302 to 4.6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

302 to 4.6

I got my hands on a 84 GM 2 door. The engine is weak and needs attention. is a swap to a 4.6 a good choice? I will have a chance to get a 98 tc as a parts car for the swap.

Its a swap thats been talked to death, but only a few have ever completed. The most difficult thing I'd think would be wiring everything up. Provided you have a complete parts car, it'd just be a matter of making it happen. You should have everything you need between the 2 cars. Keep in mind, you'd be using the newer trans too, with its computer control. You couldn't use the AOD if you wanted too since the bellhousing is different. You'll also probably be best to use a driveshaft from a '95+ CVPI, the one in that Town Car is too long, as is the one in the '84 since that Town Car has the long tailshaft on the trans.
    -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
    1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
    1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
    1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

It's a lot of work for, in practice, pretty much no gain. Some more power, but much more expensive to modify on a dollar per hp basis.. More reliable in theory but that's probably not true for a used engine swapped into a car it wasn't built for vs. rebuilding the original engine. Maybe better fuel economy but not by much.

What sort of attention does the engine need? burning oil? bad compression or leakdown test results? knocking? Or just using more gas, hard starting, down on power, etc.?

Perhaps more importantly, what is your budget and skill level?

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

i did the opposite, i have a 302 in my 92 grand marquis, i had two broken bastard block 4.6's (the good used engine broke a spark plug in the head and at that point is was cheaper to install a 302 than pull the head and send it out and change the timing chains).......find a 88-92 mark VII parts car instead and swap the 302 ho in

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

it will only lead to tears......
          89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Thanks for the input. it was just a thought since i would be able to get the tc for $600, no it not worth fixing up and driving. I was going to use the trans as well, my main concern was the motor mounts, if they were the same I can do this if I have to fab new mounts well It's beyond ability. Guess it's going to be a 351 SPFI

Comment

From the TC you can use the front upper control arm, spindels and brakes. The rear brakes and probably the air spring suspension if it has the seprate control module in the trunk. If it is not the limo and it has posi you can use the carrier.
              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                From the TC you can use the front upper control arm, spindels and brakes. The rear brakes and probably the air spring suspension if it has the seprate control module in the trunk. If it is not the limo and it has posi you can use the carrier.
                .... the axle will be more or less a direct swap, no need to rip the carrier out.
                89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

the 4.6 mount brackets will bolt to the box frame
                  i took mine out when i did the 5.0 conversion and bolted the box motor mounts into the 92 frame
                  the trans mount and crossmember is different need to use the town car one
                  the rear will bolt in, just have to run brake lines and hook up e-brake cables

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

Comment

I am not an expert on this but if I rememer right from others on this forum, you can swap the whole rear up to and including 1997. Do I have that right?
                    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

correct jay

Comment

Within driving distance of me, on CL are a few drivetrains (engine & tranny). 1 302 drivetrain, $900. 1 4.6 drivetrain, $500. 1 460 drivetrain, $600.

I think it all depends on how much you value your time, if you're able/going to be doing your own swap, or paying someone else to put it all in. The wiring of a non-stock drivetrain into a car, or throttle/shifter linkages etc. can be a bitch, but if you like having something different, or surprising, or fuel-economy-be-damned-460-power, maybe it's worth the hassle to go do something different.

As long as you're totally committed to getting it done, not ripping the old crap out, getting the new stuff part-way in then giving up and letting it sit to rot. Have enough money set aside and a good mechanic that could finish the job for you before you start the project in case other things come up that prevent you from completing it in a timely manner.
                        Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

If you're using TownCar drivetrain on non towncar panther, keep in mind you'll need a custom driveshaft made, or find a Mark VI two door...

Comment

Thanks again for the input everybody. this is sounding a little more doable with some extras.

Comment

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. For the money, you can install an Explorer motor and have more horsepower and torque. You are going to spend money on custom wiring and the fuel system. Exhaust will cost you more.
                              What are your goals? If your goal is a cheap replacement engine, you will not attain that goal. If your goal is more power than stock, you will have that but less power than if your stayed with a 302 upgrade. IF your goal is to have something different, you will have that but at a significant cost $$. Do not go into this believing that it is a cheap and simple swap for someone who is not already experienced in engine and transmission platform conversions.
                              Originally posted by storm97 View Post
                              my main concern was the motor mounts, if they were the same I can do this if I have to fab new mounts well It's beyond ability.
                              You will likely have to do some motor mount fabbing. If this is beyond your ability then this is not the conversion for you. You could convert to a 351W for less money and less headaches.
                              Last edited by Mercracer; 10-05-2012, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X