X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotary Manual HVAC swap into 93 Vic LX with stock manual HVAC

Rotary HVAC control swap into a 1993 Ford Crown Victoria

First… the obvious… remove the old HVAC controls.

Remove the “Black Box” from the top that has the electrical slider in it. You’ll need the connector off the board. Note the traces on the left of the connector header (I’ve already removed the connector). This tells you which lines to jumper together. I’ve also noted on the board which wires from the new connector to the rotary temp control go. (B=Blue, R=Red, Y=Yellow… Cold and Hot are reference to when each line hits zero ohms)

You will need to drill out the rivets that hold the connector at each end. A de-soldering tool will help immensely here as a soldering wick might not be able to get it all out of the hole.

Then wrap with electrical tape for that no more shorts feeling…

This plugs into the large connector for the stock manual controls and adapts that to the little 3-wire connector for the new controls.

Next, we re-pin…
    Match color for color on the fan control. A small flat screwdriver works wonders for getting the tabs to release the pins from the connector (no soldering required).

The original order is A B C D. The new order is C B D A.

Match the vacuum connections color for color as well…
    I secured the two segments together with hot glue since I have it on hand.

You will need to thin down the mounting ears of the controls so that they will fit. (Actually going about 1/8 inch more would have been perfect… but that’s a little too thin for my liking. I just took out the raised edge so that the plastic was totally flat.)

Now, the dash mods. You’ll have to remove the stock clips and edge out the square holes to clear the width of the controls. You’ll need to drill new holes for the pegs as well. You will also need some speed clips to replace the stock clips. I used my Dremel for most of this and a 1/4 inch drill bit on my drill for the peg holes.

Lastly, plug everything in and button it back up.
    Attached Files

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

And the end result:
    Attached Files

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Too bad you don't have time to fab these on a professional basis, in quantity. Would be a nice business......Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

sounds like I need a new vent switch too. BAH. Leaks on MAX A/C.

Comment

Stickied. Because it needs to be.

-ryan s.
          08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
          03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
          97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
          94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
          73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
          12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
          Originally posted by pantera77
          Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Originally posted by SVT98t View Post
            Stickied. Because it needs to be.

-ryan s.
            or so you thought.

Comment

I'm sure I missed it somewhere, but where did the rotary knob unit come from? Was this an option on the 93 (or probably 92-94) CV/GM?
              Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
              ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
              ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

95+ I think it is. Also late 90s F150s. Not sure which mine came from, but it was probably an F150 since I had to shave it down so much.

Comment

Working...
                X