Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mercracer View Post
    Why don't you buy it?
    Because I already own 5 panthers, and have no intentions of buying another one.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by tjc78 View Post
      Yeah the 95-7 has a better dash layout. The HVAC controls don't get all pushed in and shitty looking, the steering wheel is better with available stereo controls and the whole thing looks better IMO.
      Sorry, gotta correct this cuz its bugging me....

Yes Panthers got a new interior in '95, but they still had the old brick steering wheel that year. The '95 engine is the same shit-heap you'll find in '92.5-'94 with its asthmatic all aluminum heat soak oil burning intake and old head casting. They got the new much better breathing plastic intake in '96 along with a revised head casting (still an NPI, and its not important unless you are swapping higher lift cams). They got a new steering wheel in '96 as well, its the same one you'll find in a t-bird of the era, and a '96-'04 Mustang, and it NEVER had radio controls. '95-'97 Town Cars got a wheel with radio controls, and that is the same wheel you'll find in '98-'04 CV/GMQ.

These are my reasons for looking specifically for '96-'97 Panthers, its the Aero body I like, but without all of the issues that plagued earlier Aeros. Yeah the plastic intake may crack, but at least it doesn't heat soak, and it actually flows halfway decent, plus it can be swapped out to the very well flowing PI intake with little work.
      -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
      1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
      1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
      1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

Originally posted by BigMerc96 View Post
        These are my reasons for looking specifically for '96-'97 Panthers, its the Aero body I like, but without all of the issues that plagued earlier Aeros...
        Good points if you are looking to leave a car alone but steering wheel and engine would not be a deal breaker for me as they both can be swapped out. I would be doing a PI or Windsor engine swap anyway if I ever get an Aero.

Comment

Originally posted by BigMerc96 View Post
          Sorry, gotta correct this cuz its bugging me....

Yes Panthers got a new interior in '95, but they still had the old brick steering wheel that year. The '95 engine is the same shit-heap you'll find in '92.5-'94 with its asthmatic all aluminum heat soak oil burning intake and old head casting. They got the new much better breathing plastic intake in '96 along with a revised head casting (still an NPI, and its not important unless you are swapping higher lift cams). They got a new steering wheel in '96 as well, its the same one you'll find in a t-bird of the era, and a '96-'04 Mustang, and it NEVER had radio controls. '95-'97 Town Cars got a wheel with radio controls, and that is the same wheel you'll find in '98-'04 CV/GMQ.

These are my reasons for looking specifically for '96-'97 Panthers, its the Aero body I like, but without all of the issues that plagued earlier Aeros. Yeah the plastic intake may crack, but at least it doesn't heat soak, and it actually flows halfway decent, plus it can be swapped out to the very well flowing PI intake with little work.
          I thought we were talking TC exclusively. That is what my comments were referring to. Yes, you are certainly correct 95 CV/GM still had the brick wheel. 96-97 had the common Ford wheel used on just about everything that wasn't a truck.

As for the intake, valid points but I'd rather not have the plastic.
          2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
          2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
          Past Panthers
          1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
          if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

HOLY Hijack Batman! I just wanted to know the difficulties of putting a 4.6 into my 84 MGM. Not the difference between 92 - 95 vs 96 - 04 areoes.

Comment

difficulties... wiring... wiring... and more f'n wiring. If using the trans as well... that helps... it's pretty much a bolt in, but you have to change out with the 92+ engine mounts. getting the shift linkage to work with the newer trans will be a bugger. Did I mention the wiring? You may not have the needed warning lights either, so... more wiring. And you might need a later drive shaft and pinion flange. And after all of that, the engine will need a tune probably. And maybe more wiring.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thank you Slymer, I've think I will stay with a 302 or 351 as time will not be on my side. So I'll just keep it simple.

P.S. Thanks again everyone for your input

Comment

Working...
                X