grrr... emissions failure. advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks, gadget...

testing was done w/ engine not running, so it makes sense these are stored codes.

— i'm gonna assume that the spout code was thrown when i disconnected to check timing, so not worried about that.

— O2 code at least makes me feel like i have a chance at passing since i've now replaced that sensor.

— the EGR code is the one that makes me a bit nervous about the re-test, but at least if i fail again i'll have a starting point (that, and the rusted cat).

thanks for the info and the link. wish me luck friday.

P.S. "galactica" looks like a fun car from your sig.

Comment

P.s.

i guess i should ask how involved/expensive replacing the EGR sensor is?

Comment

premium is just higher octane, making it more resistant to detonation. You will do better with regular from a good quality gas supply. I will second the importance of the timing code worth investigating. Thats weird that the plugs looked lean and the code said lean... and your etesting shows rich EXHAUST. And if you were actually running lean, you would have failed NOX. Them plugs speak no lies, if they look good, your engine is pushing the correct exhaust out the ports... thats just my thinking though.

Theres allot of things that could make the engine run rich and have rich plugs, like egr or to lean reading 02 sensor... but with light tan plugs, I would bet the problem lies with them pricey little secondary HC burners in your pipes.

good luck with er, andy
        Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
        HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

G'ah!

sooooo close...

i passed the HC this time, and brought the CO down from 169 to 20.2 gpm -- but the limit is 20.0!

do you think advanced timing would be good enough for a .2 bump, or do i need to look at replacing the EGR sensor?

rats.

Comment

EGR affects NOx production, and is only open above idle speed anyway. If they aren't testing for NOx, the EGR doesn't matter any to you. Changing the sensor is 3 small nuts and an electrical plug. a great big "no big deal" item.

Change the air filter if you haven't already. Also make sure the engine is good and hot. I failed by a similarly small margin on my Mark VII, and it passed the next time through after doing that. Advancing the timing might help a bit, but don't get crazy with it. Just make sure its at least at stock, maybe bump it 1 or 2 degrees.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              Change the air filter if you haven't already. Also make sure the engine is good and hot. I failed by a similarly small margin on my Mark VII, and it passed the next time through after doing that. Advancing the timing might help a bit, but don't get crazy with it. Just make sure its at least at stock, maybe bump it 1 or 2 degrees.
              that's about where my timing is now.
              i drove about 30 min this time prior to get temp up.
              what about pulling air filter entirely just outside the entry to the test station?

Comment

update

bumped timing a couple of degrees to about 15, replaced the air cleaner and WOO HOO! passed...

third time's a charm.

thanks for the input.

Comment

Working...
                X