Building my own '89 2-door...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building my own '89 2-door...

I just picked up an '89 CV LX for dirt cheap and will be using it for it's pristine unmolested dash, hood, front clip and bumper, rear lights/light buckets, trunk and bumper...as well as other numerous little parts and pieces. These parts will be going on my '85 2-door CV that I just finished the 351w/T5/EZ-EFI swap on. Everything up front should be a fairly direct bolt on, but the back is where the fun happens...both cars have been hit in the rear...my '85 was piss-poorly fixed and the '89 was definitely fixed by a top notch shop. I have already drilled out the spot welds on the driver side(donor car) piece that ties together the rear of the quarter and the back of the upright trunk part thingy(where light/light bucket mount). I have to get the other side of now...before I start hacking into my daily driver, I'll need to pick up some decent seam sealer(suggestions?) and some paint...don't know whether to get my crappy poo-brown paint matched so I can get the donor parts close...or...if I should just get some generic black because EVENTUALLY, I'd like to paint the whole thing black after a slick-top conversion...I'll get pics up sometime though the week.

Anybody been here and done this? I'm really hoping the answer is no...I want to be the first! lol

-Don
    '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

It has been done with the front clip numerous times, the rear I am not sure. Black paint is boring....I like brown as not everyone and their mother has it.

I am still looking forward to seeing this though.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

No! Not the fender hugging bumpers! Good luck with swapping the rear panels! Looking forward to see your progress...

Comment

Yeah, I might keep it brown...IDK yet...gonna be hard to match the crap paint on it now, but the whole car will get repainted eventually so if I stumble upon something I like, I'll know what to get more off...also been thinking of a gunmetal grey metallic. I went through 3 Blue-Point spot weld cutters with 100+ spot welds cut...oh well, Snap-On man comes Friday and I'm in no rush...I'm figuring on install sometime after Christmas.....if there was an '89 CV in Death Race, I'm assuming this is what it would look like after "dropping the tombstone"...lol. (minus the sweet class III receiver) I'm about to rob the trunk of all salvagable parts, carpet, etc...car has to be stored outside...spray some rustoleum on the bare metal surfaces and store all good parts in the back seat.

Good times..
        -Don
        '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

Ugh! Don't ruin a good 2-door with those 88+ granny panels.

The 87- look so much better on these cars.

Comment

I've been waiting to see someone do a complete aerobox tudor! Rounded corners are sexy!

sigpic
            - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

i beg to differ i like the pointy ends and sticking out bumpers. with the exception to my town car i love it.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
              -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
              1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

cogs did a aero box vic coupe a long time ago. i admit, its different yet, it looks weird

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

I think the '88-91's were the best body style ever...and if I have to replace a twisted, bent up radiator core support, I'm going to use later model parts...and match the front to the rear...the '88-'91 is no more of a "granny" car then the earlier models so I'm not sure where that arguement comes from...lol. Since day one I've wanted to do this and I've got my chance finally! I will eventually do a slick top conversion, some mildly flared fenders and big fat tires on all 4 corners...I want it to have a little road-racey look to it...not like a relative passed away and I'm just driving whats left of the estate....it's kinda bad...no car anywhere would make me happy in stone stock trim...not in looks, power, handling...I always want more!....greedy bastard! lol

Comment

I don't mind teh smoothness of the 88's+. I would love to have another two door and do the same thing you are doing to be quite honest.
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

+1 roundy box coupe!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                        No! Not the fender hugging bumpers! Good luck with swapping the rear panels! Looking forward to see your progress...
                        Originally posted by LTDMan83 View Post
                        Ugh! Don't ruin a good 2-door with those 88+ granny panels.

The 87- look so much better on these cars.
                        Originally posted by MattsTownCarSS View Post
                        i beg to differ i like the pointy ends and sticking out bumpers. with the exception to my town car i love it.

You know it's bad when even I agree with Matt. 79-87 FTW!
                        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

You hate me for some odd reason ?. I would like to know just curious

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
                          -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
                          1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

I approve of this thread.
                            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                              I like brown as not everyone and their mother has it.
                              Brown FTW
                              '79 Continental Town Car
                              '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                              '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Working...
                              X