My '89 Lincoln Town Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by L1011tristar17 View Post
    I've been browsing craigslist to see if my stuff would show up there. Not like I want it back or anything, but agreeing to meet up with the seller/thief and watching them run away upon seeing my car (which I'm sure they would recognize) is satisfaction enough for me.
    If "he, she or they" have a violent propensity it is also a good way to get shot since now they know you are on to them!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

That's a cell phone antenna on your rear window. Back in the day, one needed those to get good reception when travelling out of your ''area''. Ancient technology now...

Comment

I always thought it was a CB antenna (there isn't a CB unit in the car though) but I guess it could work for a carphone too! I always wondered if it would work with this radio scanner I have.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
        2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
        2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

Originally posted by L1011tristar17 View Post
          I may go there again...
          '79 Continental Town Car
          '90 Crown Victoria LTD
          '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
            Hey now, I don't have all the tools/experience to work on cars by myself! And the only thing I'd go back for is a state inspection. But other than that I'll be doing my own oil changes and brake jobs from now on. I still have a lot to learn for working on cars and sometimes I like the peace of mind of having someone know what they're doing.

On second thought, I'll go find that shop manual of mine. I like having my stuff not get stolen.

Comment

Awesome car man, but definitely go somewhere else lol

Comment

Originally posted by gabegt90 View Post
                nice townie
                Whaaaa..you had to post a picture of where I use to work..sorry but ^$&^%* Ford for closing us down.

Comment

I've had about 500 trouble-free miles so far with the new alternator in and the drain fixed. I'll go knock on wood now, because everything on my car seems to work just fine. Except two of the power locks. And the power antenna. And the washer fluid jets. I'm trying not to let the little things bother me.

Comment

Today I got lucky and found an undamaged collar for the shift indicator cable (junkyard find, they let me have it for free.) I got it off the column, but I had a bit of trouble pulling out the dash cluster. At this point my hands were bleeding and I said screw it and cut the cable. That made for one hell of a time fitting the other cable back in the new collar without damaging either. It took a solid hour but I finally got the new cable/collar in nice and secure. For some reason, the indicator is still a little bit off when put in Overdrive and Reverse. There is a lot of up and down play with the shifter in those two positions, but that may be because of something else. I'm still keeping my eye out for a NOS cable from a dealership/ebay if the price is right.

Comment

So far the Lincoln has been doing surprisingly well. It has traveled the 340 mile round trip from Charlotte to Blacksburg multiple times this past month without incident. Last weekend I also changed the oil last weekend (first time I have done an oil change by myself) and I was pleasantly surprised that the shop hadn't impacted anything in. There are a few things however that are beginning to bother me. The defroster seems very weak/nonexistent which makes it scary to drive in the rain. No air seems to come out of those vents so it may be a resistor? Rest of the blower functions work fine. The front brakes also feel pretty warped in the front so I'm going to check those out this week. There is also a scraping sound that comes from the back that only happens if people are in the back seat and I go over a moderate-sized bump. Springs look fine and I thought it was the tire rubbing against the inner fender, but I may be wrong.

I'm beginning to come up with a list of upgrades for this summer:

-Newer Ford Starter conversion (once the original one decides to quit)
                      -Rear disc conversion
                      -Swapping out some of the dented chrome rocker trim with some fresh junkyard pieces that I have
                      -Fixing some of the wonky blower motor wiring (I may do this sooner rather than later)
                      -Headliner repair, provided that it isn't too expensive. The headliner sags a bit but doesn't look that horrible

I am also intent on doing a big brake conversion at some point in the future. I will probably hold off on getting the new wheels until I need new tires as well. My parents aren't really sold on the idea of me buying different wheels if the ones I have now are fine. Plus we agreed that I would cover 40% of my tuition plus books, groceries, car costs, and phone data. At least my on-housing will be free since I will be an RA next year. There is an 83 Town Car in the junkyard that has a nice set of full turbines in good shape with center caps. I might snag those if they're for a good price.

Comment

Don't get the Turbines if you are planning a BB swap. You need 16" or bigger.

The air to the defroster is probably an issue with the blend door. If you get full air pressure on other settings (vent, floor) and have all blower speeds the blower resistor is fine.
                        2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                        2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                        Past Panthers
                        1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                        if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

I'd fix the "functional" parts before I went for the wheels. They are "nice to have's" and can always be done later on. Brakes, defrosters, etc...should come first. Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Yeah the new wheels will definitely have to wait. I don't know which ones I would want and I also don't have any of the parts needed for the big brake swap. Luckily the engine and transmission are in good health and the suspension seems to be fine as well. As far as the blower is concerned the different fan speeds work fine. How involved is the blend door repair?

Comment

I wouldn't get the turbines for the big brake swap. Since the swap may not happen until I am finished with college (3-4 years) and the current wheels I have are in less than stellar shape (peeling clearcoat, chipped and bent centercaps) I may grab the turbines at the yard if the price is good. The ones at the yard are the true turbines and I always liked those better anyways. Plus the center caps on those are in near-perfect shape.

Brakes are definitely getting done this week. My friend is much better at brake work and he's going to help me out. He needs to borrow my jack and stands anyways so I'm planning on helping him work on finding this weird clunking noise from the front end of his e30.

Comment

So I checked the front rotors today and they are definitely warped. Unfortunately I checked the prices for the replacements and I won't have the money for them until May. I guess I can live with the rotors for now, seeing that I don't drive all that much and the brake pads still have plenty of meat on them.

When I was checking the front wheels I saw this lovely gem helping hold the wheel on. Gotta love the laziness, I mean ingenuity of some shops

Click image for larger version

Name:	6nGSvKv.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	1272042 Click image for larger version

Name:	8HZXlP1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	1272043

On a brighter note, I got my application accepted for my summer internship! I will be interning at a local architecture firm for the summer and I am definitely looking forward to it. They work on a lot of bigger scale projects like schools and community buildings, which is what I want to do once I'm out of college.
                                Last edited by L1011tristar17; 04-09-2013, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X