1982 Mercury Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds good to me lol
    Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
    Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
    Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
      For the love of god please don't. He even wishes he didn't do it. Only advantage is going OBD-II, if you're going that route just go all in.... and good luck.
      LOL, I take it John is running into some issues with the EDIS setup? At least he can say he's done something nobody else has. Although there are quite a few neat mods on his car that nobody else has done or not many have done.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Just a lot of crazy tuning needed to make everything he's got to work in harmony. Most people wouldn't want to go through that or pay for it.
        -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Yeah, if I were to go the Explorer route and want to keep EDIS I'd swap as much from the Explorer as possible. Basically swapping the whole setup (engine, ecm, harness, etc., etc. even a compatible trans) from one body to the other.
          Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

youll see alot of that here as well... lots of mods nobody else would do haha thats my whole goal with this car is to make it unique, lots of ideas and my own touches and then the more common mods as well of course lol.

shifting the topic a bit.. the first thing im going to be diving into is the suspension/running gear. ive got a lot of good ideas and questions, but first thing on my list is ride height. what ive got on the list so far is some speedway springs everywhere ive read it seems to me my combo will be 925lbs front and 200lbs rear. now bear with me here, i tend to overthink things. would those spring rates need to be slightly higher if my car is heavier? (say a 1000 and a 225?)

unlike most who would strip a car, i am actually adding significant weight to the car. there will be a heavier 351 up front, several layers of interior soundproofing for comfort and drivability, and a good bit of audio equipment in the trunk.

2nd thing... shocks.. not a clue. do i need to buy 1" shorter shocks? im assuming yes because i know its not good for stock ones.

3rd thing. wheel and tire combo.. i have a solid idea but id like to make sure my ideas are correctly thought through for my specific application.. starting with 16x7 explorer teardrop rims with what ive resarched to be 0" offset. (can anyone confirm?) the front will have 245/65/16s and the rear 265/60/16. the car will have the slightly wider rear axle from a 96. i picked that tire size for the stance but they dont seem to be too common. is there a similar combo that you guys recommend in a more common i.e. cheaper size? im shooting for a slight but level tuck all around.
            Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
            Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
            Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

With 17" wheels, a 255/50/17 ends up right about the same diameter as stock so it doesn't fuck up your speedo. https://tiresize.com/height-chart/ Try this for reference but in my searching the sizes I've been interested in usually are super-rare on non-existent. 16" is getting harder to find stuff for as a whole, given the trend toward giant, shitty-looking wagon wheels. 17 or 18 would be as big as i'd ever go but yeah. You want to be somewhere close to 27" diameter tire-wise by the by.

Far as exotic ignition systems, you don't need that bullshit. Mustang guys are making over 700hp with stock distributors and what-not. My brother knows a guy who did 850 on stock ignition crap without even running a box, just a better coil.

Pretty sure you'd be ok with stock-replacement shocks, preferably better ones to match with the stiffer springs.

Comment

It probably also torqued him that my Townie is faster in the 1/4 and made more hp with just a tuned but conventional mass air system. It does seem to need a coil upgrade though, it started breaking up at higher RPM and dyno dude said it sounded like ignition. Its a basic red coil from Summit, a stock Motorshaft may actually be an upgrade.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  Motorshaft

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                    With 17" wheels, a 255/50/17 ends up right about the same diameter as stock so it doesn't fuck up your speedo. https://tiresize.com/height-chart/ Try this for reference but in my searching the sizes I've been interested in usually are super-rare on non-existent. 16" is getting harder to find stuff for as a whole, given the trend toward giant, shitty-looking wagon wheels. 17 or 18 would be as big as i'd ever go but yeah. You want to be somewhere close to 27" diameter tire-wise by the by.

Far as exotic ignition systems, you don't need that bullshit. Mustang guys are making over 700hp with stock distributors and what-not. My brother knows a guy who did 850 on stock ignition crap without even running a box, just a better coil.

Pretty sure you'd be ok with stock-replacement shocks, preferably better ones to match with the stiffer springs.
                    the specs i pulled up on a tire comparison site got me 28.5" dont really care about the under/over sized tire throwing the speedo, thats a whole other animal cause itll be a 5spd. ill sort speedo gears when it comes to it. im just trying to get a feel for fitment of my specific choices before i buy them... i suppose im gonna have to hit my local under the table tire shop. see what hes got in 16

Comment

How wide are those explorer wheels? Probably no wider than 7" I'd guess, 265 is wider than I'd feel comfortable putting on a 7" wheel. I know for 245's an 8" wide wheel is recommended, just for reference. I know people do it, and make it work, but it's not ideal

Also like you said don't be afraid to go bigger. Besides filling the wheel well better, a larger diameter wheel will roll over imperfections and bumps in the road better, helping with ride quality. Decreased sidewall height will negate this a bit, but just don't put rubber bands on the wheels lol. You can always plan speedo gear and tire sizes with online calculators to make sure your speedo is still accurate
                      Last edited by Brown_Muscle; 01-30-2018, 09:57 AM.
                      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                        How wide are those explorer wheels? Probably no wider than 7" I'd guess, 265 is wider than I'd feel comfortable putting on a 7" wheel. I know for 245's an 8" wide wheel is recommended, just for reference. I know people do it, and make it work, but it's not ideal
                        i did take that into consideration. they are 7 wide. but currently have 255s on them anyway i figured a bump larger wouldnt matter. if its gonna be a headache though ill just look for 255. and maybe a 235 for the front.

back in the day i was running 235 60 15s on 15x8 and they looked meaty. but i really dont wanna spend any money on rims yet..and i like the explorer rims because nobody gives them any love, i already have them, AND theyre quite clean. i feel like a stanced out box on Exp. wheels isnt something youd expect.

Comment

My wheels are 8" wide and with the 255 it's a very good combo. Don't have to worry about hitting the wheel on a curb as the sidewall is still pretty meaty and sticks out just enough to protect them without looking baloony. Another thing to watch with going too big in diameter is rubbing, especially if you plan to lower the car. Probably not as big a deal in the rear, but the fronts can rub on the fender lip and inside too. At full lock i get a bit of rub in the fender lip. I rolled the fenders on the other car and that alleviated the problem. Haven't got around to it on this one yet.

You'll likely be ok with the 7" wheel but the tires may be rather bulgy, like a fat chick in yoga pants.

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                            You'll likely be ok with the 7" wheel but the tires may be rather bulgy, like a fat chick in yoga pants.
                            dear ol dad taught me to run oversize since i was a teenager i like em thick anyway..

what profile are you running? are your wheels 15 or 16?

Comment

post #22 shows my old rims. 15x8 with 235 60 r15. that combo is now on the LTD in that pic

Comment

I run 255/50/17 Nittos on my boat. Rides a little stiff but very responsive, especially since it pretty much never rains here and is always warm. These things totally suck in the wet though. Bad traction across the board. If i lived someplace with weather, i'd likely have a set of '98-02 cop wheels with stock-sized firestones on them. The ones i had on my '98 were great tires. As it stands, the only daily-driving my car sees is a very short drive to drop my girls at school, back home and then i drive the work van all day. Car literally sees like 10 miles a week at this point. Oh, also found an intake for you...

http://forums.corral.net/forums/wind...uspension.html For 200 bucks i'd almost buy it for you just to make sure you get it. Seriously, don't pass it up.

Comment

Working...
                                X