Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1000hp fuel system... anyone run dual intank pumps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1000hp fuel system... anyone run dual intank pumps?

Hey guys, Ive had my merc up on blocks in the garage since the fall with taking out and slowly building a whole new new rear end/suspension and fuel system for the future 1000hp in a few years (centrificaly blown and injected 408 with nitrous) to go behind my current lentech AOD and 4" aluminum/chromemoly driveshaft. Ive been having a hell of a time fighting a year long sickness and counting, but on my "good" days ive managed a few hours out in the garage and made quite the progress considering haha, ill be sure to get some pics up soon.

Ive seen great things with the AEM 340 fuel pumps that are a direct swap atleast into my 91 style tank and supporting 1000hp NA. This is my daily driver and will still see tons of street time in the future. Assuming tomorrow i can make it out under there ill take out the lock ring and hat and take another look in the tank but I believe theres no baffles or sump? leaving room to get a pair of stock dimention pumps in parallel each with 1/2" line out of the tank than into a single 1/2" line out to the fuel rails. They will also both get a BAP rigged for full throttle and suffiecient guage wiring ofcourse.

Doing custom fab work is what I enjoy so thats not at all a problem but just wondering if anyone has ran dual stock style pumps in our tanks?

thanks, andy
    Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
    HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

To support that kind of horsepower you're better off with either a new tank or adding a sump. When I put the 408 in my linc, I bought a new stock tank, a dual-out sump from summit, and brought it to someone to have welded on to the bottom. I use a single Holley pump mounted on my framerail and only one output. When its mounted up behind the trunk pan you can hardly tell it's there. It has dual 5/8" (i think) outputs, so it'd support anything you'll do with it. My 408 probably has about 500 hp/tq on its own, and I built it with the parts to run a 200-250 shot all day long. Anything more than that and I would need to consider something stringer than an '84-coded stock block (thought I never did get it running at that limit to find out for sure)

You could go with a new fuel cell in the trunk to get the weight further behind the axle, but it'll take a bit more work and $ for that route. Depends on how stock-looking you want the inside and out to be. Deuce went that route with his 351, but his car was more of a stripped down racer.
    Last edited by phayzer5; 01-15-2013, 09:40 AM.

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
    '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
    '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
      http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Thats a fool proofsystem ^

Makes me wonder too, with the stock tank out the way, could you fab up more trunk space?

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
          Thats a fool proofsystem ^

Makes me wonder too, with the stock tank out the way, could you fab up more trunk space?
          you could, but it would be a lot of work for an additional 6-8"
          http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
          http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Hey, 6''-8'' goes a long way

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
            1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
            1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
            2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
            2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

nice cars guys. how fast are they in the quarter?

I would like to go the trunk fuel cell route but this merc atleast is staying a daily street driver so my trunks pretty well tied up.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0807.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	242.3 KB
ID:	1270502

ive seen that them bosch 044 pumps are great daily driver pump thats external and flow enough to feed 700hp quite reliably, maybe i will go the sump rout or weld in some baffles/internal sump and run 3 rear outlets to 2 seperate bosch 044's to the motor and 1 to the nitrous system. I do like the concept of having external pumps now that you mention it for troubleshooting purposes. I had assumed them externals all ran to hot for daily driving but im seeing lots of good with them boschs.

and lol i hear it does go a long way haha
              HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

There is a small sump in a stock tank just enough for the stock sock filter to occupy.
                Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

If your going to the track you might look up rules and requirements of class you might be in. Certtin ets require different mods to be leagle.

Comment

right, I dont think there is any rules with tanks, just the use of rubber fuels lines being limited. as far as Im aware. but yeh the track I race at is an IHRA track to and theres no shortage of rules in that damn book. Ill likely cut the tank in half and weld up a nice multi layer baffle/sump setup in the lower half with the 3 welded -10an outlets out the rear of the tank. If that makes sense to yas. just got me a sweet fuel injection system put in my arm today for new meds haha so 1 project at a time, ive got the racin and driving bug like no tomorrow tho

thanks, andy

Comment

It makes no sense to mess with an in-tank pump. Weld a sump on your tank and keep the pump outside of it. http://www.jegs.com/p/Competition-En...47333/10002/-1

I am assuming your are going to start with a brand new tank if you are cutting it up and welding baffles inside. Even better would be to put a fuel cell in your trunk. If you ever end up with the bottom facing the sun, you will be glad you did. Even the pros flip because of track conditions and other factors outside of their control. Having a factory tank with the long filler neck sticking into it is just asking for trouble in a serious car.

Comment

my tank is is good shape so I will likely get the shop to dip it first after I clean out what I can. Ill build a track only stang someday im sure but for this car always going to be on the street witha deer or 2 and huntin gear in the trunk every fall with the subs and amps and nitrous bottles... a fuel cell isnt in the cards for this car. But I see your point and will do what I can to make the tank more race safe with perhaps a ball valve at the tank to seal off the filler neck when racing or whatever else I can plan to incorperate into it.

Comment

At some point this tank will be moved forward after I build my wats link and 3 piece sway bar set up. It does pass for usage in any racing venue I might enter

Click image for larger version

Name:	TANK1 004.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	1270547

Comment

You guys have some nice strip projects, The last year ive been seeing the attraction of a strip only build and Im definetly going to buy another merc likely in my 30's realistically and do that. At the same time Even with $5 gal gas prices and up over here, I cant ever see myself with a drag only car and a 4 banger for daily driving lol. This will be my street strip weekend warrior. Im definetly going to do a strip car merc though like you guys got goin.

turbo2265b, where abouts in michigan are ya? Im just over the blue water bridge from port huron. And ive wondered, how do those fuel cells vent?

Comment

Been under the bridge up there never across it. Not currently living in MI but KY working on moving to Mi or OH to be near the great lakes. My son is still in MI think he is back in the Westland area were I used to live.

I vist as often as possible my girl friend is in the OH. I drive the above car up there as well as its used as a DD at times. Built it for all around usage.

Comment

Working...
                              X