Building my own '89 2-door...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brown works for me!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

i like the idea......i would like to do the same thing with a lincoln mark VI coupe.........make it look like a 86 town coupe of my own creation........but i have way too many cars already.......willing to trade a good running 92 grand marquis with a 5.0 HO conversion for a mark6 coupe tho lol

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I was actually gonnA make a town car into a mark vi but the mark vi trunk lid will not fit the 89 which screws up the idea.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
        -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
        1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

In that case I'd say throw the 88-91 Grand Marquis F/R Fascia on your CV 2-door then.

Create the first Ford Grand Marquis 2-door!

Mexico would be proud!

Comment

Originally posted by LTDMan83 View Post

Mexico would be proud!
            And Regis
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
              i like the idea......i would like to do the same thing with a lincoln mark VI coupe.........make it look like a 86 town coupe of my own creation........but i have way too many cars already.......willing to trade a good running 92 grand marquis with a 5.0 HO conversion for a mark6 coupe tho lol
              give up a mark VI header panel for a town car header? madness!!!

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
              1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
              1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
              2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
              2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

This thread seems to be generating the interest I had hoped, it's always good when tons of people can weigh in with different ideas/opinions...gives me ideas I may not have had myself....so far, it seems brown is it...i was thinking a gunmetal grey metallic, but we'll see...if I find the right brown/goldish metallic, then I'm in for the brown....don't get me wrong, I'm not going haywire for metallic or looking for boat-flake...lol....modesty and subtlety...except the exhaust note....

On the topic of the front clips of these cars...do they have to come off as a unit? It kinda seems they were intended to...I would like to reuse my 85 fenders as they don't have the cut-outs for the curb lights(which I love, but don't fit my long-term plans) and I would like to do as little disassembly as possible...needs to be a weekend job...removed, stripped/painted, installed...friday night to sunday night. Hopefully things can get rolling a little faster with a Christmas bonus and tax money.

-Don
                '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

I'd vote for a silver color myself.

Now, a good brown can be really sharp, don't get me wrong. Just look at 87gtVIC's car. But in my opinion, silver seems more appropriate for a muscle car theme...and I'd always pictured an aerobox tudor as a fill in for a late 80s muscle car. Silver with some small striping.

Something like this, as on Seth1972's Merc...this could seem almost factory.

sigpic
                  - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

I have some root beer brown pearl hAVENT DONE ANY TEST SPRAYING WITH YET THOUGHT IT MIGHT LOOK GOOD FOR SOME ACCENTS OR A FADE JOB ON cREAMY AT SOME POINT. sorry about the caps fingers are fried from working on stuff.
                    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

MrMarquis, I've been thinking about silver too...I don't know if I would do any accent stripes or anything...I've also considered a two-tone jobber.

turbo, don't worry about the caps, I wasn't going to say anything incase you had some kind of disorder where you couldn't control the volume of your typing, lol.

No progress today...waiting for the paint to dry on my fancy new custom shifter handle...came out so nice, it could almost be mistaken for an aftermarket piece.....you can start to see my problem...I have too many little projects that I try to do all at the same time...lol.

-Don
                      -Don
                      '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Aeroboxdonor1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	1270320Click image for larger version

Name:	Aeroboxdonorleft.jpg
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	1270321Click image for larger version

Name:	Aeroboxdonorright.jpg
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	1270322Click image for larger version

Name:	AeroboxdonorpartsLR.jpg
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	1270323Click image for larger version

Name:	AeroboxdonorpartsRR.jpg
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	1270324

Here is the donor car cut up...it was pretty simple...2 pieces per side and the outter pieces(already painted black) will probably not have to be completely replaced in my '85...there is a slight difference between the outter pieces and that is the '88-'91 has a hole with a raised section for one of the taillight mounts/studs and the earlier model does not...if I can section that piece in properly on both sides without having to take the entire outter "wings" off that would be ideal as once those are off, the quarters tend to get a little floppy....the larger pieces still need to be cleaned up and a quick coat of paint applied to prevent rust during storage...I'd like to be on track to have this stuff going on the car just after Christmas/New Year. I'll have to cruise the site and the 'net and see if I can find anything on exactly how the front clip comes off so I'm not figuring it out as I go...it can't be very difficult, but again, it's a considerable undertaking for a "weekend" job.

-Don

Comment

I just removed a fender from the junkyard for my Crown Victoria. If there is any chance of the front clip coming off in one piece it would involve unbolting the rear of the fenders from the body and unbolting the radiator core support from the chassis (if that is even doable). You would then (in theory) have both fenders still attached to core support and attached to header panel all as one giant piece.

I am psyched to see how this all turns out. I wish you could work faster!

On a side note whats the plan with that hitch on the parts car?
                          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I guess it has been somewhat done before, minus the bumper.

2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I kinda like it with the bigger bumper...maybe narrow it a half inch to tuck a bit better but overall looks good. My main problem with aeroboxes visually is the molded in bumpers.

Stupid question: what would be involved in an 88-91 cv rear end recieving a -87 bumper?

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                              160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                              waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

changing out the filler panels.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                                Originally posted by dmccaig
                                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                                X