Change odometer reading on 79-89 140 speedo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change odometer reading on 79-89 140 speedo

I'm installing a 140 speedo I purchased awhile ago and before putting it in I would like for the mileage to be correct. I have taken the 140 apart down to the odometer unit but I can't roll the new odometer back to match my current mileage. I don't want to risk damaging it either. I have found this thread

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=33460

But it is for the 90-91 clusters and mine is different.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Not to sound smart but did you try rolling it forward to the right mileage?

Comment

Other than just spinning the speedo by hand or a with a powerdrill, I'm not sure if there is an easy way to do this other than disassembling the odo and re-aligning all the number wheels to match your original mileage. I actually tried spinning it on a spare cluster from an 88-89 MGM, but it takes forever to roll through only a couple thousand miles.

It worked and if I needed to I could still use the cluster (but I have no use for it, also have another spare), but I wouldn't really recommend doing it that way, for one the odo was probably not intended to spin that fast. Also with a collectable 140mph cluster that could just be a recipe for damage that I would not want to risk.
      What I ended up doing was using one of the odo worm gears as the drill bit to turn the odo. If yours is an 1985 cluster it may have the same odo gears but again I really would not recommend doing it this way. I'd say it would be better to just leave it rather than do it this way.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I left mine. I just jotted down the mileage difference and keep that in mind.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

It's been a while since I've done one, but from what I remember those are easy.
          The tough ones are the 95+.

Comment

once the odometer is in your hand, you'll see that there is a pin across the top that holds the small gears that drive the odometer indicator wheels. Push that out and carefully set the drive gears aside. Roll the odometer where you need it, and put it all back together. Its sort of a pain in the ass because the numbers will want to roll halfway out of line, but if you're patient and careful you'll get it back together correctly.

Or you could swap in your original odometer. I think they are the same, except for the drive gear on the back but I may be wrong on that.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yep thanks gadget I thought that pin could come out but wasn't sure.

I could've rolled it forward but it was at 34k and I need 21k. It would've taken hours.

Anyway thanks all
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

Working...
              X