2006 P71 cold starting issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2006 P71 cold starting issues

My wifes vic is having some issues with starting on cold mornings say below 45* or so. You can hear the fuel pump kick on when you turn the key and the engine isn't turning over plenty fast no different then when its warm. But it takes 4 or 5 tries before it will want to fire. Once its running there is no problems for the rest of the day. Any ideas?
    1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
    2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
    sigpic

could be plastic intake manifold gaskets. I have this problem on my windstar. when it gets cold they contract and suck air when it gets hot they expand and seal. It throws 171 and 174 code when it gets cold and runs rough. in the summer the code goes away
    http://leckemby.net/windstar/windstar01.html
    WARNING: Above advise is based on actual experience or just plain common sense. In the event said advise is determined to be incorrect you are entitled to a full refund of exactly what you paid for it.lol
    85 LTD Crown Vic Coupe 302 CFI Dual Exhaust No Cats Thrush Welds
    pwr windows, locks, seat, antenna
    cruise, tilt, white on white, maroon interior

Comment

Maybe some water in the fuel line is freezing? Try putting some fuel system antifreeze in the tank.

Comment

Fuel filter. Dirty injectors. Crap battery.
        Or it just doesn't like the cold.
        My Town Car nearly dies on start up in the cold (as of recently), but I attribute that to the crap battery that's been drained several times.

-ryan s.
        08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
        03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
        97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
        94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
        73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
        12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
        Originally posted by pantera77
        Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Ok this thing is driving me nuts. Battery good, changed spark plugs, tps, cleaned throttle body. It gets fuel, air so Im thinking spark. It doesn't fire for several tries then its like a light switch got turned on and the car runs perfect. Don't know what to try next.
          1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
          2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
          sigpic

Comment

Plugs and all didn't improve it at all?

I'm guessing there's probably no codes. I guess you could check to make sure there's spark first thing on the first attempt of the day, I'm wondering if the ECM isnt allowing spark for a certain amount of time for some reason, but i'd still be suspicious of a fuel filter or something like that.
            2003 Crown Vic - Stainless Works Longtubes + 2.5" exhaust, 19" C/S Wheels, 70MM TB
            2004 Dodge Ram 2500, Yeah, It's got a Hemi
            2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab

Comment

Has this only happened in the cold? Maybe bad teeth on the flywheel to the starter.

Comment

ECM relay?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Its gotta be a spark issue. I tried a shot of starter fluid with no affect. Last night I swapped the ignition and a/c relays to see if it that would do anything. It started right up today but it also wasn't as cold out.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X