Roller Rockers ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
    There's actually 2 style of the Crane 1.7'srr with the Ford part #. Slight differences between the 2. I have a set of each. I also never had any noise issues, besides for one of the sets I have has a noisy rocker. The other 31 are dead silent.
    Maybe I need to set my lash a little tighter then...half turn past zero lash may not be enough for good quietness.

I don't base my opinion on 1.7rr's on "simulations"...and I think the real benefit is in the fulcrum, not so much the tip. The way I see it, if the benefits were really that minimal, Ford wouldn't have spent the money to put them on the Cobras...the cost of roller rockers supplied by an aftermarket company are SIGNIFICANTLY higher than the cost of stamped steel rockers already in millions of production vehicles.

-Don
    '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

Have to remember ford used them on limited edition engines. Back in that time period they were bairly over 100.00 from crane. Ford would have gotten a good brake purchasing in quanity.
      Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
        Have to remember ford used them on limited edition engines. Back in that time period they were bairly over 100.00 from crane. Ford would have gotten a good brake purchasing in quanity.
        Very true...around 5100 93 cobras were produced(including "R" models)....and I'd be willing to say that a set of stamped rockers probably cost Ford pennies on the dollar compared to the discounted bulk purchase of roller rockers from Crane. Even if Ford got them for $20 a set, it probably only cost 40-80 cents a set for stamped steel. Ford knew it was a one year deal and probably didn't mind blowing a little bit of their wad on production costs to help build the Cobra nameplate...lol. I'm pretty sure that the '94-95 Cobras were equipped with stamped rockers considering the fact that they had a lower hoodline than the fox body and as such had to have a shorter upper plenum which necessitated using the stamped valve covers as opposed to the aluminum covers in the fox bodies.

Imagine the legacy the '93 Cobra would have if it hadn't been saddled with a broomstick cam, they increased the breathing capability then threw in a cam to try to get back some of the low-end torque that was lost...basically negating the larger available gains on the top end...oh well, I'm done going off-topic now, I promise!

Just my 2 cents!
        -Don
        Last edited by sick88tbird; 03-09-2013, 10:40 AM.
        '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

Originally posted by sick88tbird View Post
          I'm pretty sure that the '94-95 Cobras were equipped with stamped rockers considering the fact that they had a lower hoodline than the fox body and as such had to have a shorter upper plenum which necessitated using the stamped valve covers as opposed to the aluminum covers in the fox bodies.
          What does that have to do with anything? The Crane 1.7's fit perfectly fine under the stamped steel Cobra valve covers.
          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I don't think they had had stamped rockers. They did have stamped steel valve covers that were suspiciously identical to Panther stock valve covers. The 93 covers were essentially the same, except they had an embossed COBRA on them. The steelies have more internal room than the aluminum covers found on the HO engines.

The cam they used was out of the 92 Couger/Tbird motor. It was altered for increased low end torque vs the HO stick. I've driven a 92 Grand Marq with a 92 Couger motor and it moves. None of that mushy lack of power till 2500 rpm nonsense you get out of an HO stick with a stock converter. I can compare it to my car with the Explorer cam. Similar off-idle torque but the Couger motor pulls longer than mine does. Considering I have a truck cam, thats expected. I'd actually like to find one of those to stick in my car.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I have 1.7 RRs on the carbed explorer 304 in my coupe. P heads, early SD HO grind (more duration), RPM Air gap, 600 DP.

I measured and degreed the cam in my car, and was painstaking in setting up the valvetrain geometry. I used the 'sharpie witness mark system', and shimmed the rockers to maximize the valve lift (measured with a dial indicator). A centered witness mark doesn't always mean maximum valve lift.

In theory, the valve lift is lobe lift multiplied by the rocker arm ratio. In my experience, the measured valve lift is far from theoretical without alot of work setting up the valvetrain geometry. Shims and possibly pushrod length adjustment are critical to maximizing valve lift. In my case it took both. YMMV depending on head gasket thickness, milled heads, etc.
              **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
              **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
              **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
              **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

I have spent hours setting up C motors and 385 series engines. The canted vales stuff was realy bad before they actually made ford rockers instead of realy selling big block chevy ones as ford rockers.
                Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                  I have 1.7 RRs on the carbed explorer 304 in my coupe. P heads, early SD HO grind (more duration), RPM Air gap, 600 DP.

I measured and degreed the cam in my car, and was painstaking in setting up the valvetrain geometry. I used the 'sharpie witness mark system', and shimmed the rockers to maximize the valve lift (measured with a dial indicator). A centered witness mark doesn't always mean maximum valve lift.

In theory, the valve lift is lobe lift multiplied by the rocker arm ratio. In my experience, the measured valve lift is far from theoretical without alot of work setting up the valvetrain geometry. Shims and possibly pushrod length adjustment are critical to maximizing valve lift. In my case it took both. YMMV depending on head gasket thickness, milled heads, etc.
                  I really wonder how much I'm leaving on the table with my "it works" valvetrain. Some day I'd really like to set it up legitimately.
                  2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                  2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                  2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                  1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I never really drove my car with the original valvetrain set-up that it came with. It had 1.7s just bolted down.

But I know with my current set-up: 304, bowl worked Ps, air gap RPM, 600 DP, 3600 stall DD, and 3.73s, my coupe is a fun car. Small motor, but plenty of sack, especially for all Ford parts. I'd imagine with some good heads, valve reliefed pistons and a decent OTS grind, it'd run my stock '12 GT off the road.

When I first finished it, I took my friend for a ride. He's a seasoned hot rodder, and always kind of thought the car would be a turd.

His exact words were, "Dude, what the hell?"

I really want to finish (for real) and register it. Such a sleeper. It looks like a grandma car, but no one has any idea what the hell it is when I take it out. I had it out a couple nights last summer (on a dealer plate), to cruise the local car scene a little bit. A local kid (few years younger than me) thought it was funny. He wanted to race (G37 coupe, 6 spd). I thought I'd get dusted, but obliged him anyway, and I remember his friend saying, "that thing sounds kind of healthy." I nosed him. So its as fast as an intake/ exhaust G37 6 spd with a kid driving it.
                    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

...I nosed him. ....

pETE
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                      1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                      1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

I never really drove my car with the original valvetrain set-up that it came with. It had 1.7s just bolted down.

But I know with my current set-up: 304, bowl worked Ps, air gap RPM, 600 DP, 3600 stall DD, and 3.73s, my coupe is a fun car. Small motor, but plenty of sack, especially for all Ford parts. I'd imagine with some good heads, valve reliefed pistons and a decent OTS grind, it'd run my stock '12 GT off the road.

When I first finished it, I took my friend for a ride. He's a seasoned hot rodder, and always kind of thought the car would be a turd.

His exact words were, "Dude, what the hell?"

I really want to finish (for real) and register it. Such a sleeper. It looks like a grandma car, but no one has any idea what the hell it is when I take it out. I had it out a couple nights last summer (on a dealer plate), to cruise the local car scene a little bit. A local kid (few years younger than me) thought it was funny. He wanted to race (G37 coupe, 6 spd). I thought I'd get dusted, but obliged him anyway, and I remember his friend saying, "that thing sounds kind of healthy." I nosed him. So its as fast as an intake/ exhaust G37 6 spd with a kid driving it.

FWIW, a stock G37 seems to run high 13's. Best I could find for a stock G37 was Motortrend running a 13.5.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Working...
                        X