PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My '89 Lincoln Town Car

I post a lot...

Don't get the Turbines if you are planning a BB swap. You need 16" or bigger.

The air to the defroster is probably an issue with the blend door. If you get full air pressure on other settings (vent, floor) and have all blower speeds the blower resistor is fine.
    2017 Buick Enclave 3.6 (Burgundy/Beige)
    2019 Volvo S60 Inscription (Crystal White / Blond)
    Past Panthers
    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Quote Originally Posted by Lincolnmania View Post
    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Proud Owner Of A 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis! miamibob's Avatar

I'd fix the "functional" parts before I went for the wheels. They are "nice to have's" and can always be done later on. Brakes, defrosters, etc...should come first. Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Presidential Ride L1011tristar17's Avatar

Yeah the new wheels will definitely have to wait. I don't know which ones I would want and I also don't have any of the parts needed for the big brake swap. Luckily the engine and transmission are in good health and the suspension seems to be fine as well. As far as the blower is concerned the different fan speeds work fine. How involved is the blend door repair?

1989 Lincoln Town Car 249k miles, current project car
    2018 Toyota Tacoma bone stock, daily driver

I wouldn't get the turbines for the big brake swap. Since the swap may not happen until I am finished with college (3-4 years) and the current wheels I have are in less than stellar shape (peeling clearcoat, chipped and bent centercaps) I may grab the turbines at the yard if the price is good. The ones at the yard are the true turbines and I always liked those better anyways. Plus the center caps on those are in near-perfect shape.

Brakes are definitely getting done this week. My friend is much better at brake work and he's going to help me out. He needs to borrow my jack and stands anyways so I'm planning on helping him work on finding this weird clunking noise from the front end of his e30.

So I checked the front rotors today and they are definitely warped. Unfortunately I checked the prices for the replacements and I won't have the money for them until May. I guess I can live with the rotors for now, seeing that I don't drive all that much and the brake pads still have plenty of meat on them.

When I was checking the front wheels I saw this lovely gem helping hold the wheel on. Gotta love the laziness, I mean ingenuity of some shops

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6nGSvKv.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	35541 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8HZXlP1.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	35542

On a brighter note, I got my application accepted for my summer internship! I will be interning at a local architecture firm for the summer and I am definitely looking forward to it. They work on a lot of bigger scale projects like schools and community buildings, which is what I want to do once I'm out of college.
    Last edited by L1011tristar17; 04-09-2013 at 11:37 PM.

fomoco panthers !

Is it a paid internship ?

Yeah it will be paid. 30 hours a week at $10 an hour sounds like a fair deal to me! It's something I enjoy doing and I can definitely see myself working there after college. Since it's only 30 hours a week I'll also be working at my other job at Firehouse Subs. I'm a shift leader there and my boss is pretty flexible with scheduling.

Took it for a drive today for the first time in about a week. I noticed that whenever I depress the gas pedal, the CEL comes on and the engine hesitates, as if it tries to die. I still don't know if this is the same Code 34 I got, but the problem goes away after 2-3 minutes. Unfortunately I won't be able to really tear into it until I am finished with my finals. Hopefully it will make the 170 mile drive back from Charlotte and I can just drive the van until I have the time and money to fix that and the front brakes.

Working on a little problem with the defroster not working. Hopefully it's a little part I can grab at a salvage yard, although lately the local yard won't let me buy anything anymore (like a little spring or switch) without having me buy the whole $100 steering column.

I drove it to Roanoke and back to go to a car show. Lots of awesome cars there! The drive was much more pleasant now that I have working cruise control. No major mechanical issues to report although I think the motor is beginning to show it's mileage. I don't know if it's the timing or ac compressor, but the motor sounds a little bit like a diesel at idle. In case the motor decides to quit, I'll try and tackle as much of the rebuild as I can with the money I have already saved up just in case.

Sway bar bushings are frigged, at least on the driver's side. Time to order a pair of new ones. I also noticed that a bit of insulation is touching the heat shield on the exhaust. I don't know what it's for, so should I worry about removing it?

Name:	IMG_20130701_210157_970.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	36524

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

sound deadning for the car. I'd cut away the stuff thats laying on the converter and leave the rest be.

