PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: My '89 Lincoln Town Car

I've thought of replacing small section of vacuum tube with adhesive lined heat shrink tube and just concentrating the heat around the ends that overlap the line I'm trying to fix.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Quote Originally Posted by VicCrownVic View Post
    1/8" ID vacuum hose is what I use to for in line repair, or even full line replacement. Here's an example from the eBay seller I buy from: http://www.ebay.com/itm/400268086852...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT, and that seller has a few different colors.
    This. I bought a 50 foot spool of 1/8 id line and replaced a LOT of lines with it. Everything works great now.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Presidential Ride L1011tristar17's Avatar

Default Car/life update

Hey everyone! It's been a while since I last posted here. Life has gotten pretty busy over the last year. I finished grad school, started a full-time job, and did some shuffling around with my cars. The Buick is long gone and the BMW will be up for sale soon. I picked up a new truck this past weekend (2018 Tacoma) and I absolutely love driving it! Fortunately, my Lincoln isn't going anywhere. My apartment complex is pretty lenient when it comes to parking and doesn't mind me parking it in the overflow lot. I haven't had a lot of free time to work on it since I had to keep the BMW on the road (big part of the reason I am selling it). But I still have big plans for it.

Once I have my own garage I would really like to start tearing into it and replacing all of the worn out parts. It is a couple hundred miles away from 250k and I am willing to bet that a majority of the rubber suspension parts are original. I figure it will be easier to fix everything at once when the car is taken apart. I don't really plan on doing anything else different other than a HO or Explorer swap. Since I have a new vehicle with a warranty I can work on the Lincoln at a leisurely pace. I still drive the car every now and then but it has a pretty bad misfire that seems to come and go. Transmission slips only when it's cold and accelerating from a stop. I bought a new battery for it a couple months ago since I left the lights on and killed the old battery.

I also finally registered the car in NC but they wouldn't let me keep the vanity plate (boo) but I did get rid of the ugly front license plate bracket (yay). It really makes the front of the car look a lot better.

1989 Lincoln Town Car 249k miles, current project car
    2018 Toyota Tacoma bone stock, daily driver

Approaching 2 decades of DDing Box Panthers VicCrownVic's Avatar

Welcome back again! Good to hear things seem to be going well for you and that the TC will be staying with you.
    Vic

~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, summer DD
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon - wannabe winter DD - I'll fix it eventually
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - My rotting winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

GMN Regular

Time to up-date your signature. Welcome back!
    '79 Continental Town Car
    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
    '94 Crown Victoria

Digital Dash Enthusiast Hearsesrock427's Avatar

I'm surprised you put up with E46 for as long as you did. Even if you get one that's been well cared for it always adds up. Newest generation 3 series I would ever own would be an E36 and even those are wrought with problems from the factory. E46s are worse. (E90s are stupider still, but that's another story.) We rag on our panthers for some of the stupid shit Ford did on our boxes (drainage issues, weak pre '86 timing gears & timing chains, weak pre '88 AODs, plastic '87-'91 302 TV cable grommet, stupid water pump/timing cover design).

But all that pales in comparison to the corners that BMW and countless other "premium" manufacturers have cut, and continue to cut. The fact that we can trick out a panther to handle as good as, if not better than, an E46 as well as maintain it for a fraction of the cost of an E46 is proof positive that a lot of so-called "premium" cars are just more cents than sense purchases. They're sold to people who are happy with paying a premium for something that's really not that much better than other offerings, both in the short term and the long term. Sucks you had to learn that lesson the hard way, but at least now you know. Am excited to see how things go with your Town Car in the interim! Welcome back indeed.

Some links to qualify my claims about E36 and E46:
    http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...ook-out-t3652/
    http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...m3-e36-review/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/commen...s_reliability/

http://e46valvecover.com/13-common-p...mw-e46-models/
    https://www.bimmershops.com/e46-3-se...ommon-problems
    Last edited by Hearsesrock427; 01-13-2018 at 12:33 PM.
    Slicktopped 1989 Grand Marquis "Ebyt". Primary project.
    255/50/R16 BF Goodrich G-force Sport Comp 2 tires, big disc brakes, polyurethane suspension bushings + body mounts, BBK long tube headers, HVAC delete
    Summer 2019 plans: Aluminum driveshaft, additional chassis bracing

Slicktopped 1985 Grand Marquis "Eva". Secondary project.
    Winter 2019 plans: Full chassis swap, maintenance.

Southern

Why not fix the skip at least? Or low priority to fix much of any of it til you move to a house w/garage. If you're in Charlotte - you're an hour and a half away from me and I like to visit the 4 different self service junkyards up there and in Rock Hill.
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

1966 Ford Country Squire - 6.4L 390 2bbl/C6 - ~85K miles
    1989 Mercury Colony Park LS - 302 V8- 188K miles.
    1990 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 302 V8- 102K miles.
    2003 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series 3x - (42K, 79K-totaled, 222k)

Planning on getting some new sig pics when the snow melts.

As for the BMW, I owned it for about a year and a half and put 30,000 miles on it. Only repairs I had to do during that time were wear-and-tear items typical for a 20 year old car. I think these cars are very well-built and mine drove like a brand-new car. It has aged a lot better than most other cars made in '99. I am only selling it because I don't have the time and space to perform regular maintenance on it. I don't have to worry about this with the Lincoln because I only put about 2-3 thousand miles on it a year.

The misfire is something I attempted to fix a couple years ago by throwing a bunch of parts at it. It still drives just fine and the misfire has been occurring less and less. One day I'll get into it. I still go to LKQ and Pull-A-Part to look for unobtanium parts. I found a minty dash pad there about a year ago.

Did a little more tinkering and finally got all door panels back on the car. I also got it washed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0359.jpeg 
Views:	18 
Size:	952.7 KB 
ID:	52070 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0360.jpeg 
Views:	18 
Size:	850.2 KB 
ID:	52071 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0372.jpeg 
Views:	17 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	52069 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0378.jpeg 
Views:	14 
Size:	891.4 KB 
ID:	52072

I'm leaving for Ireland in a few days so unfortunately it will have to sit for a few more weeks before I drive it again. The a/c doesn't work but driving with the windows down isn't so miserable. Lubricating the window tracks made a huge difference!

Looking good!
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

I'm jealous how good your paint job still is. Looks really nice.

Any plans on the vinyl roof down the road? Looks like it's starting to give up the ghost. (Like I should talk, mine has been a tattered disgusting mess for years )

Thanks! Paint is starting to look bad in some places but it was painted in the PO's backyard so I can't really complain. The silver hides a lot of the dirt and scratches pretty well.

Yes, the fake convertible top has been giving me problems since day one. I got a quote for ~$1200 to replace it and that was probably 7 years ago. Depending on how much it ends up being I may try to do some of it myself, I've been wanting to re-do the headliner anyway.

Set up the dashcam in the Lincoln. I've had it this way for a few months and haven't captured anything really interesting yet. I'm using the cables that came with it for now but eventually I'll hardwire it like how it is in my truck.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dashcam.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	52213

Camera is an A119S. I took one with me to Ireland and set it up in the rental car. Got lots of really cool footage over there!

I may be replacing the oil pan sooner than I thought

Took my car to Meineke last December for an oil change (first time getting the oil changed at a shop since I bought it in 2010). As they were working on it one of the techs told me that he had to replace both drain plugs since they were "stripped out." Interesting, I didn't realize my grip was that strong but ok. My car spends 29 or 30 days out of the month in its regular parking space and the oil stain underneath it has started to grow. I put it on jacks yesterday and saw oil dripping from the new drain plugs they had put in.

My theory is that they stripped out the plugs when they were doing the oil change, not me. I had done all the oil changes myself and never run into that problem. I called the store and told them what was going on. The guy on the other end kept harping about how he couldn't believe I haven't changed the oil since the last time I was there. "I can't believe you haven't changed your oil in over a year man!" On what, a car I drive ~800 miles a year? I kept explaining the leaking drain plugs to him but he didn't want to listen and kept bringing up the fact that I haven't changed the oil since then, so I just hung up and called their corporate office instead. Hoping to hear from them in the next couple of weeks.

I post a lot...

There used to be self tappers to fix that.
    "X" car 89 Colony Park LS Mods>Engine delete, SS duals magnaflow hflow cats, 2010 Must GT mufflers, auto air shocks, Posi, Tran cooler, big front brakes, 03+ rear disks, Large 3g alt, Tripminder, GS grill, 86 seats, 16" HPP wheels, winter boots=96 Cartier wheels, 215-65/16 Goodyear ULTRA GW3 snows, pi rear sway, alum driveshaft.
    03 Marauder DBP, HS, 6disk, Organizer, Silver Stars, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector.
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated Cooper Zeon RS3-A, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17

Quote Originally Posted by jaywish View Post
    There used to be self tappers to fix that.
    X2 I run an oversized in my 74 pickup. Looks like they still make them.
    1988 Crown Vic Wagon - daily
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, former lawn ornament
    Other: 95 Ranger, 74 F250, 68 Mustang, 94 Mustang
    Sold: 1982 LTD and 1987 Crown Vic

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Make sure they put gaskets under the drain plugs before you get too far along. Its never going to seal without the gasket.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789