No announcement yet.

My '89 Lincoln Town Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About to pick the car up from the shop. I took it there since I thought the freon was gone and the aircon was blowing hot air. Turned out to be a wire on the low pressure switch which is $35. Much better than the failed compressor on the '07 CR-V which will cost around $1,350 to replace.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
    2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
    2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

simple fixes... we like simple fixes

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Been down that road before, except I took the wrong fork. Thought the whole thing had shit out, rebuilt it all, only to find the real problem was a broken connection at the switch.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

On the way to church today, one of the EGR coolant lines starting leaking at the throttle body and creating a smoke show. I limped it over to the autoparts store but I didn't have my tools with me. I had to borrow a screwdriver and a wrench from the store to get the old hose off and I had a hell of a time trying to wrestle the new hose on. I ended up losing the wrench I borrowed to the depths of the engine bay, but what the store doesn't know won't learn em.

I got both lines replaced pretty quickly once I had my own tools to use. The old line was vacuum tubing, which at the time my friend thought was okay to use for coolant. It held up for over a year, but I guess it couldn't stand the pressure of the cooling system. The new lines I bought are much beefier.

Comment

I finally replaced the broken spring in the column shifter. No more floppy shifter. I took some pics along the way to make a how to. It took a lot longer than I thought trying to compress the new spring into place. I might post the pictures tomorrow if anyone is interested. I removed the ones from the junkyard car using a completely different method since I didn't have the keys to that car.

Comment

Old spring and new. I'd say it's an improvement.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140521_172129_968.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	1274356

As an added bonus, the gear indicator now also lines up correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by L1011tristar17 View Post
                I finally replaced the broken spring in the column shifter. No more floppy shifter. I took some pics along the way to make a how to. It took a lot longer than I thought trying to compress the new spring into place. I might post the pictures tomorrow if anyone is interested. I removed the ones from the junkyard car using a completely different method since I didn't have the keys to that car.
                Post away as "someday" I need to do mine!! Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Did some more work to the Lincoln today. The driver's side valve cover gasket had been leaking and I figured it was time for some rubber felpro gaskets.

The other day I also got to meet up with the person I originally bought my car from. It was his first car as a teenager and he had done a ton of work on it. He was surprised that I still kept the car after four years! He thought I would have gotten rid of it already. He also brought his '97 Town Car. I let him drive the '89 and I got to drive the '97. I had never driven or even been in a newer Town Car, and I thought it was a fantastic car to drive.\

We also got some photos of the cars side-by-side before security came and told us to leave the parking lot (the community college was closed on memorial day)
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140526_114845_555.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	1274367 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140526_114731_304.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	1274368 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140526_114432_844.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	1274369 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140526_114414_391.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	1274370

Comment

Boxes look better!
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

^^^^^^Yup yup^^^^^^

Comment

Yes, but that's still a nice looking Aero.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
                        2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                        2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                        Past Panthers
                        1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                        if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Your TC looks great. Much nicer than the newer TC.

Comment

Thanks! I really like the styling of mine more, but the aero was in better condition!

Just got the car inspected for another year. They also noticed a leak coming from the steering box that would blow back onto the exhaust while I was driving and cause smoke. It was up on the lift and I could see it steadily drip out. Oddly enough I haven't had to add any fluid in months and the level looked okay last time I checked. I had them order a reman gearbox since I didn't want to chance it at a junkyard. They'll be installing it tomorrow.

Comment

Got the car back from the shop after they replaced the leaking steering box. No leaks from this one, although one of the hoses came loose and I had to tighten it. I decided that later this summer it would be a good idea to replace the oil pan gasket, and while it's out have them replace other things like the rear main seal, timing cover gasket, and freeze plugs, so that way I don't have to pull the engine again to do those things.

Comment

You don't have to pull the engine to do the pan gasket. It does need to be jacked up off the motor mounts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
                                2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                                2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                                Past Panthers
                                1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                                if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Working...
                                X