1991 GM LS Part Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1991 GM LS Part Out

Well, it's about time to part out the Blue LS that has all the electrical gremlins. The transmission was probably toasted most of the rest of the way by yours truly getting stuck in the snow in the driveway. Then the headgasket blew. So I'm still driving it, but currently it is out at a former dealership body man's house getting a lot of parts stripped.

I'm talking wheel and body moldings, blue dash pad, dome light (may be pristine once I clean the smoker residue off) Blue vents, all newer (dorman?) window motors and door lock actuators, etc.

Some of this stuff I will keep for spares for myself, some of it is being swapped directly onto my Silver GS. I'm keeping the taillights, headliner and cardboard, heater control head, etc. But I may have the bumpers for sale for local pickup if anyone is interested.

This car is just not worth fixing, I'd have to rewire the entire damned thing and put a drivetrain in it, and I'm only allowed 2 cars at my new place. (seriously, the opera and dome light wiring and more is TOASTED)

I will have a barely used (seriously, ran up and down a couple times) power antenna for sale (don't use the radio in case it was burning out wiring ( I could smell burning wiring when using radio stock or aftermarket).

Will post full list once I have a firm list of what I'm keeping. Buy y'all can throw out requests for parts here, and if I don't have it on this run, I'll remove it before it goes to the junkyard.

Here's the thread from when I first got it with a hell of a lot of pics (note, the swaybars went on the silver car, accidentally posted in the blue car thread) http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...nd-Marquis-85k
    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

I'll have to check back once you have confirmed what you will be keeping.

Things that I may be interested in:
    Transmission shift cable
    The top shroud for the steering column
    One of the vents but I don't remember which one (will check after work)

And things that are on my wish list but probably will not be able to afford:
    The trunk lid if it is still in good shape (not all rusted and chrome trim piece gone like both of mine)
    and what shape is the carpet in?
    Both of my cars have a hole in the carpet where my left foot rests, the 89 developed over the years and the 91 had the hole when I got it.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Hi,
      For my 91 GM, I'm looking for a bumper guard for the rear and I could use all of the dash vents if they are available. The chrome lip for the trunk would be on the list. A dash pad would be awesome to find.
      Thank you,
      Mike
      90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
      90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
      91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
      70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

Comment

The chrome lip on the trunk is starting to pit just barely, but the trunk itself, the lip is in better shape than my silver one with fewer miles, but there's also a crease in the one trunk hinge arm and it wobbles at the top of travel. I will be shooting some pics of the car as it sits really soon to post here. So stay tuned.

I really don't want to be a dick but I'll have to take best offer versus first come first served.

If anyone is wanting to buy the final remains of the car for the minimally rusty body parts or frame (I've received at least one DM inquiring about this) I will let it go for at least scrap price based on weight & $/tonne at the local scrap yard up the road) but it won't be road legal as I'm taking the taillight housings and headlight doors/grille and such. It also doens't want to run/shift over 45 (and even then it's kind of howling at you), so it will move under its own power, but as I said, headgasket and tranny are toast.

I'll post a list of stuff I'm definitely keeping, when I post the pics (probably later today).
        Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

1st four pages of my flickr feed (minus the first four underhood pics of the silver car with the blue wagon braces). There's all kinds of frame pics, dash, all the way around, trunk lip, the little bit of pitting on the left side of the chrome strip on the trunk. The kink in the trunk lid arm.

All pics here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sexcpotatoes/

There are 57 of them! Happy viewing.

Comment

The only colored dash vent surround is the far right passenger side one, they are all just black plastic and iirc, all interchangeable, it unbolts from the colored surround. All work, open and close, tilt and go up and down perfectly.
            Last edited by sxcpotatoes; 03-08-2013, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sxcpotatoes View Post
              I really don't want to be a dick but I'll have to take best offer versus first come first served.
              That's not being a dick, that's just common sense. Make as much money as you can off the car as you can.
              Last edited by VicCrownVic; 03-09-2013, 02:28 AM.
              Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

PM sent

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                That's not being a dick, that's just common sense. Make as much money as you can off the car as you can.
                Getting late my edit on that one was adding the second "as you can".
                Last edited by VicCrownVic; 03-09-2013, 03:09 AM.
                Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Okay, things are really starting to move on getting the parts off this car, I will be PM-ing people next week as I get the parts off and have them ready to send. Fuller list will be posted as well shortly. I may send my dad to Scottfest with the car since I can't get the time off work and maybe he could make some of the gas money back by hauling parts over there, or swap for some goodies I might want/need.

Does anybody know if you have to pull the fenders to pull the header panel and front valance?
                  Last edited by sxcpotatoes; 05-03-2013, 09:08 AM.

Comment

nope. just need tight area ratchet.

quick q's:
                    does the 91 have 3-point rear belts?
                    are those being parted?
                    can you get the mounting hardware and pics of the rear deck/c-pillar arrangement?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

^Yep, what Slymer said^, Pop the hood and access the nuts through the fender, it's a pretty tight space. I think I made use of extensions and swivels when I had to replace one, but that was at least 6 years ago. IIRC there are 3 on each side, somewhere around 10-13mm or 7/16-1/2 inch.
                      Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

I got away with just extensions and patience. I did it in below freezing weather in a junkyard 5 feet in the air (because that is the way they stack the cars). You should be able to do it no matter what!
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

One of the bolts won't come out to get the seat back out, but one is out already. I forget at the moment but I think the anchor for the seatbelts are the bolts for the seatback. I will part out the 3pt belts if I can get them out. If I can only get one, you want it Sly? I'll get pics when I can, do you want the rear C pillar interior cardboard whatevers the seatbelts come out of if I can remove without destroying?

Comment

nah... I just want pics of the mounts and possibly the hardware off the retractor and c-pillar if it's not welded to it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1650.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	1272307Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1652.jpg
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	1272308Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1653.jpg
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	1272309Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1654.jpg
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	1272310Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1655.jpg
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	1272311Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1656.jpg
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	1272312Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1657.jpg
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	1272313

pics as it sits, valances header, lots off. More soon of the electrical damage under the headliner

Comment

Working...
                              X