need help identifying parts on my 1980 grand marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help identifying parts on my 1980 grand marquis

Hi! I have a 1980 grand marquis with the 302 in it.no am trying to figure out what transmission is in the car along with what rear end.. I thought it was an aod in it but the linkages where the kickdown cable ( I added a lokar cable instead of the rod) attaches to the trans looks liken a fmx trans.. But car says automatic overdrive on rear windows. Also I want to put a limited slip differential in it but I think its a 8.5 rear end. I believe everything the same as a 8.8 though. I am familiar with 8.8s due to my 1988 5.0 GT mustang. Any help would be awesome!! I also would like to swap rear disc brakes and upgrade to like 3.08 gears.

The plan is for a turbo 351w this summer some time.

Thank you all!!

Far as I remember it IS an AOD in that year. Not sure about the rear end though.....

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

More research, however, does show C4/C6 and FMX in some of the vehicles. Sorry but I am sure that doesn't help much!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Welcome!

These era of panther came with both C4-3 speed and AOD-4 speed. Some did come with a FMX. Do you have a 321 gear indicator pattern? Or OD,D,1 pattern? Most likly, you have an AOD. The trans pan is the quickest way to identify it for sure.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AODbot.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	1271769

As for the rear end, the door jam VIN tag will list the axle code but, best place to look is at the tag attached to the diff. And yes, 8.8 and 8.5 housings are the same. Just need the 8.8 guts.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Thanks for the replies so fast!! The gear indicator says 1-3-D. But I'm used to an overdrive trans having a circle around the top most d meaning overdrive. Mine just says only has one d and no circle around it. By the look of the kickdown linkage that goes thru the trans housing, it looks like its an fmx. But if I remember correctly, i thought it was an aod per the pan bolts... I'm all sorts of confused lol.

Thanks for the help on the rear end! I would like to swap disc brakes and add limited slip and 8.8 gears.. I can get the code number off the rear end later today.

This car had 85k original miles, bought from the original old lady that bought it new lol. I put a 289 hi po 4 barrel intake on it, big can, headers, full 2.5 mandrel bent exhaust, and got rid of all the vacuum emission stuff.. Its a great car, just looking for more power later on.

Comment

After further review.. it has a white circle with a black D in the middle of it.. so mb that is an overdrive d?

Comment

Yea, it is most likly an AOD I for got they use a 3 instead of D in early panthers. 3 is the same as D lol and a white circle, with a black D is overdrive(that dident sound right lol). My lincoln is like this too.

And we live for pictures here

Comment

Lol!!! Okay..i will take a picture of it, but i am unsure of how to post them on here.. i will mess around with it and see if i can get it figured out. Thanks!

Comment

No problem. I should add though, make sure that TV cable is adjusted right and does not losen up any. It dont take much for these AODs to burn up, especially the early production units. From my experience and many prolly will agree, a higher(more max) adjustment will help.

And for your pics, using a image hosting site is best. That way you just have to copy the URL, in the pic uploader.

Comment

for a decent gear , you can nab a rear from a lincoln towncar limo, they have 3.55 gearing and traclok already installed, you can also find the "k" code axles in towing package wagons and towncars as well, a good indicator is the dual exhuast, but not always. limos also have been varified as having 31 spline axles as well.
                    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

I am not sure what a tv cable is.. i ordered the lokar fmx kickdown linkage, because looking ay the installation paper, the fmx has the same exact linkage as what my transmission has.. i will post pictures later of the trans along with the gear indicator

Comment

TV cable is what that Lokar thing is. On a 1980, it would have used a rod. The multiport injection models starting in 1986 got a cable to do the same job.

The AOD is descended from the FMX, so its entirely possible those parts look highly similar. Its also not impossible that your car does not have the original transmission in it. Does the trans pan say Automatic Overdrive on it? If not, it may not be the original AOD.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                        X