No announcement yet.

Just Purchased a 1998 Marquis!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, from what I've read, because I have traction control it is highly unlikely that I have a LSD as well. I think I am looking for an "L" on the differential tag. Any thoughts on the engine noise on acceleration?

I think the PrecsionTrac is just what Mercury called the suspension on the vehicle.

Comment

the engine noise is probably light pinging (does it sound like a rapid tapping sound?). the NPI engines are bad about that with E10. They need straight gas or plus grade to run on that stock lean tune. This also tends to happen when the timing tensioners are wiped out and there's slack in the chain.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I guess I'll try plus on my next fill up and see if that gets rid of it.

Comment

tensioners were wiped out on my 93 at the time as well... so that may be an indicator.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

If you have the performance package (dual ex and rear air springs) you should have posi. If the clutches are still good IDK, but the carrier should be in there. You can jack the rear end up, put it in neutral, brake off, then rotate a tire by hand. If both wheels rotate in the same direction, the posi is working to some degree. You could check it with a torque wrench to see how well it is working but I do not know the spec. I have to remind myself to check mine the next time it is up as my clutches are new.
            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

You do not have the Handling and Performance Package unless you have dual exhaust and fancy, lacey spoke rims (not the teardrops) and rear swaybar. PrecisionTrac was the traction control where your brakes will pulse if you accellerate too hard and spin the rear tires at different rates. Keeps you from fishtailing, but robs all power, you cannot pull out in the snow and take off quickly.
              Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

I do have the Handling and Performance Package. I have dual exhaust and the lacy wheels and I recall seeing it on the dealer options sheet in the glove box. Is there a way to disable the traction control? I think I've read you can get tuners that have an option to disable traction control.

Comment

if you don't have the manual, download it from www.motorcraftservice.com (link on the left to owner guides will get you to the download area). That have 96+ vehicles stored there. It should say in the manual how to disable traction control.

Comment

I love those HPP cars. So you almost certainly have posi installed. I had a 93 for 9 years.
                    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Not so fast bubby... I have a 2000 GM HPP that has neither ABS/Traction Control nor a TracLok. 3.55 open diff as equipped from the factory. Not sure why anyone would specify an HPP car without a locking diff, but mine is the one that proves it can happen, bastard child that it is...

CFord: There are several door tag decoders out there that'll help you figure out just what equipment your GM is equipped with... There also should be a tag on the rear end cover that'll tell you for sure how the car was factory equipped, assuming no one has been in there before.

2000 Mercury Grand Marquis GS HPP - SOLD
                      Wore out the cam chain tensioners and jumped time at 176k miles.

Comment

Ziggy, what does your door show? An HPP may have been ordered, the rear may have grenaded, and they replaced it with a different diff. Just a possibility. Rear ends don't come stamped with the VIN on them afaik.
                        Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Door tag read 3.55 open, confirmed with tag on the rear end cover. Trust me, I was severely disappointed. :/ I made a thread about it once upon a time... I'm sure it's around here somewhere.

Comment

Clicky <--This is my intro thread from last year where I was trying to figure out exactly what I've got...

Comment

Live and learn. I guess ford had a better idea not keeping the posi as part of the performance package.
                              02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Not sure if its the same sound the OP was describing, but my '98 P71 made a strange light clickity-clack from the engine under hard acceleration...never figured it out and sometimes it didn't do it. Maybe it was the gas, one of the gas stations I go to has ethanol in their fuel. It kept running and always had good power, so I wasn't too worried about it.

Also, that car did have traction control and I could turn it off with a button in the glove box. Not sure if that is only with the police package or all of them. Take a look, it was a little button to the left when you open the glove box, said something like "traction off" around it.
                                Last edited by 87DeuceVic; 02-07-2013, 08:00 AM.
                                -2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor - Daily Driver - 17" Bullitt's, 235/55/17 Goodyear Eagles, Ex-NH State Police, best 1/4 mile time; 15.3 @ 90 mph
                                -1987 Crown Victoria 2-Door - Project - 90k miles, Summit chambered muffler, Sunpro gauges, parked since 2010, fate tbd

Comment

Working...
                                X