1991 GM Only Driving One Rear Wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1991 GM Only Driving One Rear Wheel

First , Thanks for all the usefull information I have gathered on this site.
    Already Replaced TV Grommet and PVC Grommet which were both missing/worn.
    After getting stuck in some mud , we discovered this car only spins the passenger side , rear wheel .
    Is something broken in the rear end ? Or were some of these cars built without
    Posi , or limited slip ?
    Winter is fast approaching and this vehicle is my son's only transportation to his daily college classes .
    Thanks for your help .

the trac-lok(fords posi) was optional. you more than likly have a standard open diff or worst case, you have a trac lok rear but, the clutches are badly worn out? if you wish to install a trac lok unit, there are many threads on here to help you out. its one of more popular upgrades for our cars.

oh and if your wondering what you have, look at the vin code tag on the driver door. there should be a slot labled AX(axle code). you either have a number or letter. this is your rear gear ratio. if its a number, its an open diff. if its a letter, the diff should have a trac lok carrier. someone on here has a axle code decoding chart.
    Last edited by marquisman; 11-04-2012, 04:33 PM.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Axle Codes

2.73 open: 8
      2.73 limited slip: M
      3.08 open: Y
      3.08 limited slip: Z
      3.27 open: 5
      3.27 limited slip: E
      3.55 open: 2
      3.55 limited slip: K
      2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

Comment

yep, its either a standard non-limited slip rear, or the traction lock unit is completely worn out and needs a rebuild. Most likely its an open rear but my own traction lock car did the one wheel spin on ice thing because the clutches were just wiped out in the traction lock unit. Its fairly easy to rebuild or install the limited slip unit though. Basically you pull the open carrier out and swap the traction lock unit in.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The limited slip/trac loc part is the same from mid 80's in any 8.8 rear with 28 spline axles.
          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Found The Code for the axle

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
            the trac-lok(fords posi) was optional. you more than likly have a standard open diff or worst case, you have a trac lok rear but, the clutches are badly worn out? if you wish to install a trac lok unit, there are many threads on here to help you out. its one of more popular upgrades for our cars.

oh and if your wondering what you have, look at the vin code tag on the driver door. there should be a slot labled AX(axle code). you either have a number or letter. this is your rear gear ratio. if its a number, its an open diff. if its a letter, the diff should have a trac lok carrier. someone on here has a axle code decoding chart.
            The axle code is the number 8 . 2.73 Open Rear End .
            Can we install Trac-Lok in existing rear end , or should I go shopping for a used code M , 2.73 Limited Slip axle ?

Comment

you can install a trac-loc in your current rear

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

you'll need the trak-lok carrier (atdr.net has it - 28 spline). I think code M is a rare option, but if you can find one in good shape... it might be worth your while. I'd just get the new carrier and swap the ring gear over and shim as needed to get it realigned. But I would also let the trans shop that I use do the job since I know those guys and they do good work.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I think adtr is about $225 for a whole new unit. If you have access to a u-pull type yard or any old car yard you can probably get one used for much less. If that is the way you want to go you should look up mustangs and crown vics grand marquis and town cars and find what year they switched from 28 spline axles to 31.
                  03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                  02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                  08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                  12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

03. Axles are way different in length.
                    1989 Grand Marquis LS
                    flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

If you have the diff apart consider new ring and pinion, like a K code from the junkyard would be a vast improvement. If the car see's more highway than city streets then you can stick with the 2.73's but 3.55's get the car moving a lot easier, my Town car pulls better off the line than my old Vic, 3.08 vs 2.73 and the lower gears gets better mileage since you don't have to put your foot to the floor to go up hills and such.
                      88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                      Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Working...
                      X