No announcement yet.

My '89 Lincoln Town Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's good to know! My mechanic thought it would be possible to do it that way, but I had no idea!

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
    2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
    2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

After I get paid I will try and have some work done to my engine. Last time when they put my car up on a lift I could see the oil pan gasket sticking out of the oil pan. Surprisingly it wasn't leaking terribly compared to the steering box, which has now been replaced. Some bolts were missing from the oil pan, which will have to be addressed. In addition to this, I'm planning on having the timing cover gasket replaced. A lot of stuff has to come off to get to the timing cover, so I'll have them check the harmonic balancer and timing chain and see if those need replacing too. Same with the water pump. I can also get the '90 TC fan shroud installed which has been sitting in my garage for the last six months.

Comment

Future Plans

I've got some big future plans for my car. A lot of these upgrades will probably happen gradually as parts wear out, but this is how I would like my car to look in the end.

DRIVETRAIN:
        -5.0 HO Motor
        -Rebuilt AOD w/ shift kit
        -Aero Panther rear end w/ disc brakes (3.27 or 3.55 gears)
        -New universal joints
        -Lincoln Mark VII engine computer
        -Aero TC airbox

BRAKES/SUSPENSION:
        -Big Brake Upgrade
        -Rear Disc Brakes
        -New Prop Valve
        -New brake lines
        -16" Lincoln rims (LSC turbines or '95-'97 Cartier wheels)
        -Rear sway bar
        -Trailer hitch
        -replacement of any other worn out suspension items
        -Body mount bushings
        -Shocks and springs all around

COOLING/HVAC:
        -'90 Town Car fan shroud and overflow bottle (I already have this)
        -All new hoses and clamps
        -New coolant temp sensors
        -Blower motor relay upgrade (also have the parts for this)
        -Fix vacuum leaks
        -Fixing broken plenum doors (when the dash is already out)

EXTERIOR:
        -Replace carriage roof
        -Repaint (silver)
        -Remove and replace dented trim (also have new parts)
        -Eliminate rust on the underside of the trunk lid

INTERIOR:
        -Fix where I messed up the headliner
        -New dome light
        -Sound deadening material under carpet
        -Steam clean carpet and fix hole by driver's door
        -Possibly upgrade instrument cluster to LEDs

ELECTRICAL:
        -Add lock actuator and bracket to driver's door
        -Replace lock actuator on driver's side rear door
        -Headlight relay upgrade

That's the (not so short) list for now. Most of these repairs are a couple years out. The drivetrain might be the first area that gets attention. Brakes would be next, followed by the cooling system, and then the suspension. Aesthetic things will go last.

Comment

Vibrations at 45-65mph (again)

Car is vibrating starting at speeds 45mph or higher. It doesn't seem to be RPM related and I can't feel it through the steering wheel at all, so I doubt it's anything on the front end. Tires look fine to me and the wheel weights are all there. Tires were rotated and balanced a few months ago. The car doesn't make any funny sounds.

I was thinking of having the u-joints replaced soon along with a differential fluid change (P.O. doesn't remember ever changing it). With the cover off and fluid off, would it make sense to have the rear wheel bearings replaced too?

Comment

Yes it would if the bearings are bad. Driveshafts get pulled if you're doing wheel bearings.
            -Nick M.
            Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
            03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Thing is I can't tell if the bearings are bad or not. I don't hear any noise from back there to indicate they need replacing.

Comment

you generally don't hear anything until they are well and truly FUBAR.

After rebuilding the rear axle of the 88 twice and the Mark 1.5 times... yeah... I really know this one well.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Do you think it would be worth getting those done while they are changing the differential fluid?

Comment

I def would. I mean you're already there. I am in the same boat, and it doesn't look that hard to do
                    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
                    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
                    -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Get yourself a decent slide hammer and a bearing remover kit (I don't know the name, they have pivoting steel feet to get behind the bearing). It takes a bit of persuasion to get them out. Once you have done that, get a bearing and seal driver kit and pound the new bearing (packed with grease) and race into place. Then the seal goes in in front of the bearing. Use some gray rtv to seal it up and you're a good to go. It's just laborious and stinky work.

Packman

Comment

^^ Good info. I did the fronts a year ago and they weren't too bad. I will probably have a shop do these because of my work schedule and I would hate to mess something up right before I need the car to go back to college. I read the Lincolnsonline tech article about it and it didn't seem to be too bad.

Comment

Just got off the phone with my mechanic. He said he could do the u-joints for $140 and change the rear diff. fluid for $40. I could probably do both of those myself, but I want it done right. I can't imagine a tire needing balanced since I had all four of them balanced and rotated less than a year ago.

The throttle cable may need replacing too. There's quite a bit more resistance from 0-10% throttle (like when driving at 15mph) but it doesn't really stick or have issues returning to idle. I'm guessing it's damaged from when the last shop tried to remove the upper plenum without disconnecting the cables.

Comment

If the tires haven't been balanced in a year or 5000 miles, I'd check them anyhow. Need to do a balance and rotate on my 88 soon.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            Originally posted by gadget73
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I've had lumps develop in tires before when the belts shifted. It feels odd indeed, and not like anything specific if it happens to be a rear tire. It just shakes and does funky stuff.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'll have the mechanic check that stuff when it's on the lift. The tires aren't too old so hopefully I don't have to replace them again!

Comment

Working...
                                X