Alarms/keyless entry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alarms/keyless entry

Did any of these cars come with either of these options? I can see from the pictures on here that you guys have some really nice cars. I'm sure that after all the mods that have been added that you might want a security system to protect them. I interested in adding an aftermarket alarm with keyless entry, probably a viper system. Have any of you guys installed anything like this on your cars? If so, how hard was the install and were you happy with the outcome?

some came with keyless entry (keypad on the door) but only aftermarket for alarms until the mid to late 90s I think.

Wiring in a system to a car without can be rather a PITA. You'll need to take half the dash apart and the driver door as well along with running wires to and from stuff. Done right... it'll last a long time though and serve you well. You will need an electrical manual for your car to even start thinking about this though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Mine did not come with keyless entry from the factory. Luckily I have a good friend in the business that does this kinda thing professionally and he said these cars aren't too bad. I picked out a good system (Viper 5701) that I'm going to install. I got my hands on the vehicle specific wiring diagram for my car from my friend that includes what color wires I need and where they are located. I also have the installation manual for detailed diagrams and instruction for the viper system. I'll be getting into this probably at some time next week after I look everything over with my multi-meter to double check that the vehicle wires actually are what they are supposed to be. I'll post back with some pictures documenting the install and maybe a video when it's completed. Wish me luck lol

Comment

nice... looking forward to it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...tail/1476.html
          1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
          1994 MGM GS Montigua
          2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
          2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

I have added a Viper keyless, alarm, and remote start system.

It isn't too bad, besides the fact the the majority of the wires coming from the alarm system aren't used in the older car. so there is a lot of tucking away involved. The hiding and routing all the wires was definitely the worse part for me.

Also when i installed mine, the viper system I bought controlled the locks with a ground pulse and my car needs a positive pulse so relays were needed.

Other than sorting through the wires and tucking them up above the glove box it wasnt too bad.

Also I would recommend a system that has a 2 way transmitter so if your car is getting messed with it will send an alarm to your keyless remote.

I got mine for 45 bucks off ebay, it was a $200 system so the fact that I needed relays wasn't too big a deal
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

My Lincoln came with an older TRC system and its very touchy which I love and hate haha but otherwise no just the key less entry on the door mentioned before

Comment

Originally posted by fmansfield444 View Post
                I have added a Viper keyless, alarm, and remote start system.

It isn't too bad, besides the fact the the majority of the wires coming from the alarm system aren't used in the older car. so there is a lot of tucking away involved. The hiding and routing all the wires was definitely the worse part for me.

Also when i installed mine, the viper system I bought controlled the locks with a ground pulse and my car needs a positive pulse so relays were needed.

Other than sorting through the wires and tucking them up above the glove box it wasnt too bad.

Also I would recommend a system that has a 2 way transmitter so if your car is getting messed with it will send an alarm to your keyless remote.

I got mine for 45 bucks off ebay, it was a $200 system so the fact that I needed relays wasn't too big a deal
                I know that this is an old thread but I put off installing the alarm until a few days ago. I got a two-way system (Viper 5701) and so far I have successfully connected the door locks (with a DEI 450m relay module that is made for these 5 wire power lock.) I have done extensive research on installing this unit in my car and was able to eliminate the wires that arent being used to save space and hide the unit as best I can. I also connected most of the other accessory wires along with most of the wires for the remote start in the ignition harness. I was wondering if you happen to remember where in the car you tapped the ignition coil wire for the tach input to the alarm. I have already tested the wires at the ignition coil connector and found the correct wire. All the sites that I've looked at tell me that I needed a green wire with a yellow stripe. As it turns out the wire that I need is actually white with yellow stripe. I don't really want to tap into the ignition coil under the hood because there's no good way to hide that wire from would be thieves. I would rather do it inside the cabin with the rest of the connections but I can't seem to find the tach wire underneath the dash. This is for my 91 Grand Marquis LS, so the wires may have different colors than your car but I figured the location for these particular wires may be in the same location. My car does not have a factory tach so I thought it might be behind the cluster in an unused connector. Do you happen to remember where you tapped into your tach wire? I know it's a long shot but I just thought I'd ask in the event that you do remember. Any info that you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

-Rob

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4

Comment

if you have a distributor and regular coil... it's the wire that goes between the coil and the TFI (Ignition) module.

Comment

I was hoping to find it inside the car in the dash somewhere

Comment

Yep I tapped into the negative coil wire before under the hood. I forget the color but it's where sly said. I am not sure of a spot in the cabin. But since you have a tach it should be there somewhere. I'd guess behind the cluster somewhere.

Can you not tap into it under the hood and then tuck the wire inside the loom with the factory wiring?
                      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

NO GUARANTY on this.

Looking at a factory 89 EVTM, it looks like the DG/Y wire from the ECA to the coil might give you the signal at the firewall. There is a resistor in-line taped to the harness just to the right (facing the engine) of the distributor. I am not sure if the signal you get close to the firewall (going in to the ECA) is strong enough for the alarm given the resistor.
                        Last edited by jaywish; 09-11-2013, 11:47 PM.
                        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Ah ok yea, I suppose I could just tap in at the coil, get the correct signal and hide it in the factory harness. I was just trying to stay out of the engine compartment. Thanks for all the quick responses and info.

Comment

Ok got tje tach all wired up from the coil an ran it through the fatory loom. I thought that was the last of my conmections and when I attempt to rwmote start the car the remote sounds the correct sound and the car does nothing. Are there any others that have installed a Viper remote start successfully? If so I'm in desperate need of your help. Just as a note, this is the viper 5701 2 way alarm with remote start/keyless entry. I think this may warrant a new thread at this point but I just though all this info would be best kept together.

Comment

Ok, scratch that last post. Finally have the viper 5701 all wired up correctly and now have an alarm with keyless entry, remote start starter kill circuit that all reports back to me on a 2 way key fob. Everything is soldered and heat shrunk so I will hopefully never have to deal with that huge pain in the ass of an install again. Thanks to all who helped me get through this install. It's such a relief to be done with it and finally feel safe about being able to park my car in New York City.

Comment

Working...
                              X