Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What mufflers sound good with the stock duals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With stock size tailpipes, any performance mufflers are going to be very mellow. Sound VOLUME is determined primarily by the diameter and length of the tailpipe - sound TONE is determined by the muffler. I had a strait pipe on the 85 for a while (with stock tailpipe) and you couldn't even hear it until you got on it, even then it was still very mellow.
    I have flowmasters on it now with stock 2" tails and they are perfect. mellow sweet sexyness with NO drone.
    Last edited by 85crownHPP; 01-14-2013, 11:46 PM.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
      Don't bother with Flowmasters or Flowmaster knockoffs IMO. They sound GREAT on a Modular Ford, but on anything else....it makes them sound like a modular Ford.

your logic is flawed lol, flowmasters came before mod motors... lol

You think this sounds like a mod motor? You crazy!

PS, this is a lopo engine. So yes, Flowmasters sound great on them too

and yes, its burning hella oil in the vid, mostly because the PCV system was unintentionally plugged at the time.

Last edited by 85crownHPP; 01-14-2013, 11:48 PM.
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Easy mang! ^^^^^^^ Not all of the members here grew up in the '80s when 5.0L Mustangs with Flows roamed the streets. The good ol' dayz

Packman

Comment

I had magnaflows on my old '88 wagon, with the 5l HO and dident really like them. Personally, I think they sound like a glasspack with out the crackle lol. The flows have more of a throaty rumble, than a raspy hot rod sound. It really just comes down to prefference.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
          1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
          1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
          2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
          2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Flows are the norm around here for any 5.0 I had original 40 series 2 chambers on my 85 grand marquis and it sounded awesome..but hanging around so many mustangs I kind of hate flows now or any chamber sound haha. But its all about preffrence I'm currentlly gathering stuff for the lincolns exhaust and I'm going with flowmaster outlaws

Comment

I agree with chitownvic, go for no mufflers. I have the stock Walker duals on my Lincoln, stock engine but pipe in place of mufflers. With the stock size pipes all the way out the tails, manifolds and all 4 cats, it's not loud by most people's standards. It has a bit of drone but it's very tolerable, and i've come to like quieter, deeper exhaust over time.

You could keep the 2.5" pipe, have a crossover welded in and run 2.5" in/out turbo mufflers (I read Summit Turbo's are Cherry Bomb Turbo's, Pantera77 has them on his car and they sound great, they're cheap) then put reducers on and run stock 2" tailpipes. That'll have a bit of rumble to it but the tails will keep the volume low and reduce drone, if there is any. That's basically how my 87 Mustang 5.0 was, had BBK headers, o/r H-pipe then reduced to 2.25" Borla Turbo's and 2.25" side exit pipes, and it wasn't loud at all.
              88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
              Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Wow, definitely some interesting points made. My brother in law had some magnaflows on his rig, and I kinda thought it sounded like a glorified glasspack. I like the rumble of chambered muffs, but I don't know if I want it that rumbly. 88crownHPP's car sounds pretty good, but still may be a little loud for my liking. I have a single flowtech raptor turbo on it right now, and it is pretty quiet with a slight rumble. I am kinda leaning toward turbos now I think. So as far as power goes, is there much to be gained with chambered mufflers over turbos?

Comment

I have raptors on my 88 Lincoln (dual exhaust)...I like em...I can (barely) hear them...no noticeable drone.....and they r cheap......

Comment

I will never run a chambered muffler on anything. They are not a performance application at all. Look up some flow numbers for a flowmaster vs a straight through muffler vs a piece of straight pipe, it's stupid lol. Plus a louvered glass pack is actually one of the worst flowing mufflers you can get. The little louveres that stick out create so much turbulence in the pipe it really kills the flow.

Now I would assume you're not to worried about power, flowmasters do sound good I have also always liked a nice super turbo muffler on a v8. I've got a set of dynomax race bullets on my mustang, they sound really good, pretty loud but it's not raspy.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                    Big plans

Comment

No muffler is best muffler.
                      '88 Lincoln Town Car '78 F250 Hi-Boy
                      '80 XS850 '80 GS450 '82 XJ650 '81 XJ650 '81XS850 '82 XV750

Comment

Originally posted by TheMightyQuinn View Post
                        No muffler is best muffler.
                        That's good for you youngins...but that won't help my hearing!

sigpic

I'd rather be a failure at something I love than a success at something I hate.
                        George Burns

Comment

Chambered mufflers flow better than stock does, especially if you use a larger diameter muffler. I was thinking of a pair of Thrush Welded muffler if I decide to move up to 2.25 or 2.5" pipe. Since I got the stock duals so recently and don't have a lot of miles on them I might just get Mustang shorties and have downpipes made to bolt up to the "factory" H-pipe and just run the 2" pipes, only no mufflers or cats. Since the pipe is small so it shouldn't be too loud and the small pipe will keep torque low.

Usually i'd be concerned about completely straight pipe sounding terrible but one of my neighbors has a CJ-7 with an AMC 304 with smaller straight pipe and it sounds pretty beefy.
                          88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                          Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

5.0 headers with thrush glasspacks... super cheap and sound monsterous.. stay above 1000 rpm lol
                            Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
                            Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
                            Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

Working...
                            X