No announcement yet.

1982 Mercury Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i have an H4 HID conversion done to the car. these are just new bulbs. my original set of bulbs were more pinkish and 2 bulbs blew. so this time around i went with more purpley tint to go with my new underbody i have. the glare is bad cause its taken on my phone. much more subtle in person. theyre a bixenon style bulb meaning when you flip the brights the bulb tilts upward via electro magnet and gives the illusion of a highbeam. so the way i have the system wired all 4 are on low in the pic and all 4 "get brighter" when i turn on highs. i RARELY, if ever get flashed. plus the car sits relatively lower now compared to before.
    Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
    Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
    Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

update on the ol girl.... if plans follow through this summer, Alesha here will have a low miles pre-smog 351W under the hood
      Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
      Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
      Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

never did an update on the pillar lights or the front valence from last summer. so here those are... valence will be finished up this spring

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140811_131542[1].jpg
Views:	2
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	1277159Click image for larger version

Name:	20140811_131552[1].jpg
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	1277160Click image for larger version

Name:	20140811_131610[1].jpg
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	1277161Click image for larger version

Name:	20140811_131624[1].jpg
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	1277162Click image for larger version

Name:	20140811_131713[1].jpg
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	1277163Click image for larger version

Name:	20140817_181028[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	1277164Click image for larger version

Name:	20140824_084035[1].jpg
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	1277165

Comment

heres the pillars

Name:	20140813_111631.jpg
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1277166Click image for larger version

Name:	20140824_172405.jpg
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	1277167Click image for larger version

Name:	20140824_184302.jpg
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	1277168Click image for larger version

Name:	20140824_180844.jpg
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	1277169Click image for larger version

Name:	20140824_181157.jpg
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	1277170Click image for larger version

Name:	20140824_181204.jpg
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	1277171Click image for larger version

Name:	20140824_181331.jpg
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	1277172Click image for larger version

Name:	20140824_202409.jpg
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	1277173

Comment

finally some decent weather is here, so now begins the teardown of the interior. ill be reagularly updating the thread and showing all you guys whats going on.

im in the process of gutting the interior and stripping all the old dried out cracked and tore up floor liner and fully sound proofing and foaming everything to cancel out any and all road/outside noise. then the new sound system goes in. working on a crazy nice good quality stealth build. wont be running 10 speakers or anything crazy but i do have some high dollar equipment going in so it sounds good. will be retaining the 4 factory locations and possibly something with the dash ones not sure yet. ill keep you posted.

Comment

What brand of sound deadening and stuff are you going to use?

I used Second Skin in the past, and it is AWESOME.
              1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
              Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Second Skin is a good product but expensive (especially the shipping) so I have used Dynamat and it is not bad and MUCH cheaper.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

After MUCH research and I mean MUCH.... I found a product that is identical in every way thats sold at home depot. Its actually used in duct work for a heat shield and vibration deadening. 6" wide and 25ft long priced at $17.. at a fraction of the price for nearly the same product as second skin or dynamat. Ill take a chance. Ive seen it used many times. Ill upload a pic of the product. After that goes down on the big flat areas I plan to spray foam in between all the panels that have air in between that cannot be reached. then spray rubberized undercoat over the foam and around edges the sound deadener wont fit. Next layer is the thick padding you find under house carpet. Thick and reinforced and also helps with insulating. Irs also mildew resistant so thats a perfect fit in case any moisture works its way in. That will be attached with contact cement so it wont harden and crack. Then carpet back in. Ill also be using any/all of the above on/in the trunk and also doors and the roof/headliner
                  Last edited by marquis_82_withneons; 04-05-2015, 03:29 PM.

Comment

I don't remember if it was said but what axle ratio does it have? I imagine with that engine its got tall highway gears, so I'd put a set of 4.10's in there, really take some of the load off.
                    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic View Post
                      I don't remember if it was said but what axle ratio does it have? I imagine with that engine its got tall highway gears, so I'd put a set of 4.10's in there, really take some of the load off.
                      That 255 needs all the help it can get.
                      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Sometimes I like a good under-powered engine, you can go balls to the wall with the engine screaming but not get a speeding ticket. In these big cars, most of the time, I'd rather just slowly cruise than try to win stoplight drags. Around here everyone has sedans and crossovers with these 250-or-so hp V6 engines and they floor it from a stop, so I'm not gonna abuse my car trying to keep up so I don't try.

