Glove box latch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glove box latch

Is there a better way to replace the latch than just getting a junkyard piece? Something I should know about? My second one just broke on my 84 Vic

The "Help" section at the auto parts store usually has the new replacement part in black without the lock for maybe $6.00. If you wanted to use the new parts to rebuild your existing latch maybe that is possible but I have not tried it.

Comment

Ill have to look. Now if I could just get the lock out of the latch

Comment

close the box gently as you squeeze the latch in......that keeps them from breaking

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I suppose I should be more careful. Its only plastic after all

Comment

Originally posted by cars463 View Post
            Ill have to look. Now if I could just get the lock out of the latch
            You can get the lock out iirc...

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
              The "Help" section at the auto parts store usually has the new replacement part in black without the lock for maybe $6.00. If you wanted to use the new parts to rebuild your existing latch maybe that is possible but I have not tried it.
              I may have to check this out. I was recently following one on ebay..It was black and without a lock. The clasps were black as well. Even though I did not need one it interested me because of the color and uniqueness.
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

those little potmetal scissor things inside are what break. Just swap them over and you'd have a working latch with your old components.

Comment

Ohhh the Dorman glove box latches look identical. I like and must check out!
                  ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

the interior colored covers swap over too.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Yep. I currently have a black cover and quite like it. Offsets the beige nice in my opinion.
                      ~David~

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                        close the box gently as you squeeze the latch in......that keeps them from breaking
                        this x100

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                        302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                        k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

the lincoln has the same issue. anyone know how that lock comes out?
                          Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
                          Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
                          Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

The latch is held in by a slide clip. Easy to change.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                            1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                            1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                            2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                            2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by marquis_82_withneons View Post
                              the lincoln has the same issue. anyone know how that lock comes out?
                              This is how I did it as well to keep the same lock and key:
                              Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                              those little potmetal scissor things inside are what break. Just swap them over and you'd have a working latch with your old components.
                              If you really want the lock cylinder out of the latch there are two tabs on the back that hold it in place. Pry the tabs toward the outside and the lock cylinder will slide out the front.

Two pairs of needle nose pliers will work or if you can get one tab pried out of the way and put a little pressure on the back of the cylinder to keep the first tab from sliding back in you can move over and get the second tab.
                              Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                              ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                              ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Working...
                              X