strange idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slymer View Post
    to test the maf, unplug it. if nothing changes... it's likely the problem. But it looks like you found the problem. Bad plugs.
    yeah i replaced em today, runs alot better now, and i dont notice the weird idle problem. im still gonna try the maf though, but i looked at it when i pulled the airbox and it looks to be in good shape
    2010 Toyota Camry "Traveller II "
    54,xxx miles. New daily driver
    2001 Lincoln Town Car Signature "Leroy"
    rear cats deleted, 2" h pipe, dual 8" cherry bomb glasspacks
    114k miles. Sold to my coworker.
    1998 Toyota Camry "Traveller"
    Dead and sold.

Comment

*update*
      still doin the weird idle. i checked the maf by unplugging it, not the problem.
      2010 Toyota Camry "Traveller II "
      54,xxx miles. New daily driver
      2001 Lincoln Town Car Signature "Leroy"
      rear cats deleted, 2" h pipe, dual 8" cherry bomb glasspacks
      114k miles. Sold to my coworker.
      1998 Toyota Camry "Traveller"
      Dead and sold.

Comment

sounds like it could be clogged egr passeges or manifold leak
        89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Originally posted by 01Townie View Post
          *update*
          still doin the weird idle. i checked the maf by unplugging it, not the problem.
          Townie,

Just wondering if you got this licked? I've been driving my wife's GM for the past few days with my wagon in the shop. I've noticed that it will surge especially with the window defogger on. Once I switch it off it will stop. Did you try the EGR replacement? We got brand new coil packs when we purchased the car two months ago, so I know that's not the problem (the dealership we got it from had their porter steam clean the engine and he soaked the packs, causing it to misfire). Lemme know!

Mark
          Mark • Valparaiso, IN

His - 1994 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon • Blue on Blue • 170K miles
          Hers - 1999 Mercury Grand Marquis • Black on Gray • 72K miles

Comment

Originally posted by 01Townie View Post
            That woulda thrown a code if it was a miss. I thought that's what it was at 1st but I checked it and only code it had was for the fuel level sensor which has been bad for a few months, and the problem started before that
            not necessarily. you can have misfire events without codes, it only throws a check engine light when the misfire counter reaches a predetermined number before the counter resets. if you have a scan tool with live data or mode 6 you could rule out misfiring. even then, fords are notoriously hateful to diagnose misfires on if the drive cycles haven't been completed (ie: if someone has cleared codes recently)
            sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

check for vacuum leaks or a clogged EGR passage
              sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I'm having the exact same issue w/ my 1992 MGM 4.6 It sits there and idles up n down up n down etc. It however did show a code of EGR and tps, i changed the tps and its still doing it. Not to hijack the thread or anything but i looked at the egr and it looks pretty tucked away in the back passenger side of the engine, how does one go about removing said item or to be able to clean the elbow coming from the intake to the egr as i have heard that 9 times out of 10 you never really need an egr valve just need to clean the passage from the intake to the egr, like an elbow or something? Again (what ive heard). Ill post updates but would love for a mechanic to chime in on how to remove the egr, i googled it and found nothing on (How To). thank you kindly in advance.
                Last edited by Nvy; 03-31-2013, 09:50 AM.

1992 Mercury Grand Marquis

Comment

Hold on. I got you......

-ryan s.
                  08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                  03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                  97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                  94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                  73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                  12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                  Originally posted by pantera77
                  Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Originally posted by SVT98t View Post
                    Hold on. I got you......

-ryan s.
                    eh? lol ok.

1992 Mercury Grand Marquis

Comment

Making a new thread for it.

-ryan s.
                      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                      Originally posted by pantera77
                      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Working...
                      X