No announcement yet.

1982 Mercury Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is an awesome read and a great project. Glad to see you taking such an avid interest in such a funny old car. I currently drive a '98 p71 but am hoping to be in a late '80s box within the next week or so. Can't wait to get my hands dirty on something older and simpler again. I open the hood now, look at the 4.6 and then just sigh and shut it. Nothing doing. Engines don't even look like engines anymore and with stupid California smog laws the earlier stuff is so much easier to play with and not get rousted by the gestapo.

Really enjoyed reading your stuff and wish me luck! Going to look at an '89 on Saturday and if everything is up to snuff, i'll be driving her home.

Comment

That front valence is just cool- reminds me of the muscle cars in Driver Parallel Lines. It's got the right proportions too- it's neither too big nor too small for the rest of the front end. Your car now looks like a street rod from the late 70's or early '80s. The blackout treatment amplifies it even more.

And it's only going to get better; that 351 will do her a lot of good. More power, more reliability, more fun! Rock on mang.
      '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
      '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
      '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

You can adjust valve lash on these engines right, even though they're hydraulic lifters? Maybe the valves just need some adjustment, can't hurt to try, if it can be done.

If the engine runs fine otherwise, some lower gears will really help take the load off and it'll be a lot better to drive until you swap engines. Like I said I've never personally changed mine but at work the same trucks with lower gears just take off with a lot less effort. We've replaced knocking half-million-mile engines before with a fresh one and that's a less noticeable power difference than the gears, which amazes me.
        88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
        Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

thanks for the love guys if you missed it in the previous posts, the valence is from my friends volvo. he had an extra and it was warped. so i took it, split it in half and fit it to the front end and im in the process of fiberglassing together. the finished product will look maaaaad and will house the driving light (mounted on the bumper in the pics)

as for the motor im interested in possibly doing that adjustment. i as well thought that was possible but never looking into it. if anyone has done so or any knowledge of how please chime in.
          Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
          Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
          Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

finally..... its here.. Alesha's new heart. traded off a SBC 305 in return for a pre smog 1971 351 Windsor
            Click image for larger version

Name:	20160315_155048.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	1279046Click image for larger version

Name:	20160315_154948.jpg
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	1279047

now im on the hunt for the bracketry. any and all help regarding this is welcomed, wanted, and appreciated.
            Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
            Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
            Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

Nice! Love to see progress on this ride!
              1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
              Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

went back to steelies for a while because my chrome ones look like shit now.. but i threw these on the other day. 16x7's from my dads 2000 Explorer. no spacers, no rub, no issues. gonna keep the rims for a while and probably put new lower profile tires on them when i lower the car to its final height.

Click image for larger version

Name:	10264748_1029825733755897_1337776002538775157_n.jpg
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	1279058Click image for larger version

Name:	12800294_1029825760422561_2988300907548731866_n.jpg
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	1279059Click image for larger version

Name:	12801407_1029825847089219_2308139299354529623_n.jpg
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	1279060Click image for larger version

Name:	12718401_1029825787089225_3028554467383717376_n.jpg
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	1279061Click image for larger version

Name:	12805779_1029825877089216_8735056018968081130_n.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	1279062

Comment

Those bumpers are sexy. Rest of the car ain't bad, either
                  1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                  Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

both are rough. the front is clean but prev owner drilled holes in for a tow bar. rear has a rust hole. but i have a rough plan to modify and repair the rear and have it re chromed

Comment

Man that car looks good in black. I hope mine comes out half as nice when I paint it black

Comment

Do you know if those are the stock bumpers to that car?

I ask because I am looking for bumper guards for that style bumper that have no provision for the horizontal bumper guards to fit behind those two vertical ones.

I just dont know if they exist or not.
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

hello my fellow panther brethren... i am alive and well!. havent been on lately because alot has happened. and all of it in regards to things in this picture... my new fiance and i have purchased a home! thats right!!! i now have a garage to work on the remaining thing in the picture.. My beloved box merc. the sole reason i found this glorious forum. she is beginning her journey into restomod land.

now for the big reveal... for those who do not know, the ol girl is recieving a presmog 351W. its currently still in its (sitting on the floor for 10yrs) state. but it is a stock 71 windsor from a torino with what was said to be around 60k or so. that will be going under construction with a topend overhaul with a cam upgrade as well as a streetable intake and 4bbl. aside from that the next big reveal is that i will be doing the 5 spd swap on this car!. yessir... many nights bench racing with the homies, "im gonna do it, no im not, yes i am" ive finally decided that to make this car what i want... it has to have a 5spd! ATTACH=CONFIG]46453[/ATTACH]
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                            Do you know if those are the stock bumpers to that car?

I ask because I am looking for bumper guards for that style bumper that have no provision for the horizontal bumper guards to fit behind those two vertical ones.

I just dont know if they exist or not.
                            yes mine are stock. its what i believe to be an exclusive to slicktop low optioned mercs from 79-82 only. i could be wrong on the years. but yes mine are stock and i as well am in need of a pair. my front has holes drilled from prev owners bumper mount tow bar. and the rear has a spot of rust thats come completely through. im damn near about to have mine repaired and rechromed because i cant find any.

Comment

finally getting back around to brainstorming about the racecar.

what engine harness do i need for running efi on my 351?

current rough shopping list...
                              - lightning/marine/aftermarket EFI lower for a 351
                              - explorer/gt40 upper (im under the impression this bolts up to a 351 lower?)
                              - TB (still to be determined)
                              - megasquirt2 or A9P
                              - upgraded fuel pump with in tank sending unit from my 88 GM
                              - 91 and down 351 truck distributor
                              - 36lbs (?) injectors

this is a 71 block that i plan on using with original heads that will be ported. converting to efi, stock but refreshed bottom end, roller cam (possibly roller rocker not sure yet) probably new pistons. this engine WILL be seeing boost. a tolerable daily amount but still boost none the less. so i want to prepare for that in the initial build. probably a few things im missing or unaware of, just ask me, this is all a learning experience for me.

Comment

panther harnesses basically fit. You can use whatever you want but one out of a car that is shaped the same will save you some headaches of just getting things to reach.
                                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                                X