No announcement yet.

Parasitic Battery Drain!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happened with this thread? Looks like no solution was posted to this problem. I have had several parasitic battery draw problems with my P72s. In one instance, the VR was bad causing a 3.5A draw. Two other and different cars had a 0.5A draw only when the car was warm (after driven) and the draw went away after the car was allowed to fully cool. Very perplexing!! In both cases, the diodes were weak (breaking down with heat) in the Alternator. These problems are tough to diagnose! Was wondering if you ever fixed this one?

Comment

Hi Guys

No one has mentioned the deck lid pull down motor, I've had a couple of broken switches that have kept the motor powered even when the lid was closed.

Regards

Dereck
      President and founder of The Turbine Wheel Appreciation Society and Little Debbie Cake Connoissuer

Also "The Pondside Pain In Your Posterior"

Comment

Probably about four days after my last post I discovered what was going on. It turned out to be the underhood light. I guess it had a bad mercury switch and was off when the hood was open (I assumed it was burnt out) and turned on once the hood was completely closed. I was just lucky enough to notice the light switch on as I closed the hood one night! No other drain problems since then.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
        2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
        2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

my Lincoln was doing that, the bracket was bent down. I bent the bracket back up and it started working correctly again.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Awesome!

Pete
            Originally posted by gadget73
            For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
            1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
            1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Thank you for the update! Nice catch. Less expensive than other known problems for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by L1011tristar17 View Post
                Probably about four days after my last post I discovered what was going on. It turned out to be the underhood light. I guess it had a bad mercury switch and was off when the hood was open (I assumed it was burnt out) and turned on once the hood was completely closed. I was just lucky enough to notice the light switch on as I closed the hood one night! No other drain problems since then.
                I'll be damned. It's the little things that get ya.

Comment

Working...
                X