Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First post

Howdy to all from Central Indiana.
    Feels funny to be a "noob" considering that I've got grandkids as old as some of you. LOL And I've been on a dozen different Jeep forums for 20 years. BUT.... Other than Jeeps & AMC, I'm a Ford guy. Had super nice baby blue '72 Gran Torino back in the day and a black over silver '77 F150 at one point that was an awesome truck. But it's been a while since anything other than a Jeep has sat around the driveway.

Recently picked up a 2000 Grand Marquis tho with only 105k on the clock and am using it as my commuter so I need to give it a little TLC.
    So having been a SuSE/openSuSE Linux user for 10+ years and a participant in various Jeep forums for even longer, I understand fully the value of community supported / open source knowledge bases.

So here I am at the well and need to find out a few things that are Ford specific to keep this puppy purring along.
    Oh, this is also only the 2nd vehicle I've ever owned that was manufactured in the current century.
    The other is the wife's 2004 Grand Cherokee.
    I tend to keep things a long time.

Last time I was in a dealership (before this new acquisition) was 1992.
    That Jeep just got given away to a grandkid a couple of years ago at 298,000 miles. Still ran like a top, last I saw it.
    MY truck is an '88 Grand Wagoneer on a 6" lift and 33's and tons of other mods too numerous to go into. 270,000 and counting.
    My next project is refurbishing my '87 Street Comanche. It's been sidelined for a number of years.

But enough about Jeeps.... on to the forums and questions Ford related.

Keep the shiny side up everyone!
    2000 Grand Marquis
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee ...wifes...
    1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer ...6" lift, 33's, fun but a money pit...
    1987 Jeep Street Comanche #24 of 100 ...ya don't wanna ask unless you've got lots of time...

welcome to gmn! we will be glad to answer your questions! btw post up a pic we go coo coo for pics and vids
    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Welcome to the Party!!

-ryan s.
      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
      Originally posted by pantera77
      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Welcome!

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Welcome to GMN!!
          '79 Continental Town Car
          '90 Crown Victoria LTD
          '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Welcome!
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Welcome!
              2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
              2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
              Past Panthers
              1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
              if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Thanks all! Swear I'll get up some pics once it quits being so nasty out and I can give her a wash.

Wheels are really ugly tho. 20 teardrop alloys but they're horrible looking (salt) so I'm considering options there.
                Thinking of P71 black steelies w/ baby moons and trim rings. Cost would come in about $250 less than reconditioned alloys.
                I tend to like "uncomplicated" wheels. Like the Outlaw I's on my Street Comanche.

Baby moons can be good or bad. I'm not sure yet whether I'd like them or not on the GM. The GM's Harvest Gold. I may have to work w/ the GIMP after I get some good pics and see what I can come up with. I might paint mockups on cardboard and stick them against the current wheels just to get an idea what they'd look like.

Drove the GM 40miles home tonight in an inch+ of sleet on the interstate! WHEE!
                Why to people think these things handle badly on the slick stuff? She did fine. She drifted a little in some deep slop the plows had pushed into the lane I was in, but easing off the pedal and a light correction without panic and she straighened right up. Doesn't even have a decent snow tire on it, just crappy Big-0 cheapies w/ decent tread. Does have 3 70lb sand bags in the trunk however. 1 over each wheel and 1 in the center of the well. Helps a lot.
                Plus she's got the Precisiontrac which I don's suppose helps a lot at 40mph in the slush. Unfortunately no trac-loc....yet.

I'm just used to driving RWD's I guess. Never grew up driving FWD's so RWD handling isn't new to me. Actually have only ever driven one FWD for any length of time. I'm glad to have a RWD back in the stable instead. I thought it handled this slop pretty nicely....considering that I haven't converted it to 4wheel drive with a lift kit yet.
                2000 Grand Marquis
                2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee ...wifes...
                1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer ...6" lift, 33's, fun but a money pit...
                1987 Jeep Street Comanche #24 of 100 ...ya don't wanna ask unless you've got lots of time...

Comment

Welcome to the mad house!
                  Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                  Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X