No announcement yet.

1982 Mercury Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today I discovered a nice treat while I was 3g alternator hunting..

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190913_195215.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	1285858
    got em from a 85(?) 4 door vic with a surprising amount of options. I did not know these existed and I'm pretty excited. Read a few threads about people having issues with them being noisy but I just cant pass up that nostalgia factor! Theyll be a nice addition to the 82.

I grabbed as much as I thought I would need for the swap. Can anyone else verify if the scissor lift mechanism is the same for these as it is for full window? I grabbed the whole guide and assorted hardware and it looks like my marquis doors have the cutout in the door skin already. I'm gonna go back tomorrow for any other parts. Found another vic with some misc trim that I need as well. Unfortunately both were quite rusty..
    Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
    Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
    Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

Oh, a Manny Tranny, nice.

I would imagine the mechanism is the same for the windows, but don't know for certain.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Window mechanism is the same. Just pull the old glass and window channel out. Pop in the vent window. Since the car wasn’t a factory vent window car, you won’t use the bolts that would go on the top of the window frame. There will be a nut and bolt you can put in at the bottom of the window.

Vent window main glass bolts in the same spots to the regulator, so it’s really simple. You’ll just need to trim the dew wipe down a little bit so it’s not being pushed out of the way where glass use to be. My ‘87 wasn’t a vent window car, but was a generally straight forward conversion.

My Cars:
        -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
        -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

went back to scope it out again today, the car was in fact an 83. not that it matters. but anywho.. i was also able to find some trim pieces ive needed for some time. there was a low optioned vic with power locks and crank windows. which my mercury has and i have not been able to find the door lock trim pieces. but now i have!

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
          Window mechanism is the same. Just pull the old glass and window channel out. Pop in the vent window. Since the car wasn’t a factory vent window car, you won’t use the bolts that would go on the top of the window frame. There will be a nut and bolt you can put in at the bottom of the window.

Vent window main glass bolts in the same spots to the regulator, so it’s really simple. You’ll just need to trim the dew wipe down a little bit so it’s not being pushed out of the way where glass use to be. My ‘87 wasn’t a vent window car, but was a generally straight forward conversion.
          thanks for that, i was racking my brain trying to figure out if i was wasting my time. is it going to matter that my windows are crank and not power?
          Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
          Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
          Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

I doubt it should. I’m sure the mechanism is the same, the difference probably just being a crank handle vs an electric motor to move the glass.

My Cars:
            -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
            -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
            -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
            -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
              I doubt it should. I’m sure the mechanism is the same, the difference probably just being a crank handle vs an electric motor to move the glass.
              That's exactly what I was thinking. Hopefully it's that simple.

Comment

Name:	20190917_192400.jpg
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	1285881Click image for larger version

Name:	20190918_091507.jpg
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	1285883Click image for larger version

Name:	20190919_181514.jpg
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	1285882

Finally got the 96 acke stripped, primed and painted!!! After such a loooooong process I finally got all the parts and we are ready for reassembly!

Comment

Nice!!!

If I had waited a couple years, I could have gotten a '94 rear from the JY I frequent. At some point, I will break down and want rear discs on the CV

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
                    Nice!!!

If I had waited a couple years, I could have gotten a '94 rear from the JY I frequent. At some point, I will break down and want rear discs on the CV
                    I wasnt gonna do it. I was just gonna do gears in my stock axle. But I said to myself, itll never be what I want if I dont do it now... here we are a year later... but it will actually be what I want.

That and I would also have discovered eventially that my 8.5 would have to be removed anyway haha

Comment

its finisssssshhhhhhhed... finally. took damn near 2 years. but i now have 3.73 traclok with disk brakes it was fully stripped down painted and rebuilt, every bearing and seal replaced, complete gear swap and brake rebuild.

Name:	20200329_104330.jpg
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	1286698Click image for larger version

Name:	20200329_104342.jpg
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	1286699

also learned some new things along the way and adjusted my shopping list accordingly. Back in the fall, i picked up a 2003 PI. it was supposed to be a decent driver, but i ended up stripping it and i never plated or even drove it... fast foward to now.. i salvaged the driveshaft from it, and its going in the 82. I had a bunch of conflicting info but after some side by side i finally figured it out.. in my particular application (others may differ) i am gonna be using an 03 aluminum driveshaft bolting to the 96 axle, no issue. Ill need to swap the yoke and i already knew this because i going to a T5, but i didnt realize id be able to use my stock one. yay! i was also anticipating length differences but they are all spot on so i dont think ill be needing a spacer either. anywho.. im sure most people who have done this swap already know all the info im sharing, but pictures always help. so heres a comparison between them. One from my 82 with 8.5 rear, the other steel with the chopped off end from an 88 Marquis with 8.8, and then the aluminum one from an 03 Crown PI with 8.8.

Name:	20200329_103901.jpg
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	1286700Click image for larger version

Name:	20200329_104000.jpg
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	1286701Click image for larger version

Name:	20200329_104010.jpg
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	1286702

Comment

Nice! I have a 3:27 disc rear in the back of the 82 I just bolted in. I have the same steps to take to finish like you.
                        Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Originally posted by p71towny View Post
                          Nice! I have a 3:27 disc rear in the back of the 82 I just bolted in. I have the same steps to take to finish like you.
                          its done now. and i absolutely love it. wayyy more pull on takeoff, even with the garbage 255. only issue i have, is that the box sway bar is hitting the sway bar mounts on the 96 axle since its a different style. ill chop those off and should be finished.

Comment

Working...
                          X