Low-cost, high-torque 302

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low-cost, high-torque 302

A friend has 302 from burned-down CrownVic that we want to liven up a bit. As the EFI is toast and it doesn't have to be emission compliant, we're probably going with carb. He doesn't want a high-RPM screamer, he's more interested in torque.

I suggested usual Edelbrock Performer cam/intake manifold/carb combo - is there anything better out there? We would like to avoid swapping heads, and certainly want stock rotating assembly. Will there be a significant power/torque gain from the Edelbrock stuff? Or is it necessary to swap heads for any reasonable performance?

We have limited budget and parts are quite expensive around here (Czech Republic) - especially anything heavy, due to shipping. And so are engines, so finding a 5.0 HO is not an option.

Any ideas? Thanks a lot!

You'll get a little extra power from the bigger cam, intake, and carb. But, if the cam is still a "torque" cam, you're talking under 200hp at the crankshaft. You really, really need to do something about the heads to get performance. They're super restrictive and have no compression.

Honestly though, if he really is just looking for torque (what is he using it for? I find a lot of people SAY they want torque, but don't realize that's just a way to build a slow engine unless they're increasing displacement), he won't do much better than stock parts. Stay with a stock cam, and add the intake and carb. These engines were already made for making gobs of torque from the factory, so unless you add displacement you're not going to build much more torque than a fresh set of stock parts.

For 1100 bucks extra (here, so who knows to ship it there) he could add some Trick Flow or AFR heads and have something with the same torque but at least 50 more horsepower than stock. It'd still not be a high-rpm screamer, but would rev higher than stock. If he didn't wanna rev it high, he'd still have more HP at the stock shift points and would save 50+ pounds of weight too.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

The performer and cam with a small carb will improve performance with the stock heads. Some E7 heads could be installed if found. The bigger trick flow or AFR would reduce low end and actualy with a performer intake not realy produce much more power if any as the performer intake would limit there increased air flow. The E7 heads are not all that unported they flow less than most the older 289/302 heads stock.
      Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

plenty of ideads, but what exactly is this engine going in? what are the goals?
        89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

From my experience the biggest increase in output will be from free flowing exhaust. My coupe has straight H pipes with no bends after cats and no mufflers. Now I can do donuts on dry pavement even with crappy 3.08 gears whereas it didn't have enough guts to do so with stock single.
          “Cars are the only thing on earth that will beat you, break you, make you bleed, make you cry, spend all your money, spend all your time, not work and not care that you will love more, the more they abuse you.” -Anonymous

Comment

Another things are: ditch a/c and air pump convert to 3g alternator and put electric fan in.
            “Cars are the only thing on earth that will beat you, break you, make you bleed, make you cry, spend all your money, spend all your time, not work and not care that you will love more, the more they abuse you.” -Anonymous

Comment

If you can find an Explorer 302, that's pretty much what you're looking for, low end torque with more top end than a Crown Vic 302. The main restriction on the Explorer 302 is the exhaust, so headers and 2.5" duals or 3" single depending on the application will be a big improvement. If you want to, look for used 5.0 HO manifolds if any are available and have catless downpipes made and run 2.25" duals with performance mufflers, that'll help.
              88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
              Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Yes what they said or put a larger motor in 351 is good choice.I have a friend who got hold of a chevy corvette engine and with a whole lot of trouble installed it and let me just say his 1991 Ford crown victoria is very fast if it had wings it would fly.I have driven it and man o man it really run's AWESOME!!!!

Comment

a magnum 318 in a box would be pretty cool

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

those 318 V8's are pretty dang tough. I wouldn't frown too hard on that.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                    X