and power the fan, Here is a simple diagram of what I did:

The Fuse Box:

The 30 amp fuse away from the rest is for the new fan, as is the 1 relay that doesn't match the other 3. The relay and its wiring is borrowed from my Merc's fuse box, and its installed in the 1 unused relay slot in the Town Car's fuse box.

This setup yields me one fan that comes on at the set temp on the controller (which I refer to as the low temp fan). It is set to come on at roughly 195*F, which I'll reach sitting at a long light with the stock 190*F thermostat (Temps are guesstimates, don't have a "real" temp gage). It turns off once the temp reaches 10* BELOW the turn on temp, which usually takes 3/4 of a mile after I get moving again. The other fan runs when the stock E-fan would run, so it comes on with the AC or if the coolant reaches 220*F (or is it 212*F, can't remember), so I refer to it as the high-temp fan.

Look at all the extra space getting rid of that enormous fan freed up!!

Close up of the controller:

I made 2 simple brackets that utilize existing openings in the top of the radiator to "hang" the fans on the radiator:

And a couple of pieces of plastic cut from the stock shroud to attach to the hooks on the stock radiator to support and secure the bottom of the fans:

All loomed up and ready to go:

I like the dual fan setup, it is very simple to wire up, and very effective and rather efficient. These OEM Contour fans when both running, will supposedly pull more air than the stock whale panther fan.

This setup will work equally well on a Box Body, or '92-'94 Aero, but you will need 2 controllers or 1 controller capable of running 2 fans since they do not have an Auxiliary electric fan. Using the controller I used, it would be quite simple to wire an override to the AC high-pressure switch, which would run 1 of the fans with the AC.

Engine Bay is much neater now:
    -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
    1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
    1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
    1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Great photos and VERY detailed info both here and on your "Moonroof Switch" thread. A REAL positive addition to the site - THANKS!! Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

I've been contemplating this for the 93 vic since I got it back... Nice to see how the contour/puma-cougar dual fan fits.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The hardest part of the whole conversion was getting the fans out of the Contour. They really pack everything in there on the V6 Contour. I didn't have the tools to drop the whole radiator and fan assembly out the bottom of the car, which would have been significantly easier, so I wrestled it out the top which had a coolant tube and AC line in the way.

I also couldn't get the mechanical fan off the Town Car to save my life. I didn't have a wrench big enough, and the AutoZone rental fan tools only sort of fit. Ended up taking it over to a small shop around the corner and the Mechanic buzzed it with the air chisel and had it off in 2 seconds. Made a comment that he does that on their limos, which had me confused because the limos I've ever seen there are '98-'02 Town Cars. Whatever, he didn't charge me anything, so that made my day.
        -Steve

1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..

Comment

I like it.
          Good write up.
          Nice work!

-ryan s.
          08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
          03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
          97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
          94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
          73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
          12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
          Originally posted by pantera77
          Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Nice.

Comment

Good writeup Now I wonder if the svt contours use the same setup since I have access to one.

Comment

Nice writeup! I suppose a Mercury Mystique would have the same fan setup as well.
                2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                Past Panthers
                1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

yes. Just look for the v6 version as stated.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by tjc78 View Post
                    Nice writeup! I suppose a Mercury Mystique would have the same fan setup as well.
                    Indeed, Mine are actually from a Mystique, but if you say Mercury Mystique, no one knows WTF you are talking about.
                    -Steve

Comment

They were the follow up models after the "Topaz". See, someone knows WTF you're talking about! Ford was "Tempo" and then "Contour"....Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

I had a Topaz... nice car... piss poor automatic trans.

Comment

My brother has an '87 Topaz. Still looks, runs great with wonderful MPG's! Can post photos if anyone is interested.....

Comment

I had the 94 ... with the 2.3L 4 banger and 3-speed auto. It only got 24mpg highway.

Comment

Same basic setup in my brother's Topaz and he is still getting about 24-26 City driving only.

Comment

Working...
                              X