Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VicCrownVic and the 89 and 91 Grand Marquis

Hello, I'm new to the forum.

A little about my cars, my first 2 my parents referred to as mine but really they owned them when I was in high school.
    A 1987 Ford Crown Victoria and the second one was a 1988 Ford Crown Victoria station Wagon. My dad drove both after I was done with them, until they he got rid of them.

The third car was actually the first one that I owned, a 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS. Dad bought it for $200, drove it home from the East coast to Michigan and drove it for a few months before rebuilding the engine and then giving it to me as a high school graduation gift. I've already put about 110,000 miles on it since then.

I just picked up another Grand Marquis, a 1991 GS, for $500 in October 2012. The body was in much better shape than the '89, it just needed a new trans. Well the '89 had a trans with around 50,000 on it so I swapped them. The '91 had been sitting in some guys barn for the past 6 years so there were other issues that came up after I got the trans swapped, but I will consider creating a separate thread for the car itself (like others have done) at some point.

Anyway, it's been pretty cool and inspiring looking at the work that some of these guys have put into their cars. Once I get student loans paid off or move up at work I would like to put some work into mine. Hopefully in the next year or two.

And the only pics I have of my cars, they are VERY dirty, I'll get some clean ones sometime.

Click image for larger version

Name:	89&91.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	1299300Click image for larger version

Name:	91.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	1299301

Vic
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

The Dark spots on the '91 are mud from the dirt roads getting to my parents house where these pics were taken last month. I'll get some respectable pics up when I can.

Vic
    Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Welcome to GMN!!
      '79 Continental Town Car
      '90 Crown Victoria LTD
      '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Welcome to GMN!

Ain't nothing wrong with a little dirt. Mine is a daily driver and is hardly clean. They're nice looking either way!

sigpic
        - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

Welcome!
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

welcome!

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
            160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
            waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

thanks for joinin us mang!
              2010 Toyota Camry "Traveller II "
              54,xxx miles. New daily driver
              2001 Lincoln Town Car Signature "Leroy"
              rear cats deleted, 2" h pipe, dual 8" cherry bomb glasspacks
              114k miles. Sold to my coworker.
              1998 Toyota Camry "Traveller"
              Dead and sold.

Comment

Welcome to the Party!!

-ryan s.
                08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                Originally posted by pantera77
                Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

welcome to gmn mang I got family in the whitmore lake area near dextor

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                  302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                  k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Thanks for the welcome, I can't believe I labeled the '89 wrong in its pic.
                    Fixed:
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	89.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	1270339
                    Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarquis View Post
                      Ain't nothing wrong with a little dirt.
                      I guess that proves they were both being driven right before the pics were taken.
                      I've been reading up on other people's rides the past month before I joined, and I've seen some really nice looking pictures, including yours MrMarquis.
                      Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Basically just my todo list.
                        If anyone has any suggestions about the ignition key issue or the shift lever issue below those are the only things on my list that I have never had to deal with or haven't already found the answer to.

The ignition key will not turn to off position and release from the ignition, the key does turn back enough to stop the engine and kill power to everything
                        * my work around (I believe I found this or something similar in another thread)
                        - shift down to R or N
                        - try to turn key to off while shifting back to P (don't force anything too hard)
                        - if shifter will not go to P let some pressure off the key and continue to shift to P
                        - the key will usually turn to the off position and come out at this point

Shift lever on steering column moves all the way through P RNDd1 but the shift lever at the trans only moves through P RND
                        I'm pretty sure I caused this problem (yes there is a story behind this), and that this issue could be related to the ignition key issue
                        When I swapped the bad trans out and put the trans in from the 89 in the steering column shift lever moved all the way through P RNDd1 but the trans shift lever only moved through NDd1 and you could get R if you really tried. Well I think really trying to get R before realizing the trans shift lever needed to be swapped is what caused this problem to begin with.

Things that I can probably accomplish in the next 4 months:
                        - Fix the annoying issue of the key not releasing from ignition normally
                        - Fix the shift lever issue
                        - Fix the windshield washer fluid not pumping
                        New (working when pulled from the ‘89) pump motor did not fix this but the old pump was completely rusted to junk, need to check/clean wiring and connecters and test with multimeter
                        - Fix right rear window motor
                        I already fixed the left rear, maybe I can do this tomorrow after work
                        - Replace rear door lock motors
                        I already have working lock motors to swap in, just need to make time to do this
                        - Fix window switch, windows only work from driver switch
                        Hard to believe all the other switches could be bad, will swap a known working driver switch the issue may be in the window lock switch
                        - Touch up paint from previous owner's work
                        Matching touch up paint already ordered, will have to see how well it actually matches
                        - 3G conversion
                        Have read quite a bit on this, should be easy once I find cash to buy the new alternator
                        - Blue LEDs to replace interior lighting possibly cluster lighting as well
                        I know 91grandmarquis (Rob IIRC) already did this, but it just looks right with the navy blue interior and my radio already has a blue display and lighting
                        - Clear dome light cover
                        Found this in a thread earlier today

Vic
                        Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

I better not forget, the wife wants the electric seat for the passenger side swapped from the 89. Better put this at the top of the list!

This seat motor has already been in 3 different cars, it came stock in my mom's black 88 grand marquis, when that became the parts car I put it into my gray 87 crown vic, then I put it into the white 89 grand marquis. I don't think I ever had it in the 88 crown vic station wagon though.

Vic
                          Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Working...
                          X