Building my own '89 2-door...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
    I kinda like it with the bigger bumper...maybe narrow it a half inch to tuck a bit better but overall looks good. My main problem with aeroboxes visually is the molded in bumpers.

Stupid question: what would be involved in an 88-91 cv rear end recieving a -87 bumper?

yea, the wrap around bumpers give the wide look, especially with wide tires. i remember seeing a box marquis, with aero box tail lights on here. looked so much better.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

yeah, the crown vic especially looks better in the rear in the aerobox years. The sloped rear and sort of sad looking tail lights are my least favourite feature of my vic. If that's all it'd take to get a compromise... I'm guessing the front would be more difficult though.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Man I'm the exact opposite. I love the 79-87 rear.
        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

As far as paint, in 1982 the Mercury Gm was offered in a two tone pewter. To accent it there was striping that was three tone (two shades of red and silver). If you can find a sales brochure, It has it featured. Looked sharp. I might have some of the striping.
          If you like brown, a rootbeer and cream combo would look good.

Comment

It looks okay with the big bumpers...but I LOVE the molded in bumpers, I think it looks so much more modern...and they're a lot lighter too...aluminum inner support on the rear and aluminum inner and outter on the front. Kinda disappointed that some else has already done it...if I could work faster on my daily driver, I would! lol

87gtVic...the plan with that hitch is for you to drive down and get it! lol...I'll have no use for the hitch and I really don't want to pull it and ship it.

-Don
            '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

any progress....?????

Comment

Absolutely zero progress...money has been tight...got an Eaton M90 that has to be mocked up for my 5.0 ranger build and just got an '02 honda 400ex that's in need of tires and a top end....I'm thinking I may try to get the ranger up and running first so I have something to drive if I run into any issues that take the project longer than a weekend. As soon as something starts happening I'll bring this thread back from the dead...lol

Thanks,
                Don
                '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

ya...im in the same boat.....wont be starting on mine till spring

Comment

Yeah, I was also waiting on the body mount spacers, which I just found out is a "go"...I haven't had a lot of time to check up on things here, need to get a few debts paid down so I can start to focus again on getting things done.

Comment

Working...
                    X