PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: My '89 Lincoln Town Car

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

I think I'd do cloth rather than vinyl. It would look more proper. Anyplace that does marine canvas should be able to supply the material and likely they can do the edging and all that. The actual installation, dunno.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Presidential Ride L1011tristar17's Avatar

I'll probably end up going with canvas as opposed to vinyl. I took it to an upholstery place years ago for a quote. The guy working there said the fiberglass shell was fastened and glued to the roof so it would require dropping the headliner and using a long prybar. I think the quote was $1200 to do it all.

I see a lot of cars driving around with the fake convertible tops, so you would think there would be some sort of aftermarket out there. I thought about fixing the edges in the short term with something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Besteek-Prote...dp/B06ZZDF85V/

1989 Lincoln Town Car 249k miles, current project car
    2018 Toyota Tacoma bone stock, daily driver

He's right on how its attached. Big blobs of the same adhesive used to glue windshields in.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Please tell me the way Ford attached the other roofs from the factory was at least marginally better than how ASC did those awful carriage tops..
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

The ones under the half vinyl? Not honestly sure. I think those also glue on but it might be a little better of a job than the globs of windshield schmoo.

New fuel pump went in today. I got the pump by itself instead of the whole assembly, but it came with a replacement rubber hose and o-ring. I also got a new strainer.

The tank was not too difficult to get out. I used my floor jack to lower it down although I had to lift the car a few more inches to get enough clearance. Good thing I still had the bumper jack!

I had to put different connectors for the new pump. I had a hard time figuring out how to put the strainer on. No instructions on the box and my shop manual didn't say anything. The old pump strainer was sitting in the bottom of the tank, which might explain why it wasn't working great! The old pump was a Bosch.

Getting the tank back was definitely the worst part! The straps were all bent up and I had a hard time getting them straight enough to reach the studs. Eventually it worked out and the car seems to idle a lot better than it used to. Next up is new tires!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1771.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	108.5 KB 
ID:	53013 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1775.jpg 
Size:	126.2 KB 
ID:	53014 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1780.jpg 
Size:	154.9 KB 
ID:	53015

The factory pumps were Bosch, quite probably thats what you took out.

That would explain it then! 249,000 was a good run.

yeah electric fuel pumps last a decently long time, especially on vehicles that actually get used. Sitting seems to be what kills them.

Quote Originally Posted by L1011tristar17 View Post
    That would explain it then! 249,000 was a good run.
    And 30 years!

I'd bet my house that whatever you installed won't return the same run.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

I post a lot... knucklehead0202's Avatar

Goddamn i'd say you got your money's worth.

Fuel pump on my 93 lasted about 230K IIRC. My Expedition only got 130K out of it's fuel pump.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Just passed another state inspection. The person who inspected it told me that the NC laws recently changed and my car won't need anymore safety inspections since it is now 30 years old. I'll have to look into that even though the inspection is only $13.

On another note, the misfire is back. It's not near as bad as it was with the old fuel pump. It happens intermittently after the car has warmed up and is idling at a stop. The car actually seemed to run better the longer I drove it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1992.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	184.9 KB 
ID:	53069
    Last edited by L1011tristar17; 11-17-2019 at 09:15 PM.

Not sure why the picture is upside down. Guess it's my fault for using Australian Siri

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910