No announcement yet.

My '89 Lincoln Town Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I'd do cloth rather than vinyl. It would look more proper. Anyplace that does marine canvas should be able to supply the material and likely they can do the edging and all that. The actual installation, dunno.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'll probably end up going with canvas as opposed to vinyl. I took it to an upholstery place years ago for a quote. The guy working there said the fiberglass shell was fastened and glued to the roof so it would require dropping the headliner and using a long prybar. I think the quote was $1200 to do it all.

I see a lot of cars driving around with the fake convertible tops, so you would think there would be some sort of aftermarket out there. I thought about fixing the edges in the short term with something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Besteek-Prote...dp/B06ZZDF85V/

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
      2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
      2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

He's right on how its attached. Big blobs of the same adhesive used to glue windshields in.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Please tell me the way Ford attached the other roofs from the factory was at least marginally better than how ASC did those awful carriage tops..
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

The ones under the half vinyl? Not honestly sure. I think those also glue on but it might be a little better of a job than the globs of windshield schmoo.

Comment

New fuel pump went in today. I got the pump by itself instead of the whole assembly, but it came with a replacement rubber hose and o-ring. I also got a new strainer.

The tank was not too difficult to get out. I used my floor jack to lower it down although I had to lift the car a few more inches to get enough clearance. Good thing I still had the bumper jack!

I had to put different connectors for the new pump. I had a hard time figuring out how to put the strainer on. No instructions on the box and my shop manual didn't say anything. The old pump strainer was sitting in the bottom of the tank, which might explain why it wasn't working great! The old pump was a Bosch.

Getting the tank back was definitely the worst part! The straps were all bent up and I had a hard time getting them straight enough to reach the studs. Eventually it worked out and the car seems to idle a lot better than it used to. Next up is new tires!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1771.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	1286170 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1775.jpg
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	1286171 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1780.jpg
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	1286172

Comment

The factory pumps were Bosch, quite probably thats what you took out.

Comment

That would explain it then! 249,000 was a good run.

Comment

yeah electric fuel pumps last a decently long time, especially on vehicles that actually get used. Sitting seems to be what kills them.

Comment

Originally posted by L1011tristar17 View Post
                      That would explain it then! 249,000 was a good run.
                      And 30 years!

I'd bet my house that whatever you installed won't return the same run.
                      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Goddamn i'd say you got your money's worth.

Comment

Fuel pump on my 93 lasted about 230K IIRC. My Expedition only got 130K out of it's fuel pump.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Just passed another state inspection. The person who inspected it told me that the NC laws recently changed and my car won't need anymore safety inspections since it is now 30 years old. I'll have to look into that even though the inspection is only $13.

On another note, the misfire is back. It's not near as bad as it was with the old fuel pump. It happens intermittently after the car has warmed up and is idling at a stop. The car actually seemed to run better the longer I drove it.

Name:	IMG_1992.jpg
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	1286200
                            Last edited by L1011tristar17; 11-17-2019, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Not sure why the picture is upside down. Guess it's my fault for using Australian Siri

Comment

The good: Oil is changed, leak is (mostly gone). One of the "new" crush washers was really chewed up which might explain the oil leak. Brand new drain plugs seal perfectly.

The not-so-good: Tires are nearly 9 years old at this point. I currently have Hankook Optimo H724's.

Misfire is also back, but it only occurs after a warm start. I'm thinking it is probably something electrical. Any thoughts? Most of the ignition components were replaced in 2014 right before I retired it from daily driving duty.

Name:	IMG_3245.jpg
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	1286474 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3246.jpg
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	1286475

Comment

Working...
                                X