Anyways, I've never swapped gears but we have trucks at work that have 3.73's and some with 4.10's and you can really feel with the 4.10's how much easier it is to accelerate to cruising speed, and even with the slight raise in rpm, you're not on the throttle as long so it gets better mileage. Makes me want to swap out the 3.73's in my heavy Suburban for 4.10's, maybe 4.56 even.

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic View Post
                          Sometimes I like a good under-powered engine, you can go balls to the wall with the engine screaming but not get a speeding ticket. In these big cars, most of the time, I'd rather just slowly cruise than try to win stoplight drags. Around here everyone has sedans and crossovers with these 250-or-so hp V6 engines and they floor it from a stop, so I'm not gonna abuse my car trying to keep up so I don't try.

Anyways, I've never swapped gears but we have trucks at work that have 3.73's and some with 4.10's and you can really feel with the 4.10's how much easier it is to accelerate to cruising speed, and even with the slight raise in rpm, you're not on the throttle as long so it gets better mileage. Makes me want to swap out the 3.73's in my heavy Suburban for 4.10's, maybe 4.56 even.
                          That's because they have big tires. Big tires + high gears = average compared to a car with 3.55s. But they'll get similar highway mileage and not be such a slug.

"Balls to the wall with the engine screaming, but not getting a ticket."
                          So you like your car being too slow to get a ticket? lol

As for the stoplight..
                          If you aint first, you're last

Is there longer pillar lights? Why are those short, I feel like Towncar ones are longer..

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                          The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                          It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobcat View Post
                            Is there longer pillar lights? Why are those short, I feel like Towncar ones are longer..
                            Those look like the regular GMQ ones. Here's a pic of my old '91 GMQ. I don't mind the height.

Name:	GMQ_IMG_5181.JPG
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	1277307

Also, I'm really digging the front valence. It's going to look bad-ass once it's painted.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Bobcat View Post
                              "Balls to the wall with the engine screaming, but not getting a ticket."
                              So you like your car being too slow to get a ticket? lol

As for the stoplight..
                              If you aint first, you're last
                              I never said that. I just sometimes like to be able to get on it without speeding. My 4Runner for instance, not a ton of power but if I go more than half throttle and let it wind out in a gear, I'll be speeding unless I'm merging on the highway. It feels like I cant use all of it's full potential on city streets, which is at least half of my driving.

To paraphrase Captain Slow, with an under-powered car you can push it to its limit and still be following the traffic laws, so it feels more fun to drive.

That being said, power is never a bad thing. I drove an '11 Mustang GT when it came out and I'd never think it was too quick, and hopefully never get tired of it, get too used to it.

Comment

pillars were pulled probably a good year ago if not more, from a 88-91 body GMQ from a local yard. also pulled the digital clock as well along with ditch lights, and the whole variable wiper and module. dont know yet if ill be able to work that in.

just got around last fall to the pillars. they turned out great and look really good on the slick top, the ditchlights i have to figure out how to make work cause i dont have cutouts for them but i do have the whole housing and hardware.

as for the gearing im assuming i have some pretty doggy ones cause IIRC im usually chilling around 1800 (give or take) going 70ish. dont get me wrong, i like my 255, shes done me good. no issues whatsoever and always been reliable, but the problem is that shes got 163k now and is developing some pretty bad top end noise on startup, most goes away but if you listen you can hear it. either way i have no intention or retaining the cars 100% originality. (my LTD on the otherhand is staying factory as much as i can) but the Merc was pieced together a bit when i got it so i pretty much just having my way. and if all goes to plan, then i will have a nice pre smog 351W nestled between the towers.

Comment

Working...
                                X