The diesel at idle thing is just a high mileage lopo. If it still makes oil pressure most of the time, ignore it.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Over the last few days I replaced the sagging headliner. It was falling down in the back and starting to in the front, so I wrestled the board out of the car without (miraculously) breaking anything. The end product looks nice, except for a small crease in the fabric behind the dome light that was my fault. I also managed to knock off the rearview mirror installing the new board. That's the way she goes boys.

The new blower motor also came in today. Said it was for a -98 or later Crown Vic, but it fit right in. It also came with two wiring adapters. The fan now blows nice and fast, although I'll still do the relay upgrade when I have the time.

Beautiful car you have there. Do a youtube search for the CNN report on the old man who has over 1,300,000 miles on his Towncar.

I doubt if I will ever part with my '84, highly unlikely that a car will ever be made like that again.

fomoco panthers !

Good going on the headliner.

Here's a pic of the new headliner (it's dark, so it doesn't show much)

Name:	IMG_20130710_191459_693.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	36668Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130711_194112_100.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	36669

Quote Originally Posted by Louis View Post
    Beautiful car you have there. Do a youtube search for the CNN report on the old man who has over 1,300,000 miles on his Towncar.

I doubt if I will ever part with my '84, highly unlikely that a car will ever be made like that again.
    I did watch that! I also went on some car review website (don't remember the name) and a few guys there had Town Cars with over 400k miles on them. I plan on keeping mine for a while since everything works fine. No rust either, which is also great.

In the process of changing the transmission fluid on the Lincoln. I found that the local Ford dealer still sells 5-quart containers of Mercon V for $30, but in the end it is cheaper at Walmart or Autozone with the individual quarts. I also got the blower motor working again and fixed a little bit of the wiring. I have all the parts for the blower relay upgrade but since the new motor blows nice and strong I might do it later. I'm driving back to Charlotte next Sunday so I want to make sure it's definitely roadworthy.

Looks like I'll be dropping the pan again. I opened the box for the new filter and found the little gasket that's supposed to go into the filter. I had driven my car for a little bit without one of the gaskets and it seemed normal to me, but I'm going to go ahead and park it until I drop the pan again and add the gasket.

Update on the Lincoln:

-Just rolled over 238,000 last week so it is in need of an oil change.
    -I still need to change those u-joints. I haven't yet because I mostly drive across or through campus and rarely go above 35.
    -Rear shocks need to be replaced. They're fine for now, but there is heavy scraping sounds whenever people are sitting in the back seat as well as overall ride quality issues.
    -I'm not sure if the transmission is slipping, but sometimes in first gear whenever I apply throttle the car revs up as if it was in neutral and then lurches forward. This only happens on occasion but more often than it used to.
    -CEL is back on whenever I apply more than 50% throttle, along with the engine hesitating and not responding quickly.

I hope to get most (or all) of these issues taken care of this upcoming weekend. As much as I love this car, I'm trying to be mindful of what's worth fixing on a car with this many miles.

Another update:

Just rolled over 239,000 earlier last week on a trip down to South Carolina. The ride there and back was smooth for the most part, but I did hear some knocking from the engine that concerned me a bit. Under normal acceleration from a stoplight, the knocking starts once the vehicle shifts to third gear and goes away if you let off the pedal. If this becomes a more serious issue, I may rebuild/swap the engine this summer.

I've had all four of the "new" shocks ready to go in, but one of the crap-tastic Autozone locking lug nuts stripped out on me. Pretty frustrating since I left my spare lug nuts and hammer back home. I don't drive my car that much anyways, so it can wait. I'm trying to decide what I'm going to be doing with this car and what my long-term plans for it are.

I also installed a new TPS, which helped the idling issues out tremendously.

That thing is MINTY fresh. The guys here are right, a litthe rattle at idle on a high millage lopo is normal. I think the came from the factory like that. A knock though, I'd at least want to know where that is coming from. If it is termnal, an HO swap might be in order.
    1991 LTD P72 351 W Restored Century Police (Ongoing Project) Sergeant Vic.

It's a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast