No announcement yet.

My '89 Lincoln Town Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm surprised you put up with E46 for as long as you did. Even if you get one that's been well cared for it always adds up. Newest generation 3 series I would ever own would be an E36 and even those are wrought with problems from the factory. E46s are worse. (E90s are stupider still, but that's another story.) We rag on our panthers for some of the stupid shit Ford did on our boxes (drainage issues, weak pre '86 timing gears & timing chains, weak pre '88 AODs, plastic '87-'91 302 TV cable grommet, stupid water pump/timing cover design).

But all that pales in comparison to the corners that BMW and countless other "premium" manufacturers have cut, and continue to cut. The fact that we can trick out a panther to handle as good as, if not better than, an E46 as well as maintain it for a fraction of the cost of an E46 is proof positive that a lot of so-called "premium" cars are just more cents than sense purchases. They're sold to people who are happy with paying a premium for something that's really not that much better than other offerings, both in the short term and the long term. Sucks you had to learn that lesson the hard way, but at least now you know. Am excited to see how things go with your Town Car in the interim! Welcome back indeed.

Some links to qualify my claims about E36 and E46:
    http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/...ook-out-t3652/
    http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...m3-e36-review/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/commen...s_reliability/

http://e46valvecover.com/13-common-p...mw-e46-models/
    https://www.bimmershops.com/e46-3-se...ommon-problems
    Last edited by Hearsesrock427; 01-13-2018, 01:33 PM.
    '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
    '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
    '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

Why not fix the skip at least? Or low priority to fix much of any of it til you move to a house w/garage. If you're in Charlotte - you're an hour and a half away from me and I like to visit the 4 different self service junkyards up there and in Rock Hill.
      -Nick M.
      Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
      03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Planning on getting some new sig pics when the snow melts.

As for the BMW, I owned it for about a year and a half and put 30,000 miles on it. Only repairs I had to do during that time were wear-and-tear items typical for a 20 year old car. I think these cars are very well-built and mine drove like a brand-new car. It has aged a lot better than most other cars made in '99. I am only selling it because I don't have the time and space to perform regular maintenance on it. I don't have to worry about this with the Lincoln because I only put about 2-3 thousand miles on it a year.

The misfire is something I attempted to fix a couple years ago by throwing a bunch of parts at it. It still drives just fine and the misfire has been occurring less and less. One day I'll get into it. I still go to LKQ and Pull-A-Part to look for unobtanium parts. I found a minty dash pad there about a year ago.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
        2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
        2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

Did a little more tinkering and finally got all door panels back on the car. I also got it washed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0359.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	952.7 KB
ID:	1285412 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0360.jpeg
Size:	850.2 KB
ID:	1285413 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0372.jpeg
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	1285411 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0378.jpeg
Size:	891.4 KB
ID:	1285414

I'm leaving for Ireland in a few days so unfortunately it will have to sit for a few more weeks before I drive it again. The a/c doesn't work but driving with the windows down isn't so miserable. Lubricating the window tracks made a huge difference!

Comment

Looking good!
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I'm jealous how good your paint job still is. Looks really nice.

Any plans on the vinyl roof down the road? Looks like it's starting to give up the ghost. (Like I should talk, mine has been a tattered disgusting mess for years )

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Thanks! Paint is starting to look bad in some places but it was painted in the PO's backyard so I can't really complain. The silver hides a lot of the dirt and scratches pretty well.

Yes, the fake convertible top has been giving me problems since day one. I got a quote for ~$1200 to replace it and that was probably 7 years ago. Depending on how much it ends up being I may try to do some of it myself, I've been wanting to re-do the headliner anyway.

Comment

Set up the dashcam in the Lincoln. I've had it this way for a few months and haven't captured anything really interesting yet. I'm using the cables that came with it for now but eventually I'll hardwire it like how it is in my truck.

Name:	Dashcam.jpg
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	1285528

Camera is an A119S. I took one with me to Ireland and set it up in the rental car. Got lots of really cool footage over there!

Comment

I may be replacing the oil pan sooner than I thought

Took my car to Meineke last December for an oil change (first time getting the oil changed at a shop since I bought it in 2010). As they were working on it one of the techs told me that he had to replace both drain plugs since they were "stripped out." Interesting, I didn't realize my grip was that strong but ok. My car spends 29 or 30 days out of the month in its regular parking space and the oil stain underneath it has started to grow. I put it on jacks yesterday and saw oil dripping from the new drain plugs they had put in.

My theory is that they stripped out the plugs when they were doing the oil change, not me. I had done all the oil changes myself and never run into that problem. I called the store and told them what was going on. The guy on the other end kept harping about how he couldn't believe I haven't changed the oil since the last time I was there. "I can't believe you haven't changed your oil in over a year man!" On what, a car I drive ~800 miles a year? I kept explaining the leaking drain plugs to him but he didn't want to listen and kept bringing up the fact that I haven't changed the oil since then, so I just hung up and called their corporate office instead. Hoping to hear from them in the next couple of weeks.

Comment

There used to be self tappers to fix that.
                      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                        There used to be self tappers to fix that.
                        X2 I run an oversized in my 74 pickup. Looks like they still make them.
                        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Make sure they put gaskets under the drain plugs before you get too far along. Its never going to seal without the gasket.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The car has been sitting for the last couple weeks. I planned on driving it back to my parent's house to do some work on it, but the fuel pump had other ideas. I was able to coast to a stop and come back for it an hour later. Luckily I was only a 10 minute walk from my place when it happened. I know it needs new tires too but I haven't had the chance to get those done. The car runs pretty well otherwise considering how infrequently I drive it!

Any of you guys have experience with these simulated convertible tops? Mine is rough around the edges (literally). I think the previous owner removed and reinstalled it when the car was re-painted ~10 years ago because it looks a little "off" compared to some of the other ones I've seen. Can you still order the material for the top? It looks like the same material most convertibles have. The fiberglass shell underneath seems to be in pretty good shape.

Comment

And of course, no post is complete without pictures

Name:	IMG_3849.jpeg
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	1286030 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0014.JPEG
Size:	648.6 KB
ID:	1286031 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0329.jpeg
Size:	1,007.5 KB
ID:	1286032 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0324.jpeg
Size:	761.1 KB
ID:	1286033

Comment

If you’re wanting to recover the roof, maybe something like a marine grade vinyl would not be a bad option. The only challenge is if you plan to do it yourself or have a shop do it for you.

My Cars:
                                -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                                -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                                -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                                -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Working...
                                X