PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 37 of 37

Thread: 302 to 4.6

  1. #21
    Fastest Box In South Jersey 86VickyLX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Westmont, New Jersey
    Posts
    10,369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pantera77 View Post
    no one in their right mind would trade a 2 door for a 95+.
    x1000

  2. #22
    Domestic Tourist Lincolnmania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Birdsboro PA.
    Posts
    17,449

    Default

    i traded a two door for a 95 thunderbird with a 4.6 and a fresh 4r70w.......guess i was outta my mind lol

    1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

    please be patient, rebuilding an empire!


  3. #23
    GMN Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Fredericton, N.B. Canada
    Posts
    12,525

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jaywish View Post
    Just curious what improved significantly in the interiors?
    What he said...IMO, the '94- interiors look better than '95+...
    '79 Continental Town Car
    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
    '94 Crown Victoria

  4. #24
    Ford Fanatic Mercracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,231

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jaywish View Post
    Just curious what improved significantly in the interiors?
    Dash pad, HVAC controls, seats, door panels, wiring....
    It is far easier to find serviceable interior parts also.

  5. #25
    Ford Fanatic Mercracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,231

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pantera77 View Post
    No one in their right mind would trade a 2 door for a 95+.
    Why don't you buy it?

  6. #26
    I post a lot...
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southern NJ
    Posts
    2,660

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mercracer View Post
    Dash pad, HVAC controls, seats, door panels, wiring....
    It is far easier to find serviceable interior parts also.
    Yeah the 95-7 has a better dash layout. The HVAC controls don't get all pushed in and shitty looking, the steering wheel is better with available stereo controls and the whole thing looks better IMO.
    2017 Buick Enclave 3.6 (Burgundy/Beige)
    2019 Volvo S60 Inscription (Crystal White / Blond)
    Past Panthers
    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

    Quote Originally Posted by Lincolnmania View Post
    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

  7. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pantera77 View Post
    No one in their right mind would trade a 2 door for a 95+.
    This is my 4th panther; I have owned an 88 CV, 97 GM, 99 GM, all 4 doors, I have wanted a 2 door for quit awhile I have no intentions of getting rid of this one. So I guess I'm in my right mind.

    Yes I plan to improve this one. A friend of mine has the TC, it is a drivable car but needs to much work to be a DD, but good for a parts car. this is why I started this tread, to see how much trouble it would be.

  8. #28

    Default Pics

    Here are some Pic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 097.JPG   098.JPG   095.JPG   094.JPG  

  9. #29
    Domestic Tourist Lincolnmania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Birdsboro PA.
    Posts
    17,449

    Default

    very nice!

    1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

    please be patient, rebuilding an empire!


  10. #30
    Fastest Box In South Jersey 86VickyLX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Westmont, New Jersey
    Posts
    10,369

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by storm97 View Post
    Here are some Pic
    I want!

  11. #31
    I post a lot... pantera77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    4,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mercracer View Post
    Why don't you buy it?
    Because I already own 5 panthers, and have no intentions of buying another one.

  12. #32
    Member BigMerc96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    I can see Detroit from here
    Posts
    517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tjc78 View Post
    Yeah the 95-7 has a better dash layout. The HVAC controls don't get all pushed in and shitty looking, the steering wheel is better with available stereo controls and the whole thing looks better IMO.
    Sorry, gotta correct this cuz its bugging me....

    Yes Panthers got a new interior in '95, but they still had the old brick steering wheel that year. The '95 engine is the same shit-heap you'll find in '92.5-'94 with its asthmatic all aluminum heat soak oil burning intake and old head casting. They got the new much better breathing plastic intake in '96 along with a revised head casting (still an NPI, and its not important unless you are swapping higher lift cams). They got a new steering wheel in '96 as well, its the same one you'll find in a t-bird of the era, and a '96-'04 Mustang, and it NEVER had radio controls. '95-'97 Town Cars got a wheel with radio controls, and that is the same wheel you'll find in '98-'04 CV/GMQ.

    These are my reasons for looking specifically for '96-'97 Panthers, its the Aero body I like, but without all of the issues that plagued earlier Aeros. Yeah the plastic intake may crack, but at least it doesn't heat soak, and it actually flows halfway decent, plus it can be swapped out to the very well flowing PI intake with little work.
    -Steve

    2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
    1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
    1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
    1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

  13. #33
    Ford Fanatic Mercracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,231

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigMerc96 View Post
    These are my reasons for looking specifically for '96-'97 Panthers, its the Aero body I like, but without all of the issues that plagued earlier Aeros...
    Good points if you are looking to leave a car alone but steering wheel and engine would not be a deal breaker for me as they both can be swapped out. I would be doing a PI or Windsor engine swap anyway if I ever get an Aero.

  14. #34
    I post a lot...
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Southern NJ
    Posts
    2,660

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigMerc96 View Post
    Sorry, gotta correct this cuz its bugging me....

    Yes Panthers got a new interior in '95, but they still had the old brick steering wheel that year. The '95 engine is the same shit-heap you'll find in '92.5-'94 with its asthmatic all aluminum heat soak oil burning intake and old head casting. They got the new much better breathing plastic intake in '96 along with a revised head casting (still an NPI, and its not important unless you are swapping higher lift cams). They got a new steering wheel in '96 as well, its the same one you'll find in a t-bird of the era, and a '96-'04 Mustang, and it NEVER had radio controls. '95-'97 Town Cars got a wheel with radio controls, and that is the same wheel you'll find in '98-'04 CV/GMQ.

    These are my reasons for looking specifically for '96-'97 Panthers, its the Aero body I like, but without all of the issues that plagued earlier Aeros. Yeah the plastic intake may crack, but at least it doesn't heat soak, and it actually flows halfway decent, plus it can be swapped out to the very well flowing PI intake with little work.
    I thought we were talking TC exclusively. That is what my comments were referring to. Yes, you are certainly correct 95 CV/GM still had the brick wheel. 96-97 had the common Ford wheel used on just about everything that wasn't a truck.

    As for the intake, valid points but I'd rather not have the plastic.
    2017 Buick Enclave 3.6 (Burgundy/Beige)
    2019 Volvo S60 Inscription (Crystal White / Blond)
    Past Panthers
    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

    Quote Originally Posted by Lincolnmania View Post
    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

  15. #35

    Default

    HOLY Hijack Batman! I just wanted to know the difficulties of putting a 4.6 into my 84 MGM. Not the difference between 92 - 95 vs 96 - 04 areoes.

  16. #36
    Beater gonna beat sly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lewisville, TX
    Posts
    21,549

    Default

    difficulties... wiring... wiring... and more f'n wiring. If using the trans as well... that helps... it's pretty much a bolt in, but you have to change out with the 92+ engine mounts. getting the shift linkage to work with the newer trans will be a bugger. Did I mention the wiring? You may not have the needed warning lights either, so... more wiring. And you might need a later drive shaft and pinion flange. And after all of that, the engine will need a tune probably. And maybe more wiring.

    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

  17. #37

    Default

    Thank you Slymer, I've think I will stay with a 302 or 351 as time will not be on my side. So I'll just keep it simple.

    P.S. Thanks again everyone for your input

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
GMN Approved Links!


www.rockauto.com www.adtr.net